GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

F80 M3 to Golf R

Penta23

Car(s)
Golf R
Hi All
Recently sold my F80 M3 and looking at options. Keen on the Golf R and found one with a fair bit of aftermarket work on it. Looking for advice on things to look out for? Much appreciated.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Look out for aftermarket work.

Seriously though you've given us no information so that's all I can tell you.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I'm looking to do the opposite in the near future lol.
Well, GTI to F80. But an R is also in the equation.
Why'd you get rid of it?

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
I went from an F80 M3 CS to my 2019 Golf R and am very happy. I found a stock like new one. If you favor your warranty i would look for a previous tune. They are in demand as of late and used car prices are nuts for these. Good luck as they are great cars.

Penta23

Car(s)
Golf R

my bad! some of the mods below;
Aftermarket list:
Mode Downpipe
Mode Intake Duct
Mode Intake kit
Mode Intake Elbow
Mode Stage 2 ECU Tune Mode
TCU/DSG Tune
Mode Wheel Spacers
Mode Paddle Shifters
H&R Sway Bar Front/Rear
AWE Switchpath Valve Control Remote
Eibach Lowering Springs (went for the comfiest option)

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Hi All
Recently sold my F80 M3 and looking at options. Keen on the Golf R and found one with a fair bit of aftermarket work on it. Looking for advice on things to look out for? Much appreciated.
curious what drove you to sell the M3?

I don't think I want to trade my R for one, but my wife and I want to get something in the M3 / RS5 Sportback (no RS4 here), or even the M340i or S4/5 Sportback range. Maybe more so the latter for her commutes and road trips. The catch is my wife really would prefer an EV, so there is only one option that fits the range we need to visit her family.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Aftermarket list:
Mode Downpipe
Mode Intake Duct
Mode Intake kit
Mode Intake Elbow
TCU/DSG Tune
Mode Wheel Spacers
Mode Paddle Shifters
H&R Sway Bar Front/Rear

Interesting, first time I hear of "MODE" (https://modeautoconcepts.com/ - based on Australia)

How many miles does the car have? How many miles on that tune? Doesn't seem like the intercooler was upgraded.... if you are in a hotter area, I would...

I would definitely check for coolant leaks and if MT, would do a 4th gear slip test.

Otherwise typical inspection.. like making sure the hood latch is sound for starters.

Basically what Golfs everday said, and if its a DSG, check if its gotten the transmission flush done at 40k mi... (65k km?)

Also the haldex (that engages the RWD) needs to be flushed at 30k miles (50k km?)

Also check the oil intervals, this car has a 10k mile interval, but no one here does that, especially tuned..... make sure its been taken care of more regularly.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I would try to get a PPI and ask for receipts on the mods/service history. I'd at least want a better than VW-recommended interval on fluids given the mods. Ideally cut in half. On a tuned car I'd ask to see some logs as well, and definitely pull codes after a test drive (don't let the seller get a chance to clear them).

Penta23

Car(s)
Golf R

Aftermarket list:
Mode Downpipe
Mode Intake Duct
Mode Intake kit
Mode Intake Elbow
TCU/DSG Tune
Mode Wheel Spacers
Mode Paddle Shifters

I'm looking to do the opposite in the near future lol.
Well, GTI to F80. But an R is also in the equation.
Why'd you get rid of it?

H&R Sway Bar Front/Rear
curious what drove you to sell the M3?

I don't think I want to trade my R for one, but my wife and I want to get something in the M3 / RS5 Sportback (no RS4 here), or even the M340i or S4/5 Sportback range. Maybe more so the latter for her commutes and road trips. The catch is my wife really would prefer an EV, so there is only one option that fits the range we need to visit her family.
Second-hand market over here in Aust is going crazy, so took the opportunity to sell it for a good price. I was planning to sell it next year anyway. I do miss it though!! Had a GTI about 5 yrs ago and always enjoyed driving it, hence the return.

Attachments

• M3.jpg
    M3.jpg
    983.4 KB · Views: 105

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Second-hand market over here in Aust is going crazy, so took the opportunity to sell it for a good price. I was planning to sell it next year anyway. I do miss it though!! Had a GTI about 5 yrs ago and always enjoyed driving it, hence the return.
That makes sense. We have the same problem here. Even the R's are holding their value quite well because of the same issue.

We decided to move up, it's a 1-2 yr old idea when stimulus stops, and people are left wondering what happened

Rtarded

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 APR S2 DSG R
I would reasonably expect someone who modded a golf that hard to have kept up with the maintenance. I dont think alot of stage 2 guys ignore service intervals but I've been wrong before. The trade off would be that its been beat on, and in my experience these cars are small tanks, they just absorb and keep on moving. I've been beating the crap out of mine at Stage 2 power for 16k miles and shes happy and healthy. not even a rattle as the odo rolls near 50k.
If this was an old G37 with a laundry list of mods Id say run for the hills.
I would test drive it at the very least. The trade off between the M3 and the golf will be interesting. At stage 2 power the golf will feel faster everywhere under 100mph, the M3 will feel faster over 100mph.

Penta23

Car(s)
Golf R
Settled on a 2018 MK7.5 Golf R, untouched mods-wise. Driving these cars in normal mode is ridiculous, it changes gears way too quickly. Race mode seems to be the only way to drive them. Does Stage 1 tune change them much? I know with the M3, a stage 1 BM3 tune made it into a completely different car.