GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VA-CA-VA... Again!

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Some cool pictures in this thread. Glad you made it off the mountain ok and documented this trip.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Those circles are from center pivot irrigation...or aliens.

We have them in VA, too. I had assumed that they were moved around by tractors as needed... and in rectangular plots. HAHA! Once I saw other irrigation setups in Iowa, it was clear that they were center-fed. Even then, it only recently occurred to me that they may be propelled by the water pressure instead of tractors, much like a self-propelled sprinkler for a home yard. It's amazing to still be surprised by old technology.

Side note, I think I heard Ron White decided to put the Scotch down. Good for him. I heard you say you don’t drink on one of your YT videos. That makes at least 2 of us on this forum.

Ron White put down the Scotch because of a business endeavor with a different drink. Although I'm pretty sure he's having financial troubles these days as a result of not being able to work but still having to pay $25k/mo in alimony. As for me not drinking, it's never been my thing. I tried a few drinks when I was young, but never liked any of them. I recall caving to some peer pressure and then feeling like a pushover afterwards. From then on, I'd politely decline at first and then become (calmly) very offensive afterwards. Eventually, either because my peer group got more mature or they didn't like being belittled, the answers to my declines became "Oh, that's cool" instead of "but if you [blah, blah, blah]." Later, I concluded that I may be allergic to alcohol. Once I learned what it looks like to blackout (not by alcohol), I realized that I had began to blackout after only a few ounces in the past. I never blacked-out; I just saw the constricting visual circles that come before a blackout. I was already long-set against my own drinking by then (I'm not offended by others who drink). So, I don't use my "allergy" as a crutch. Still, it was an interesting discovery.

More photos to follow...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

General Sherman Tree is massive! It's neither the widest nor the tallest in the forest. But it carries the most girth farther up its trunk, which makes it the most massive tree in the world. I'll share photos of General Sherman later.

Thanks for hanging out through this nutty story!
That pic.....make it look like I should stick a penny in the back of your car......it's like an Alice in Wonderland pic

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I left Rawlins bright and early. The drivers of the pickup trucks that parked around me are early birds! They were already gone long before sunrise. I knew I-80 would be endless miles of boredom. That's what I was hoping for, at least. There are a lot of mountain passes and opportunities to find closed gates if unexpected snow came. I didn't see anything in the forecast, but that didn't preclude the possibility of a mountain pass being closed. My only priority on this day was to get "Been There" mugs for my wife. There aren't many Starbucks along I-80 in Wyoming. Laramie looked to be my first option. SUCCESS! From there, I dipped into Colorado with my sole mission being... you guess it... another "Been There Mug." Fort Collins was the closest Starbucks. I entered Colorado via Hwy 287. It was scenic and not crowded. It was the first state that I entered with a sign stating that masks were required in all public areas. "Hmmm, even outdoors?" Even as I entered Fort Collins, a seemingly busy place, I didn't spot anyone outside that might signal to me the social climate regarding masks. I did spot a few folks wearing masks while driving alone in their cars. But that's not my thing. I wore a mask into Starbucks, bought my stuff, and left. I still had fuel, food, and water. So, I had no need to find out how serious the state was about it... unless I was stopped by police for not wearing a mask in my car. :ROFLMAO:

I drove along Hwy 14 and was surprised at how much farmland I saw. I never associated Colorado with farms. It seems ignorant, but it's simply not a part of their image. I think most people imagine snow, mountains, skiing, and ranching with the state; not farms. But there they were, lots and lots of fields being prepared for this years planting. I didn't take any photos... they'd be quite boring. I took just one photo in Colorado... and it doesn't look very "Colorado" at all... ;)

My goal was to reach North Platte, NE. I got there ahead of schedule, so, I continued to Kearney. I grabbed a "Been There" mug in North Platte. That's three mugs in one day, perhaps a record, but who cares? :rolleyes: I stopped in Kearney around 4pm. It was nice to get settled early. I like to park where I can see the car from my hotel room. But that wasn't an option. But I did find tandem parking spots... so, that was good. I decided to visit a burger place next door, "Angus Burgers & Shakes." I looked over the menu and ONE thing jumped out at me. Remember my craving for good country-fried steak? Well, check out this country-fried steak burger...

I was messy, but delicious. If it had stopped my heart that night, it would have been worth it! o_O The next morning, I came out to my car and saw that a Mk7 had parked next to me. It had snow tires mounted and all-seasons on a hitch carrier...

The low clearance of this rack reminded me of why I chose a rack with about three inches of rise out of the hitch. My very first hitch rack was like this one. I used it on my Mk3 Jetta on a cross-country transfer. It dragged on nearly every driveway or uneven intersection. I had to carry extra carriage bolts since they inevitably got ground away. This carrier's bolt looked good. Perhaps the shorter overhang of the Golf make it less likely to drag... maybe. Here's my setup on my trip so many years ago, back when digital cameras shot in VGA... :sleep:

My goal was to stop near Kansas City to meet someone. But I almost forgot a stop. I wanted to see if I could get a "Been There" mug from Iowa. The closest opportunity was in Creston. I set my navi for a detour. I left the interstate and drove along a back-country road. This detour was certainly costing me time. So, I didn't make any stops for photos. I was enjoying the drive, blissfully unaware that I was about to hear, "DING!" What? DOH! Low fuel? How did I let this happen?! And guess what? I had dumped my extra fuel into the tank in California because I was certain that these stretches of road were all behind me. Usually, this chime would be accompanied by a note telling me that I had 50-ish miles left on my tank. That's usually enough. But, with the trailer in tow, that number was just 35 miles. Guess how far the closest fuel station in any direction was? THIRTY-FIVE MILES, which happened to be near my destination. Would I make it? I knocked 5-mph from my cruising speed to conserve fuel. My range counter reached zero about five miles outside of town. I stopped at a station with "Premium" unleaded... sort of...

I was stumped! I don't know anything about how ethanol fuels rate on the anti-knock index. I opted to put just one gallon of the 87 AKI, which was labeled "Premium," and then found a top tier station on the other end of town. I found the Starbucks, but it was inside a grocery store. UGH! Those don't usually have merch. But I lucked out. Although this Starbucks was just a kiosk, it had a full staff and lots of merch racks. I got the Iowa "Been There" mug and detoured to Kansas City. Oddly enough, now that I had detoured to IA, the trip back to KC was a detour since it was out of my direct path toward home. But the KC visit was special...

I had sent one of my ham radios to a gentleman near KC to replace a failing display. He installed a new LCD and did a check-up of the radio. When it came back to Virginia, I saw a piece of fuzz on the display and tried to wipe it away. "Crap!" The fuzz was INSIDE. I attempted to disassemble and clean it, but got only so far before deciding that I'd rather just get him to do it. Apparently, a single strand from his Q-Tip got left behind when he cleaned the new display. I could have mailed the display back, but why not just visit him along my journey. He was open to it and was glad to help. He's a retired engineer who works out of his basement shop "just to stay out of trouble," he said. Here's his shop, with plenty of work to keep him busy...

Here's my ham radio setup, if you haven't seen it before...

I recently tried a different mounting location, but didn't like it. So far, this has been the most functional place to mount everything, other than the fact that my vent is blocked. I didn't talk on the radios on this trip. I monitored 146.52 MHz (national calling frequency), CB channel 19 (receive-only), and scanned the FRS/GMRS band. I didn't hear much, which was okay. I was content to listen to music and podcasts.

I continued to Columbia, MO. It was a long day, so, no more photos. I'll share more later...

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I left Rawlins bright and early. The drivers of the pickup trucks that parked around me are early birds! They were already gone long before sunrise. I knew I-80 would be endless miles of boredom. That's what I was hoping for, at least. There are a lot of mountain passes and opportunities to find closed gates if unexpected snow came. I didn't see anything in the forecast, but that didn't preclude the possibility of a mountain pass being closed. My only priority on this day was to get a "Been There" mug for Wyoming for my wife. There aren't many Starbucks along I-80 in Wyoming. Laramie looked to be my first option. SUCCESS! From there, I dipped into Colorado with my sole mission being... you guess it... another "Been There Mug." Fort Collins was the closest Starbucks. I entered Colorado via Hwy 287. It was scenic and not crowded. It was the first state that I entered with a sign stating that masks were required in all public areas. "Hmmm, even outdoors?" Even as I entered Fort Collins, a seemingly busy place, I didn't spot anyone outside that might signal to me the social climate regarding masks. I did spot a few folks wearing masks while driving alone in their cars. But that's not my thing. I wore a mask into Starbucks, bought my stuff, and left. I still had fuel, food, and water. So, I had no need to find out how serious the state was about it... unless I was stopped by police for not wearing a mask in my car. :ROFLMAO:

I drove along Hwy 14 and was surprised at how much farmland I saw. I never associated Colorado with farms. It seems ignorant, but it's simply not a part of their image. I think most people imagine snow, mountains, skiing, and ranching with the state; not farms. But there they were, lots and lots of fields being prepared for this years planting. I didn't take any photos... they'd be quite boring. I took just one photo in Colorado... and it doesn't look very "Colorado" at all... ;)

My goal was to reach North Platte, NE. I got there ahead of schedule, so, I continued to Kearney. I grabbed a "Been There" mug in North Platte. That's three mugs in one day, perhaps a record, but who cares? :rolleyes: I stopped in Kearney around 4pm. It was nice to get settled early. I like to park where I can see the car from my hotel room. But that wasn't an option. But I did find tandem parking spots... so, that was good. I decided to visit a burger place next door, "Angus Burgers & Shakes." I looked over the menu and ONE thing jumped out at me. Remember my craving for good country-fried steak? Well, check out this country-fried steak burger...

I was messy, but delicious. If it had stopped my heart that night, it would have been worth it! o_O The next morning, I came out to my car and saw that a Mk7 had parked next to me. It had snow tires mounted and all-seasons on a hitch carrier...

The low clearance of this rack reminded me of why I chose a rack with about three inches of rise out of the hitch. My very first hitch rack was like this one. I used it on my Mk3 Jetta on a cross-country transfer. It dragged on nearly every driveway or uneven intersection. I had to carry extra carriage bolts since they inevitably got ground away. This carrier's bolt looked good. Perhaps the shorter overhang of the Golf make it less likely to drag... maybe. Here's my setup on my trip so many years ago, back when digital cameras shot in VGA... :sleep:

My goal was to stop near Kansas City to meet someone. But I almost forgot a stop. I wanted to see if I could get a "Been There" mug from Iowa. The closest opportunity was in Creston. I set my navi for a detour. I left the interstate and drove along a back-country road. This detour was certainly costing me time. So, I didn't make any stops for photos. I was enjoying the drive, blissfully unaware that I was about to hear, "DING!" What? DOH! Low fuel? How did I let this happen?! And guess what? I had dumped my extra fuel into the tank in California because I was certain that these stretches of road were all behind me. Usually, this chime would be accompanied by a note telling me that I had 50-ish miles left on my tank. That's usually enough. But, with the trailer in tow, that number was just 35 miles. Guess how far the closest fuel station in any direction was? THIRTY-FIVE MILES, which happened to be near my destination. Would I make it? I knocked 5-mph from my cruising speed to conserve fuel. My range counter reached zero about five miles outside of town. I stopped at a station with "Premium" unleaded... sort of... I'm not sure why this image isn't displaying for me. See it HERE.

I was stumped! I don't know anything about how ethanol fuels rate on the anti-knock index. I opted to put just one gallon of the 87 AKI, which was labeled "Premium," and then found a top tier station on the other end of town. I found the Starbucks, but it was inside a grocery store. UGH! Those don't usually have merch. But I lucked out. Although this Starbucks was just a kiosk, it had a full staff and lots of merch racks. I got the Iowa "Been There" mug and detoured to Kansas City. Oddly enough, now that I had detoured to IA, the trip back to KC was a detour since it was out of my direct path toward home. But the KC visit was special...

I had sent one of my ham radios to a gentleman near KC to replace a failing display. He installed a new LCD and did a check-up of the radio. When it came back to Virginia, I saw a piece of fuzz on the display and tried to wipe it away. "Crap!" The fuzz was INSIDE. I attempted to disassemble and clean it, but got only so far before deciding that I'd rather just get him to do it. Apparently, a single strand from his Q-Tip got left behind when he cleaned the new display. I could have mailed the display back, but why not just visit him along my journey. He was open to it and was glad to help. He's a retired engineer who works out of his basement shop "just to stay out of trouble," he said. Here's his shop, with plenty of work to keep him busy...

Here's my ham radio setup, if you haven't seen it before...

I recently tried a different mounting location, but didn't like it. So far, this has been the most functional place to mount everything, other than the fact that my vent is blocked. I didn't use the radios on this trip. I monitored 146.52 MHz (national calling frequency), CB channel 19 (receive-only), and scanned the FRS/GMRS band. I didn't hear much, which was okay. I was content to listen to music and podcasts.

I continued to Columbia, MO. It was a long day, so, no more photos. I'll share more later...
You're like Batman.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
CFS sandwich 🤤

Yeah, out of everything, that's what caught my attention

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The end of the trip is near...

You're like Batman.

HAHA! I wish I was more like Bruce Wayne. 🤑

CFS sandwich 🤤

Yeah, out of everything, that's what caught my attention

It was a little more than just a CFS sandwich. It had fried eggs and country gravy on it, too! Yummy!

As I was digging in my suitcase and deciding what to wear, I saw a strange color that surely was not my normal thing. "What's this?"

A kid somewhere is upset! :cry: I guess that's an aspect of laundromat-life that I had forgotten about. I don't think I had this happen before, even when I was a regular at laundromats. Live and learn, I guess.

I left Columbia just after sunrise and planned to drive to Springfield, OH. Why the turn north? I saw an opportunity to enter Pennsylvania for another "Been There" mug. Coincidentally, someone commented on my trailer in IG about a month before I left on this trip. He's near Pittsburgh. So, I offered to meet him and show him the trailer in person. Some of you may recognize him. More on that later...

I blindly followed the Google Maps navigation prompts and was surprised to have driven around St Louis without even a glimpse of the arch. I wasn't disappointed... I had no plan to stop for a photo. It was just a surprise. I spotted this minature substitute when I stopped for fuel and lunch...

I continued to Springfield and stopped for the night...

I haven't been taking any photos because I'm trying to keep on a schedule. I had attractions to target out west, but I'm in the mode of packing-in miles at this point. I left Springfield before 6am and headed toward Pittsburgh. I found a Starbucks as I entered the western end of PA. I didn't know the town, only that the line for the drive-thru was CRAZY-long. If you've watched my video series on my previous trip to CA, then you know that I don't believe ANY food/drink is worth waiting in that. But, I was on a mission. I stunt-parked the trailer and went inside. There was a line there, too, but it wasn't bad. They had plenty of "Been There" mugs. So, I was golden.

Later, I saw a comment on one of my IG photos: "StealthGTI spotted at Starbucks in Hermitage, PA!" He said he thought it might be me, judging from the car and trailer. But seeing my parking style sealed my identity. I wish he would have said hello. We probably were both waiting in line at the same time. HAHA! I had to circle the area upon exiting due to my trailer. That's when I saw the REST of the drive-thru line. There had to have been 30 cars in it. The last car was almost in the intersection. I captured some video and will feature it in a future video. The IG follower told me that Starbucks is ALWAYS that busy. No thanks! I'd change stores or habits at that point. :ROFLMAO:

I continued to my lunchtime stopover. Does anyone recognize this guy?

It's Russell, aka "MedicMagic" (magic-magic). We met at the secret lair where a lot of his videos are shot. He was joined by his wife, Ben (the owner of the business), and TeddyWestside412. We had a good time talking about the YouTube experience. He grilled cheeseburgers for lunch. I stayed for about three hours and then continued to my last hotel stay in Morgantown, WV. I stopped at a DQ along the way to check my e-mail and IG...

Long parking spots make my life easier! But I had also gotten better and squeezing the car and trailer into just two parking spots. Here's an elevated view of my park-job...

I might have been able to move the combination over just a little. But I was within the lines and, for now, away from other hotel guests. I went to my room and discovered that I was in adjoining rooms. The women next door were noisy. UGH! I could deal with the loud talking... it's their right and possibly their way. But the adjoining door rattled every time they let their main door slam. In and out, in and out for what seemed like an eternity. I consider asking for a different room. But I knew I could turn on a fan to drown them out. Do I plan to exact revenge at 5am? They were already awake. Thankfully, they didn't wake me up. Do they EVER shut up? They probably talk in their sleep, too! :rolleyes:

I heard some drama unfolding as I left the hotel. Apparently, someone had accidentally dropped their car key into this hotel room key deposit slot...

DAMN, I hope it was them! And this could be them, too...

Some think that my "stunt parking" is rude. I think they fail to see the big picture. Unlike the driver of this Suburban, I try to minimize negative impact to others. With no tandem parking available, I could easily take three spots, maybe even four, if I want to avoid having other cars block me at each end. Jackknifed into just two spots, I free-up one or two parking spaces for other guests AND position myself to avoid being blocked by other cars. "Win-win" in my book. By the way, I used to know someone who would've parked his jalopy Mk3 right against the driver door of that Suburban. :oops:

My drive home was fairly uneventful. I drove through the switchbacks of Monongahela and George Washington National Forests. It was beautiful, but I didn't stop for photos. I had case of barn fever and was ready to get home. My use of the term "barn fever" has me thinking of this sign that was in a hotel elevator somewhere out west...

An IG follower commented that people today don't know what "horseplay" means, suggesting that the term fell out of use with our grandparents. I disagree, especially since that photo was taken someplace where horses are seen more frequently than just on TV. :p "Barn fever," though, is a little less common. Toward the end of a ride, some horses will recognize their surroundings and begin to walk faster. Once they see their barn or know it's close by, they may even begin to trot, if not controlled. They're excited and ready to get inside and relax, maybe get a feed sack strapped-on. Well, that's me, even the feed sack! I knew that I was just hours from home and stopped being interested in smelling the roses. Go, go, go!

I did opt to take this amusing photo while stopped for food and fuel...

His position and posture was reminiscent of someone who's pumping gas. "Wait for it to stop, then pump again until it clicks just one more time. DONE!" :sneaky: I continued home, arriving around 3pm. That was plenty early enough to unpack the trailer, which happened super-fast with some help. As I suspected, the pretty walls in my trailer took a little beating...

Even the ceiling and cabinet are scuffed! No worries, though. This is a cargo trailer first and a camper second. I'm not repainting. The car still has dirt and sand from Sequioa National Forest. Washing will wait. It's pollen season here...

The pollen is so bad that the top of the car would be covered in pollen before I could even finish drying the bottom. In fact, my wife had just washed the other two cars. This is after a few hours. I'll give it few days and wait for the pollen pods to drop to the ground.

If you're still with me, I just want to say thanks for following along. I'm releasing video updates about this trip each Thursday. I don't think they'll reveal anything that's not covered here. But, if you like videos...

Take Care!

Scott

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Awesome Scott! Happy you arrived home safe and sound.

I’m planning to buy a full size neuspeed spare for my trip. Is that a spare in the trailer?

Also, do you have an upgraded IC? If so, which one?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks! BTW, I forgot to share my fuel economy stats. Being a former TDI owner, I still love to track it. Come to think of it, I tracked MPGs from the day I got my first car, a 1973 Beetle in 1986. Overall, I drove 7668 miles and burned 352 gallons of premium unleaded. That puts my overall fuel economy at 21.7 mpg, which is 1.3 mpg less than on my previous trip to CA. I had hoped that the cargo trailer would be more aerodynamic than the top-loaded utility trailer. However, the cargo trailer is heavier, wider, and taller; plus, I think some of my speeds were consistently higher along the way. I suspect I-80 may be slightly more mountainous than I-40, too. I haven't broken down costs, hotels, fuel, and food separately. I don't want to! But I do know that it was an expensive way to get a small amount of my mother's stuff. Still this was more about the journey than the acquisition of goods.

ack_attack

Passed Driver's Ed
Great write-up of a fantastic (and sometimes harrowing) trip!d

I remember those pollen days from when I lived in VA. With a light rain, some less travelled areas can get quite slippery.

Too bad about not hitting I-70 through UT and CO. I drove that 2 years ago on the way back from the Grand Canyon - it was fabulous!

Maybe on your next road trip...😉

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I finished processing the Texas and White Sands photos from my DSLR. I had already shared photos of the Falkenstein Castle. The DSLR photos have deeper color, I think. Plus, I was able to manipulate the image to give the illusion that I'm closer to the castle. See the difference...

Then there's the photos from White Sands.

I was able to uncouple the trailer and get some car-only shots. This one was made by fusing three different exposures and then adding a fourth shot to the mix...

The rest are fairly "standard..."

Of course, I was never far from my trailer during all of this...

I'm going to share some of these in the Reflex Silver thread. Thanks for looking.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I feel like I've come to the end of a great book and I didn't want the story to end. Thank you so much for sharing your journey.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
White Sands is beautiful....it's like a Tatooine landscape. I actually proposed to my wife on one of the sand dunes, having driven up from El Paso.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks!

White Sands is beautiful....it's like a Tatooine landscape. I actually proposed to my wife on one of the sand dunes, having driven up from El Paso.

That's pretty cool! You could have pushed her down the slope if she had said no. :ROFLMAO: Just kidding! My White Sands video will feature a photo of my daughter wiping-out during a sled ride down the dunes. It was a warped image that entered my head when visualizing a proposal there. I've been looking at that video for too long! o_O

I feel like I've come to the end of a great book and I didn't want the story to end. Thank you so much for sharing your journey.

HAHA! Thanks! I have an addendum: I almost forgot to update my "States Traveled" map. As I updated it, I realized that I had forgotten to add Kansas last year, too. This map is up to date...

The color key: Red is the car's first drive. From there, light blue is my first road trip (Tail of the Dragon), orange is a Thanksgiving trip to STL, green is a trip to DE to buy some wheels, yellow is a trip to PA to buy some wheels (I'm a wheel whore), purple is a quick blast to ME... you get the idea. I used a new color each time a trip resulted in traveling in a state that my GTI hadn't touched yet. Personally, I've been to nearly all of the states (not MN or ND). This map represents where my GTI has been. Florida's looking lonely down there. It may be my next conquest. The northern states will probably have to wait until next year ($$$). Hopefully, the car will still be in good enough shape to travel by then. One thing is certain - I won't be pulling a trailer on that trip! :cool: