GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just got the car back. Another potential issue or ignore?

Maybematt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE (auto)
So I just got the car back getting the thermostat replaced & a carbon cleaning. Although I don't have a CEL, I did notice this in my OBD11. I've read it's the pump that cools the turbo down after you turn the car off like a turbo timer. Since I don't have a CEL, is this like a pseudo code or something I should save up to fix as well....
78495CB6-276F-4A02-BE1B-4732727B1C62.png

Maybematt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE (auto)
Clear the code. If it comes back, it's a real code and there's an issue somewhere with the system.
I cleared the code Sunday, and I did get the same code yesterday. No CEL, but the intermittent code in OBD11. Sigh, hope it's not a pricey repair. I've only owned the GTI for a couple months, but it's had more issues than my past 4 cars & 4 motorcycles combined. unlucky

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I cleared the code Sunday, and I did get the same code yesterday. No CEL, but the intermittent code in OBD11. Sigh, hope it's not a pricey repair. I've only owned the GTI for a couple months, but it's had more issues than my past 4 cars & 4 motorcycles combined. unlucky
I wouldn't be very concerned if you're not getting a CEL. Did you constantly scan your other vehicles?

Maybematt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE (auto)
I wouldn't be very concerned if you're not getting a CEL. Did you constantly scan your other vehicles?
I hope so! Especially since I use the bike 80% of the time, it would blow having to spend so much on a vehicle I rarely use.
Hm kind of. But you're right, that's not necessarily a fair assessment. Just a bit bitter as this is by far the most expensive used car I've bought by 50%. And most likely after my thermo & carbon fix, there most likely won't be an issue for awhile (fingers crossed and knock on wood).

Car #1: I was a kid, didn't know anything. Didn't have any tools.
Car #2 & 4: My Miata babies. Semi-frequent scans and checks
Car #3: Was brand new Mazda3 hatch, and only put on 10k miles before it got totaled.
Bikes #1-4: never really got CELs, and always felt great.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I hope so! Especially since I use the bike 80% of the time, it would blow having to spend so much on a vehicle I rarely use.
Hm kind of. But you're right, that's not necessarily a fair assessment. Just a bit bitter as this is by far the most expensive used car I've bought by 50%. And most likely after my thermo & carbon fix, there most likely won't be an issue for awhile (fingers crossed and knock on wood).

Car #1: I was a kid, didn't know anything. Didn't have any tools.
Car #2 & 4: My Miata babies. Semi-frequent scans and checks
Car #3: Was brand new Mazda3 hatch, and only put on 10k miles before it got totaled.
Bikes #1-4: never really got CELs, and always felt great.

I don't care about the argument that you get a better deal buying used due to the depreciation of a new car as soon as it leaves the lot. This isn't wrong. Yet, there is no greater satisfaction than buying a new car and knowing, all if it's history is being written by YOU. Consider the extra cost of buying new as a somewhat peace of mind knowing you aren't going to be finding hidden surprises or issues that can start small and snowball into something greater.

I bought a base 2014 mk6 GTI because it was all I could afford, but it was NEW. The feeling of it being just mines and never been abused prior to me was a great satisfaction. Anything that happened to it outside of standard VW issues was caused by me and I couldn't blame anyone else.

Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to get this out there, lol. I got this 2017 SE used obviously but was fairly confident with it's 24k miles it had when I got it and what appeared to look like, stock (it had zero mods) gave me the thought that it was an end of lease driven by someone who didn't care about the after market community and was ready to move on in life. I'd like to think I got a good deal but there is always the unexpected in the back of my mind.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Buying a used car dodges the depreciation but buys the out of warranty maintenance instead.

You could easily end up worse off if the maintenance is expensive and you're unlucky.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Buying a used car dodges the depreciation but buys the out of warranty maintenance instead.

You could easily end up worse off if the maintenance is expensive and you're unlucky.
Guys I used to work with would always tell me how dumb it was to buy a new car, but then tell me about how their wives would ignore CELs, strange noises, bad vibrations, and non functioning electronics until they asked about them. One friend of mine went 25k miles without an oil change; nothing came out of the pan when we tried to drain it. They are the reason I don't buy used cars.

Maybematt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE (auto)
Totally agree with what everyone is stating. The reason why I bought this 2016 GTI was the previous owner seemed genuinely kind, was very responsive, had most of his maintenance records (which were on time except one oil change went a slight bit longer), he had tranny replaced due to warranty at like 30k (figured I had a new tranny so potentially less issues), I got him to do another DSG flush when I bought the car, and he seemed like he was a conservative driver so the engine take too much of a beating. Only potential issue was he had a small fender bender that he fixed, not enough to total the car though.

That's the reason I bought my Mazda 3 2018 new. I can be very meticulous with my driving habits where it's excessive. I drive my car/bike at least twice a month, and run it good. I give it adequate time to warm up, then start picking up the RPMs to ensure that 1) The battery is adequately charge, 2) Semi-Italian job to clean carbon & burn off condensation, and 3) driving it at least twice a month to keep the internals nice and lubed. And in the case I need to do short drives to the store or other errands, I throw in a long drive in shorter intervals. Oil changes usually a bit sooner than recommended, and keep the other maintenance in check as well.
---------
Oddspyke, I have a friend who had a similar issue, but she's the one who doesn't check her vehicles until something happens. We drained her CBR300R engine oil, it looked like two shot cups of oil came out. Not sure if that engine/bike burned a bunch of oil, or if the honda fart-can exhaust made the AFR too lean and caused some issues internally. Regardless, I was amazed the bike didnt seize as it's always banging around 9-10k RPM.