GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are my tuning options for IS38 on a 1.8?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
This question has probably been asked before but I wanted to see if there were any recent developments for tunes.

I have a 2019 GSW AWD and I've finally finished all the supporting mods for more power (suspension, brakes, clutch). I have a stock Golf R downpipe and am looking to make ~300 whp on 91 oct (I don't want to deal with ethanol).

It looks like Cobb will never support the 1.8 and the APR tunes all are for an aftermarket downpipe, and I'm not really interested in a canned tune.

Does EcuTek support the 1.8 now? I would ideally like to use @Ed @ EQT for a custom tune but am not sure if my car would be supported. I could even go to him in person if needed since I'm local. I found an another thread on EcuTek for the 1.8 but it was inconclusive as to whether or not it would work with my car.

I also have a JB4 but am not sure if I can get a relatively safe tune from that for the IS38.

Thanks for any help!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
APR’s tunes are not “all for downpipes.”

All “Stage 3” IS20/38 tunes are designed specifically with stock downpipes in mind. So you can run that stock golf r DP with an IS20 or 38 and maybe run a 91 octane high torque tune. That’ll get you to 280/290 WHP on an IS20, 320-330 on an IS38.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
May I introduce you to our lord and savior Open Source Tuning? https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/open-source-tuning-solution.380998/ Depending on how comfortable you are with messing with this stuff.

This tuning stuff is all a black box to me so I'm not sure I want to mess with the open source stuff. I'll have to look into it more, though.

Open Source
EcuTek via EQT ($$$) or 5150
UM (will likely recommend MPI/LPFP)
Reflect Tuning (supports 2.0 HPFP)
OTS (APR, Unitronic, IE)
Eurodyne Maestro (very limited)

Thanks! I'll check out UM and Reflect as well. EQT does get very expensive all in (something like $1500 for a custom tune?).

APR’s tunes are not “all for downpipes.”

All “Stage 3” IS20/38 tunes are designed specifically with stock downpipes in mind. So you can run that stock golf r DP with an IS20 or 38 and maybe run a 91 octane high torque tune. That’ll get you to 280/290 WHP on an IS20, 320-330 on an IS38.

APR's site says it requires an exhaust:

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 6.24.23 PM.png

I don't know if the "factory" wording also applies to stock factory downpipe.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

View attachment 222391

By having the R downpipe, it will work fine with the APR tune. If all you are looking for is something to work with the R downpipe and 91, that would be your best bet. Anyone else is going to recommend an aftermarket downpipe most likely for is38. The R downpipe does flow better than the gti or A3 ones though. Remember Armchair Racere aka Jack Jones used an R downpipe on the apr 100 octane is20 tune and has the fastest is20 car with that set up. So I believe that downpipe will do fine on other tunes as well, it just depends if the tuner is ok with it. If so, any of them are good. UM, Reflect, Uni. I have Reflect and I’m happy. UM will not want you to go mpi on is38 and 91 like stated above

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you want the custom route, I'd do Reflect personally based on @TwinDad's experience/recommendation. Folks have talked about the EcuTek with EQT- I would just call/email EQT...they will need your ECU info to see if they support it. I've been curious if someone would do it/how it would turn out. I have to believe APR can do a stock R DP/IS38 tune - it's the same as a Stage 1 tune on a Golf R really when you think about it, just give them a yell/ask Arin. You can do the JB4 with an IS38 I believe as well, just hit up George at BMS about it but I believe there is a post/FB post saying he can do it. TBH, the OTS maps are very proven/safe tunes at this point and provide lots of power and are for the most part set/forget. I've been able to make 300+ to the wheels on Unitronic with a best 3.9 0-60 and a 12.1/113.4 1/4 mile which looks to be about 330 wheel on that particular run; should be about 300 wheel most of the time but of course varies on temp, altitude, and fuel (93 or E20-). I run a bit of E to get an E20ish blend and the tune eats it up. I don't think Uni is the best choice here for 91 only but again, you can always hit them up to discuss or if they can make you a 91 file. IE doesn't have a 38 tune out yet. United is another great choice and at least leaves you the option later to add MPI later on. Keep in mind while you have listed supporting mods such as brakes/suspension (and that clutch!!!), really you need to think about an aftermarket IC as well if you are doing the IS38 to maximize your experience. Good luck!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

View attachment 222391

Youre right. They sell an IS20 Stage 3 for stock DP but nothing for IS38 stock DP. I incorrectly assumed/inferred that, since they do an IS20 stock DP tune, they would also do an IS38 stock Dp tune.

my bad.
APR has a non test pipe tune for is38 I.e. For oem downpipe. I know because I ran it. But I did have an aftermarket downpipe with it. I just ran the non test pipe tune so readiness scan for inspection wouldn't be a problem.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
By having the R downpipe, it will work fine with the APR tune. If all you are looking for is something to work with the R downpipe and 91, that would be your best bet. Anyone else is going to recommend an aftermarket downpipe most likely for is38. The R downpipe does flow better than the gti or A3 ones though. Remember Armchair Racere aka Jack Jones used an R downpipe on the apr 100 octane is20 tune and has the fastest is20 car with that set up. So I believe that downpipe will do fine on other tunes as well, it just depends if the tuner is ok with it. If so, any of them are good. UM, Reflect, Uni. I have Reflect and I’m happy. UM will not want you to go mpi on is38 and 91 like stated above

Good to know, thanks! Just to clarify, UM would want or would not want an MPI?

If you want the custom route, I'd do Reflect personally based on @TwinDad's experience/recommendation. Folks have talked about the EcuTek with EQT- I would just call/email EQT...they will need your ECU info to see if they support it. I've been curious if someone would do it/how it would turn out. I have to believe APR can do a stock R DP/IS38 tune - it's the same as a Stage 1 tune on a Golf R really when you think about it, just give them a yell/ask Arin. You can do the JB4 with an IS38 I believe as well, just hit up George at BMS about it but I believe there is a post/FB post saying he can do it. TBH, the OTS maps are very proven/safe tunes at this point and provide lots of power and are for the most part set/forget. I've been able to make 300+ to the wheels on Unitronic with a best 3.9 0-60 and a 12.1/113.4 1/4 mile which looks to be about 330 wheel on that particular run; should be about 300 wheel most of the time but of course varies on temp, altitude, and fuel (93 or E20-). I run a bit of E to get an E20ish blend and the tune eats it up. I don't think Uni is the best choice here for 91 only but again, you can always hit them up to discuss or if they can make you a 91 file. IE doesn't have a 38 tune out yet. United is another great choice and at least leaves you the option later to add MPI later on. Keep in mind while you have listed supporting mods such as brakes/suspension (and that clutch!!!), really you need to think about an aftermarket IC as well if you are doing the IS38 to maximize your experience. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info! I agree that the best bet is to probably contact the individual tuners to see what they would recommend with my setup.

While I agree an IC and maybe MPI would be very beneficial, California is a turd state and my ultimate goal is to keep everything visually stock. An IS38 should be indistinguishable from an IS12/20 from the outside, and I'm hoping an OEM R pipe would pass visual (or go unnoticed...). MPI and IC would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm hoping I wouldn't need either for the relatively modest power levels I want.

APR has a non test pipe tune for is38 I.e. For oem downpipe. I know because I ran it. But I did have an aftermarket downpipe with it. I just ran the non test pipe tune so readiness scan for inspection wouldn't be a problem.

Where would I find the OEM downpipe tune? I don't see any mention of it on their site. I was also under the impression that a test pipe tune = catless exhaust tune, so "non test pipe" could mean any downpipe (including aftermarket) that has a cat.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Good to know, thanks! Just to clarify, UM would want or would not want an MPI?

Thanks for all the info! I agree that the best bet is to probably contact the individual tuners to see what they would recommend with my setup.

While I agree an IC and maybe MPI would be very beneficial, California is a turd state and my ultimate goal is to keep everything visually stock. An IS38 should be indistinguishable from an IS12/20 from the outside, and I'm hoping an OEM R pipe would pass visual (or go unnoticed...). MPI and IC would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm hoping I wouldn't need either for the relatively modest power levels I want.

Where would I find the OEM downpipe tune? I don't see any mention of it on their site. I was also under the impression that a test pipe tune = catless exhaust tune, so "non test pipe" could mean any downpipe (including aftermarket) that has a cat.
If you get a stock location IC the state wouldn't recognize it or know that you did.