GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emission Service Action 24FX

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
People can have their opinions. Mine is that I see noticeable changes. Slightly higher cold start rpms as noted. Overall smoothness (subjective) improvement. When shifting manually in D or S mode I see a definite delay before it will go back to D or S without touching the paddles.
Tried that today. I was in S and I pulled a paddle. Did it several times. I counted 5 Mississippi’s. Each time it went from manual back to S. Same timing before the 24fx update.

as far as smoothness. Feels the same. To me there was no improvement. But by the same token it doesn’t feel worse or anything like that.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just got the letter today in the mail. My 2020 MK7.5 GTI is EQT Stage 2 tuned, so won't be going anytime soon. I guess I'll seat back and watch how this evolve as more people conduct this update and report back. Back in my old M3 days I just flashed back to stock and took the car for any kind of work.
No CANBUS.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Well, I took a half day and went for a 90 mile errand-running drive, mixed highway and local roads. I also stopped by the office to pick up 2 of my 27s off the desk to use at home (likely not back in til 2022), so I have a good idea how it usually feels.

Cold start sounds much less like a tractor, it's still there, but the duration is shorter (2sec vs 15ish secs).

Start/Stop shutdown is smoother, less jolting/jarring.

Other than those, I can't feel any tangible difference while driving. D mode still lugs along at the lowest possible RPM, S mode feels exactly the same.
My tractor sounds during cold start actually seems like it goes away quicker than usual. Also, the secondary air pump is definitely louder. Happens almost instantly, u hear the pump blowing/sucking but after a few seconds it disappears. Before 24fx the pump would hiss during cold start for about 60-80% of the cold start procedure’s time.

this was all I’ve noticed on the stock gli so far.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My tractor sounds during cold start actually seems like it goes away quicker than usual. Also, the secondary air pump is definitely louder. Happens almost instantly, u hear the pump blowing/sucking but after a few seconds it disappears. Before 24fx the pump would hiss during cold start for about 60-80% of the cold start procedure’s time.

this was all I’ve noticed on the stock gli so far.
From what I read the update was strictly for emissions and your experience seems to validate that.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
I dunno wtf you people are talking about

just had 24fx done. GTI and gli feel the same. No differences at all. The pedal in D still feels the same.

the only thing that I noticed was cold start revs was maybe 100-200rpm higher than usual. And even then I hardly paid attention to it.

dsg farts or whatever seemed the same too.
placebo is a strange thing isnt it? it's why people will put in a k&n filter and think their car's faster.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
placebo is a strange thing isnt it? it's why people will put in a k&n filter and think their car's faster.
I was thinking about this last night. When the car is in a state of relearning due to the flash, battery disconnect etc. it can make the car feel like a dog, or peppy, or the same.

I figure it’s either placebo or the learning?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was thinking about this last night. When the car is in a state of relearning due to the flash, battery disconnect etc. it can make the car feel like a dog, or peppy, or the same.

With the original tune, my car felt great after they reset the adaptions. It got worse and worse with time and driving hard, so it's valid point that car can feel differently over time after a reset, whether that's better or worse.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG

Yeah, this was an alternate theory I had in mind if the update doesn't actually change anything that would make it drive better for some. I think this is the more plausible theory too unless we receive confirmation from a reliable source that the update does affect engine tuning somehow that would make our cars feel differently, as observed by some.

My car was a leftover 2019 that I bought in the summer of 2020, so it had been around a while. Assuming an adaptation reset occurred with the update, the car should be learning my habits more and shouldn't be responding/driving based on however it was driven the little bit it was while it sat on a dealer lot (which must not have been too spiritedly based on how it felt prior to the update).

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Auto stop-start being much smoother is certainly not a placebo effect.