GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going mad with high pitched whistle!

Sforza209

I'd say this with a grain of salt, I had this whistle appear months after I bought the car and had removed and re-installed the intake a few times for other projects. I replaced DV with TurboSmart PB with no change.

It won't happen at idle revving it because it's caused by boost. When you are driving it should show up right around when you go from vacuum to boost building.
Hey, did you figure out what the problem was? I also cannot replicate the sound when the car is parked and I rev the engine. It happens only when I drive and any boost is built up.
Here is another video of the whistle sound. It seems to be getting louder!
https://youtube.com/shorts/zo_ajnBtDpg?feature=share

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
A torn PCV diaphragm can also cause whistling/howling under boost.

I will say I have the Rev C DV and it whistled until I got a GFB DV+

I haven't had any whistling since.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
OP stated he was running GFB and it still whined.

Yeah I was just talking about my experience. The reason I mentioned the PCV being a suspect iis because he said hes addressed the DV.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hey, did you figure out what the problem was? I also cannot replicate the sound when the car is parked and I rev the engine. It happens only when I drive and any boost is built up.
Here is another video of the whistle sound. It seems to be getting louder!
https://youtube.com/shorts/zo_ajnBtDpg?feature=share

Yeah, it's a boost noise. ;)😁

I have not found the actual cause, as everyone else says common diag is DV whistle from harmonics with an intake and mine did show up after I had removed the intake several times. I figure I need to try to play with the intake mounting, it does not mate up perfectly to the grille but it was like that when I bought it. I'm planning on wrapping it with reflective tape eventually so haven't really done much with it since spending $200 on the TurboSmart and having no change. Replacing the DV wasn't a bad thing to have done especially with the boost I run, but it didn't solve anything.

For now my solution is to turn the radio up. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah I was just talking about my experience. The reason I mentioned the PCV being a suspect iis because he said hes addressed the DV.

Could be unless he's running a catch can like I am.

Last edited:

Sforza209

No catch can, tried the CTS Turbo catch can kit and it literally blew out my rear main seal right when I installed the catch can. I have no idea if I installed it incorrectly or what! But I removed that so quick! Plus you can run a catch can and a dv relocation kit at the same time without doing a little fabrication work.
But I finally figured out what the fuck that noise was! It was the front mount intercooler hose on the drivers side. The hose clamp loosened itself just enough to let air escape making that whistling sound. I am so glad and relieved that it’s finally figured out! And that it wasn’t anything related to the operation of the turbo. Thanks for all the feedback!

flight1us

Ready to race!
Could this cause P0299 for underboost ?

Sforza209

Could this cause P0299 for underboost ?
I had that same CEL. It was the low pressure fuel pump controller that was failing on me. Come to find out my car had a shitty Chinese knock off part. I went and purchased an OEM VW pump controller and upgraded the lpfp to an AEM 340LPH in tank pump. Since I did all that my car has been running like a bat out of hell! Breaks traction on each gear change til 4th gear. Does your car also flash an EPC light on the speedo? Also, is your car K04 swapped?

Sforza209