GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best All season tires?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Trying to find the best all season tires that perform well in the snow. I live in the north east so during the summer I like to have some fun and push the car a bit and during the winter we get a decent amount of snow and slush and ice. I've heard Continental DWS Are good along with Michillan Pilot sport 4s all seasons are good but I'm looking to see what people have tried.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Man, if you're actually going to drive in the snow, just get snow tires on some cheap beater wheels. AS4 work, sort of. They don't get gamey in cold temps like summer tires, but they're still a huge compromise in anything more than a dusting. We got hammered with snow in Feb and I took my car out, and I could get around, but I certainly wasn't able to go normal speeds or have much comfort with things. The wife's Q5 with proper tires was so much easier to drive.

Kimi17147

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
I am a big fan of the DWS.

I had the older Michelin A/S 3+ and while the dry traction was really good, they got really loud after 15k even though there was a ton of tread left.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Man, if you're actually going to drive in the snow, just get snow tires on some cheap beater wheels. AS4 work, sort of. They don't get gamey in cold temps like summer tires, but they're still a huge compromise in anything more than a dusting. We got hammered with snow in Feb and I took my car out, and I could get around, but I certainly wasn't able to go normal speeds or have much comfort with things. The wife's Q5 with proper tires was so much easier to drive.
Sadly I live in a 1 bed apartment and have nowhere to store tires so I have to do only 1 set of rims

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Just an idea 💡
A4CC50F9-2593-4554-9AE5-B05742A30A88.jpeg

Over here in Germany I have the Michelin CrossClimate 2 on 2 vehicles. Wouldn’t use them for skiing trips to the alps but so far they are doing great.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Just an idea 💡
View attachment 226034
Over here in Germany I have the Michelin CrossClimate 2 on 2 vehicles. Wouldn’t use them for skiing trips to the alps but so far they are doing great.
OH man. This is what I'm talking about. That thing has some serious stance. Must be on air or something. What's it do, 9sec 1/4 mile?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Bridgestone RE980
They also list RE980AS+ now with snow symbol.

Bridgestone Turanza Quiet Track. AS.
Second this, go for something with the snow symbol, I've had AS3, AS3+ and AS4 and each one is better than the last at snow, but they're still only passable for quickly removing myself from those conditions, not something I'd ever consider for daily commuting in white stuff.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sadly I live in a 1 bed apartment and have nowhere to store tires so I have to do only 1 set of rims
Buy wall mount tire rack from Tirerack and bolt to the wall.
You can keep them well off the floor.
Doable but land lord might not like the big bolt holes.
But what a cool apartment.

Add Swisstrax floor and turn it into a Garage Apt.

RXXXII

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI Autobahn
Michelin CrossClimate 2 (not the CrossClimate or CrossClimate+). This is what I use for my GTI for winter tires on 17" wheels.

However, if difficult winter weather, I will use another vehicle with AWD and dedicated winter tires.