GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed wheel durability

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
How durable are Neuspeed flow formed wheels, notably the RSE10?

Time to downsize the wheels on my Golf R from 19" to 18". Roads in my city are terrible, so wheel strength is important. Really like Neuspeed RSE10s in 18x8 to keep the OEM wheel/tire footprint. I'm aware that flow formed Pretorias bend like they're made of pot metal, so wondering if Neuspeed wheels have the same issue.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I live in Philly and haven’t had any issues in the 5 months I’ve had my 18x8.5 RSE10’s wrapped in 235/40 AS4’s, besides the occasional rock chip. I was hoping ceramic could help with that but doesn’t appear to.

I don’t have a lot of experience with aftermarket wheels so I don’t know enough to say whether it seems like the paint is soft, but my estimation is the paint is soft. But no issues thus far in Philly, and if that changes I have a wheel/tire insurance package

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I've used a set of 17" RSE05 over 3 winters and haven't had any issues..........yet.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
No issues here but I’ve only had them a few months. I try not to hit crazy shit at higher speeds. Even a bbs forged lip would bend if u hit a chunk of concrete at 55mph

no offense @TheProfessional

Just an example. Ultimately, daily driving and no purposely hitting pot holes and shit. Every wheel will be fine. Neuspeeds aren’t going to spontaneously bend for no reason. No wheel would.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Its a flow formed wheel. Its one of those things where you pick three of the criteria's and can get only two. I've seen numerous Konig flow formed wheels bend too. Flow formed wheels are that middle ground where you can get a fairly light...sorta strong wheel without paying forged wheel prices.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
No issues here but I’ve only had them a few months. I try not to hit crazy shit at higher speeds. Even a bbs forged lip would bend if u hit a chunk of concrete at 55mph

no offense @TheProfessional

Just an example. Ultimately, daily driving and no purposely hitting pot holes and shit. Every wheel will be fine. Neuspeeds aren’t going to spontaneously bend for no reason. No wheel would.

No offense taken. It was 4am, dark as shit and was in right in the path of the passenger side of the road lane (it was about a 6"x6" block). I assume it fell out of a truck or something. Ironic part is the front wheel nailed it and was fine, the rear just clipped it enough to bend the lip. It was about a 1/4" bend. I bought a replacement and kept that one as an emergency use full size spare.

That was the worst result in 3 years and 55,000 miles of use, so I can't complain. Also about the comment someone made on the paint being soft, I haven't seen any issues with the paint on either set. The wear of the coating was what I would expect for the amount of use the wheels had, overall they held up very well.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
No offense taken. It was 4am, dark as shit and was in right in the path of the passenger side of the road lane (it was about a 6"x6" block). I assume it fell out of a truck or something. Ironic part is the front wheel nailed it and was fine, the rear just clipped it enough to bend the lip. It was about a 1/4" bend. I bought a replacement and kept that one as an emergency use full size spare.

That was the worst result in 3 years and 55,000 miles of use, so I can't complain. Also about the comment someone made on the paint being soft, I haven't seen any issues with the paint on either set. The wear of the coating was what I would expect for the amount of use the wheels had, overall they held up very well.
Oh wow. Yup, that darkness will get ya. I’m glad it was only a wheel. Sounds like it could’ve been worse

wife and I are in negotiations. Planning on modding her GLI and getting her some neuspeeds too

how have you found the paint and finish so far? I went for the matte bronze. Paint feels softer than I’d like

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Oh wow. Yup, that darkness will get ya. I’m glad it was only a wheel. Sounds like it could’ve been worse

wife and I are in negotiations. Planning on modding her GLI and getting her some neuspeeds too

how have you found the paint and finish so far? I went for the matte bronze. Paint feels softer than I’d like

I thought for certain the tire would be blown. I pulled right over to inspect and everything looked good enough to continue driving. The suspension must have been able to eat up the impact.

As for the coating, the RSe05s looked pretty good at 55,000 miles of use. One wheel had a slight nick and there were some very minor pock marks. Overall, from 5 feet, they looked new. I had changed tires on them a few times as well and no issues to coating from mounting, balancing, and installing wheels on the car.

The RSe16s still look new at 19,000 miles of use. No coating issues at all.

I do have a set of Apex wheels coming for the 2021 GTI I just bought, so we'll see how those do. They will see extensive daily use. I bought the car 4 months ago and already have 8,000 miles on it (YIKES!!!).

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I thought for certain the tire would be blown. I pulled right over to inspect and everything looked good enough to continue driving. The suspension must have been able to eat up the impact.

As for the coating, the RSe05s looked pretty good at 55,000 miles of use. One wheel had a slight nick and there were some very minor pock marks. Overall, from 5 feet, they looked new. I had changed tires on them a few times as well and no issues to coating from mounting, balancing, and installing wheels on the car.

The RSe16s still look new at 19,000 miles of use. No coating issues at all.

I do have a set of Apex wheels coming for the 2021 GTI I just bought, so we'll see how those do. They will see extensive daily use. I bought the car 4 months ago and already have 8,000 miles on it (YIKES!!!).
I figured mech impact from rocks and stuff will be inevitable.

wow. That’s some serious mileage. @jimlloyd40 has competition

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Go matte black - like an outlaw.