GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New member and new to golf’s/gti’s. Advice wanted.

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
I had mods but these get dirty valves by 30K on stock, and manifold issues according to the dealer. I believe the manifold is a service bulletin by now.

Good to know. Is this the walnut blasting I keep reading on line (sorry.. really new to turbo engines >_<)

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Yes. 36K on a Mk7 would be crazy early, but if it was a city car that only did short runs, it's possible. It's a <$500 remedy though.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Don't feel bad they sold the car. You probably dodged a bullet. Sounded like they were chasing some issue you don't want to have to take over. Plenty of good GTI's out there.

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
Yes. 36K on a Mk7 would be crazy early, but if it was a city car that only did short runs, it's possible. It's a <$500 remedy though.
For my own education, how short of a drive are we talking about here? I’m assuming you would start to see symptoms of this issue if you are driving the car (ie. decreased engine performance, decrease mpg, idling issue?)

Don't feel bad they sold the car. You probably dodged a bullet. Sounded like they were chasing some issue you don't want to have to take over. Plenty of good GTI's out there.

Thanks bud! I don’t feel bad at all, and definitely still on the hunt

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
For my own education, how short of a drive are we talking about here? I’m assuming you would start to see symptoms of this issue if you are driving the car (ie. decreased engine performance, decrease mpg, idling issue?)
It takes about 10 minutes of driving to get the engine fully warmed up, so if that's all you did and you never drove it hard it'd build up carbon faster than people that actually drive their car. The carbon build up happens on top of the valves, nothing to do with the intake manifold. You have to take the manifold off for a carbon cleaning, and the manifolds can leak sometimes, so when people replace the manifold they'll often do the carbon cleaning at the same time. Carbon build up can cause misfires and a rough idle, much like a manifold with a leak.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
It depends on many factors, but moisture doesn't start being driven out of the oil until the oil temperature reaches about 180 degrees. This could take 5 minutes or 20 minutes, depending on conditions and how the car is driven. I know people who own GDI cars that drive 5 blocks to the train station twice a day and drive another vehicle on the weekends. Another factor, which you will see here, is people who drive by the MFI average mileage gauge to maximize fuel mileage and range. If you lightfoot the car around tank after tank, you're going to get buildup.

Symptoms are misfiring, stumbling, rough running, fuel mileage loss, and overall flat engine response.

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
It depends on many factors, but moisture doesn't start being driven out of the oil until the oil temperature reaches about 180 degrees. This could take 5 minutes or 20 minutes, depending on conditions and how the car is driven. I know people who own GDI cars that drive 5 blocks to the train station twice a day and drive another vehicle on the weekends. Another factor, which you will see here, is people who drive by the MFI average mileage gauge to maximize fuel mileage and range. If you lightfoot the car around tank after tank, you're going to get buildup.

Symptoms are misfiring, stumbling, rough running, fuel mileage loss, and overall flat engine response.

Gotcha. Yea I never light foot my car tank after tank. My girlfriend and I share a 2015 Toyota Corolla and you can tell who drives the car when the mpg drops lol. I tell her you gotta drive the car “hard” at times to help the life of the engine, but what do I know lol.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Gotcha. Yea I never light foot my car tank after tank. My girlfriend and I share a 2015 Toyota Corolla and you can tell who drives the car when the mpg drops lol. I tell her you gotta drive the car “hard” at times to help the life of the engine, but what do I know lol.

not a Toyota you don’t. I would bet nearly all the 300K+ mile corollas out there have been owned by old women and boring dads who wear white new balance tennis shoes

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
not a Toyota you don’t. I would bet nearly all the 300K+ mile corollas out there have been owned by old women and boring dads who wear white new balance tennis shoes

I guess I should have prefaced “hard driving” - pushing the car over 70 mph every now and then not daily lol. She usually doesn’t go above 65 despite what the speed limit says.
I happen to enjoy my new balances and my air monarchs thank you very much.

She enjoys her new balances as well :).. they are quite comfy and provide excellent arch support

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
If you do end up purchasing the vehicle, please have it inspected by an independent mechanic within your return period. At a minimum I would want to see what those pistons look like under boroscope since they did so much work chasing a misfire.

Just a small note... DO NOT buy it and then try to inspect it... Unless they say it, Florida, were OP is from, and most states, do not have a "cool off" period... if you drive out the lot with the used car after signing the contract, its your problem... Unless its a Private listing.... I don't see how you can do a PPI....

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
Just a small note... DO NOT buy it and then try to inspect it... Unless they say it, Florida, were OP is from, and most states, do not have a "cool off" period... if you drive out the lot with the used car after signing the contract, its your problem... Unless its a Private listing.... I don't see how you can do a PPI....

Thanks for the advice Hans. The vehicle has already been sold a couple of days back. Been back to the grind of finding new prospects.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
The carbon build up happens on top of the valves, nothing to do with the intake manifold.
The intake manifold bolts up right to the top of the valves. My carbon build up in my mk7 gti was so bad that I had carbon caked on the flaps on the manifold causing them to get stuck. Ended up replacing the intake manifold as well as a carbon clean. You should definitely inspect your runner flaps on the IM anytime you clean the valves.

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
The intake manifold bolts up right to the top of the valves. My carbon build up in my mk7 gti was so bad that I had carbon caked on the flaps on the manifold causing them to get stuck. Ended up replacing the intake manifold as well as a carbon clean. You should definitely inspect your runner flaps on the IM anytime you clean the valves.

Around how many miles into the car were you that this happened if you don’t mind me asking. Love the cat as well :)