GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI PP ECU Bricked?

shazz332

Car(s)
MK7 GTI PP
I woke up to my new tune arriving from a well known brand, excited to install I jumped out of bed and grabbed my accessport, hooked my 16amp charger up to my GTI, turned off all my lights, head unit, BT and began to upload my tune
I was on my phone and looked back down and saw that my Accessport was telling my to check my connection and that it lost connection to my ECU. I checked my connections and they were fine, and I was hit with recovery mode.
I selected recovery mode and it always gets to 38% and tells me to check my connection.

Is my ECU shot? I will be giving COBB a call when they're open.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
very unlikely, especially if the AP was already installed and you were just flashing an updated tune.

Is the battery old? Check all the basics like cable/connections etc, and hit up cobb when they open.

shazz332

Car(s)
MK7 GTI PP
very unlikely, especially if the AP was already installed and you were just flashing an updated tune.

Is the battery old? Check all the basics like cable/connections etc, and hit up cobb when they open.
The battery is less than 3 months old. I drive the car every day, I also had the battery charger on aswell. I've flashed my car countless of times with no issues. My AP was already on the car and I was just changing the ECU tune to a different one. I have checked all the connections I can think of. My car doesn't turn, all of my electronics work. I'm confused as when I try to use recovery it always fails at the exact same percentage. I will definingly be calling them when they're open. Hope it's not to big of a deal and I can sort it out over the phone other wise I'm in for some headache as I live in Australia and I'm guessing I'd have to send my ECU to Texas if there's a significant problem.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The battery is less than 3 months old. I drive the car every day, I also had the battery charger on aswell. I've flashed my car countless of times with no issues. My AP was already on the car and I was just changing the ECU tune to a different one. I have checked all the connections I can think of. My car doesn't turn, all of my electronics work. I'm confused as when I try to use recovery it always fails at the exact same percentage. I will definingly be calling them when they're open. Hope it's not to big of a deal and I can sort it out over the phone other wise I'm in for some headache as I live in Australia and I'm guessing I'd have to send my ECU to Texas if there's a significant problem.
Wow I certainly hope it's a simple solution. Sounds like you did everything correctly.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Have you updated the firmware on the ap? When I pulled some logs off a couple weeks ago a firmware update was recommended, so I did it. Have no idea if it will help, but worth a shot. Hope all goes well.

shazz332

Car(s)
MK7 GTI PP
Have you updated the firmware on the ap? When I pulled some logs off a couple weeks ago a firmware update was recommended, so I did it. Have no idea if it will help, but worth a shot. Hope all goes well.
Hey, yeah that was the first thing I did but to no success. Thank you though.

shazz332

Car(s)
MK7 GTI PP
After contacting COBB, they were able to send me a new license key for my Accessport and I was successfully able to flash my old tune and get the car to work. Everytime I try to flash the new tune that I purchased it fails
at the same percentage and I need to contact COBB and get them to send me a new license key. Although, that doesn't really bother me as I'm happy to have a working car. Still a bit annoyed though, after spending money
on a tune and waiting for it and it doesn't even work.

Thanks everyone for your input.

mongorie

This happened to me yesterday when I tried to flash my v3 Eqt tune. Got my ap reset, flash Cobb ots no problem,but when I tried v3 Eqt same thing. Looks like I need to reset my ap and go v2 for now.

mongorie

After contacting COBB, they were able to send me a new license key for my Accessport and I was successfully able to flash my old tune and get the car to work. Everytime I try to flash the new tune that I purchased it fails
at the same percentage and I need to contact COBB and get them to send me a new license key. Although, that doesn't really bother me as I'm happy to have a working car. Still a bit annoyed though, after spending money
on a tune and waiting for it and it doesn't even work.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Shazz, what revision where you on when this happened? I was on rev3. I was totally in panic mode , thinking about how much a ECU would cost and time to pair it up with my car.Luckily Cobb can send a reset key so I can start over, not going to try the v3 file a third time lol.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I woke up to my new tune arriving from a well known brand, excited to install I jumped out of bed and grabbed my accessport, hooked my 16amp charger up to my GTI, turned off all my lights, head unit, BT and began to upload my tune
I was on my phone and looked back down and saw that my Accessport was telling my to check my connection and that it lost connection to my ECU. I checked my connections and they were fine, and I was hit with recovery mode.
I selected recovery mode and it always gets to 38% and tells me to check my connection.

Is my ECU shot? I will be giving COBB a call when they're open.
You're fine. Email Cobb. They will send you a file to run which will let your AP do the flash from the beginning again.

I think your car may even start still. You just won't be able to flash.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Strange issue, did the Cobb support guys/gals give any indication what's causing this?

mongorie

Nope, it was just a revision to my v2 tune, more boost and timings. Maybe they went over the limits) parameters. Is your car also world market like mine?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Mine is not, but OP's profile says Australia..... seems like this may very well be a WM specific issue then?