GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

People recommended to put premium gas only for 2017 vw golf 1.8T BUT WHY?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hmm I guess you're right turbo charged engines do have a lower compression ratio, as it seems they have to be toned back to make up for the extra boost provided by the turbo. I wonder why I always thought they were high? Maybe cause Compression+boost is higher than a similar displacement NA engine?
A NA engine doesn't have any boost so they can use higher compression ratios. Especially since most engines today are GDI. Gas Direct Injection.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Turbo engines are lower compression. The OP won't get any more power from premium fuel than regular unless his engine is tuned and requires higher octane. Otherwise it's a complete waste of money.
Yeah im stock no tuner nothing added if i wanted a default fast car i would buy Golf R i dont temper with engine related tuners i bought car for daily use to use from point A to B and nice decent fast quick car for what its worth specs wise.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I m

Agreed thanks for your opinion I mean one day when i have a decent high paying job then i can afford higher grades as everything comes with money if u barely got any or shit garbage job no point in wasting extra money on such things.
What he said above is the accurate reason and simplest description. Regular works fine in your car. Premium may give you a little HP boost because the computer will not Retard your ignition timing from any knocking (even knocking you cannot hear). Now in my "R" it does make a big difference, but for your Golf, Regular is fine and save yourself the money. You won't really notice any difference. Sure some of the premium fuels have more detergents, but as long as you use a quality brand of regular you are fine.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you car says it can take at min. 87 it can safely take at min. 87. Simple. It’s a min so yes, you can run 93 or what have you but keep in mind that unless you are seeing timing correction on 87, running 93 will not do a thing for you. A small turbo 4 will likely see some bump in power on the top end/WOT running premium over regular and many owner’s manuals will state as much in their power figure table/listing - “*achieved with premium fuel”. Premium fuel isn’t giving you a better fuel, a cleaner burning fuel, or a more detergent-rich fuel (most of the time/depends on brand/Top Tier takes care of this). Running premium doesn't prevent carbon buildup on your intake valves in a DI engine. Octane rating is simply the ability of the fuel to resist detonation or “knock”. Placebo is a powerful drug....

Last edited: