GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I Need a battery charger for COBB Tune?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
LOL oh. Yeah itl be in a parking lot.
Her car should be running. The initial flash takes time and puts a pretty good draw on the battery. Even flashing a tune without a charger or your girls car can be risky. The Access Port usually won't allow you to flash if it doesn't detect enough juice.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I did it without plugging into a charger or trickle, but I had a relatively new oversized battery, only about 2 months old. The flash takes about 20 minutes, in hindsight I wouldn't do it that way again.

Last edited:

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Her car should be running. The initial flash takes time and puts a pretty good draw on the battery. Even flashing a tune without a charger or your girls car can be risky. The Access Port usually won't allow you to flash if it doesn't detect enough juice.
So what is the least riskiest way of doing it? Because as you said even using another car/battery is risky. What size battery maintainer/tender'er would I need for it to be safe to do?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So what is the least riskiest way of doing it? Because as you said even using another car/battery is risky. What size battery maintainer/tender'er would I need for it to be safe to do?
You can use her car with it running. Cobb recommends a 10-20 amp charger that won't automatically revert to trickle charge.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
After having several failed flashes I kinda got over the fear. And my battery is pretty new. I don't flash with a charger hooked up unless the car has been sitting all weekend or something.

But yes, it's not a bad idea either. Initial ECU flash takes like 30 minutes. Other ones and uninstall flash is MUCH faster, i would only really worry about the initial ECU flash

Side note, it's very hard to brick these ECUs, so don't stress it too much.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
After having several failed flashes I kinda got over the fear. And my battery is pretty new. I don't flash with a charger hooked up unless the car has been sitting all weekend or something.

But yes, it's not a bad idea either. Initial ECU flash takes like 30 minutes. Other ones and uninstall flash is MUCH faster, i would only really worry about the initial ECU flash

Side note, it's very hard to brick these ECUs, so don't stress it too much.
Yeah I'm going to flash it with the Cobb stage 2 tune for now while I wait for eqt to send me the stage 2 tune from them

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Buy a cheap 3 amp charger for peace of mind. When I decided to load my tune I bought a $50 one from O'Reillys and plugged it to my battery to find out the car battery was at 70% charge... on a 3 month old car out of the dealership. I waited for the car to be fully charged and then did the tune while the charger was still attached to the car.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...p-6-12-volt-battery-charger/shu0/sp1297?pos=7