GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding Lumbar Support

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
The manual cloth seats in my GTI have, in my opinion, been lacking in lumbar support. The maximum setting just got them to the minimum acceptable level for me. So, based on some MK5 or MK6 threads, I added some foam between the lumbar mechanism and the seat foam.

I used part of this set of interlocking foam mats from Harbor Freight. As I recall, the set was about $8.
20210731_165515~01.jpg

I cut a rectangle of foam 10"x6". That's just slightly smaller than the lumbar mechanism, so it allows for a little adjustment. The foam is about 1/2" thick.
20210731_164940~01.jpg

20210731_164937~01.jpg

I raised the seat to its maximum height and tilted the backrest as far forward as it would go. Then I used plastic trim tools to undo the seat cover. It uses a plastic C-channel on one side of a seam, and a plastic piece on the other side that folds back on itself as it locks into the C-channel. It's a bit hard to describe but reasonably simple when you have the parts in hand. There are seams at the bottom of the backrest and on either side of the pocket on the rear of the seat.
20210731_164839~01.jpg

Under the cover, there's a thin foam/plastic layer held in with two plastic push fasteners. I managed to break the heads off both, but I don't think they're critical.
20210731_164852~01.jpg

Then under the foam cover is the plastic frame of the lumbar mechanism.
20210731_164928~01.jpg

The new foam slides in between the plastic frame and the seat foam pad.
20210731_164903~01.jpg

Then I just buttoned everything back up. You wouldn't think 1/2" of foam would make much difference, but it's very noticeable on a quick test. Now the minimum setting is about the same as the old maximum setting, and max is at the top end of how much support I'd likely want. Much improved for $8 and a half hour of work!

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Thanks for this! Because the clips were so tight, I thought it wasn’t possible to open the back like this and stopped trying. Now I know I just needed to pull harder. Got my lumbar sorted out too :)

It looks like there’s a wire that operates it and my guess is that wire gets stretched out over time. There’s probably a way to tighten it, but your method is much easier.

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You can tell the demographic of the forum by the amount of thumbs up this thread has received.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
View attachment 221350

Then I just buttoned everything back up. You wouldn't think 1/2" of foam would make much difference, but it's very noticeable on a quick test. Now the minimum setting is about the same as the old maximum setting, and max is at the top end of how much support I'd likely want. Much improved for $8 and a half hour of work!
Minimum is the old maximum! Added a 15mm foam to my seat and really love it. Thx for the idea