GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PDC Retrofit Question

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
good night, since i retrofitted from park assist 2.0 to 3.0 on my 2015 golf gti, i am getting a message on the dashboard screen: "maneuvering brake not available". I'm with Park assist 3.0 module, 5QA919298F

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I guess it's worth coming back to this thread. I had my first emergency braking "event" a couple days ago. Waiting for the gate out of my complex to open and I started to drive forward sooner than the car approved of. So this was emergency breaking going less than 5 mph, beginning to accelerate from a stop.

I had turned off the park pilot after pulling up to the gate just so it would stop beeping at me. And I got the big red symbol in the dash. Is it a correct assumption that this breaking event was generated by the front radar and not the parking aid/assist system?

If I remember correctly from another thread @Luiz Henrique's car has ACC, so I would presume AEB as well, but does not appear to support maneuver breaking. Unless something is not coded properly. Help us please someone, we need to make sense of this, haha.

Last edited:

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I guess it's worth coming back to this thread. I had my first emergency braking "event" a couple days ago. Waiting for the gate out of my complex to open and I started to drive forward sooner than the car approved of. So this was emergency breaking going less than 5 mph, beginning to accelerate from a stop.

I had turned off the park pilot after pulling up to the gate just so it would stop beeping at me. And I got the big red symbol in the dash. Is it there for a correct assumption that this breaking event was generated by the front radar and not the parking aid/assist system?

If I remember correctly from another thread @Luiz Henrique's car has ACC, so I would presume AEB as well, but does not appear to support maneuver breaking. Unless something is not coded properly. Help us please someone, we need to make sense of this, haha.
today I will do more testing, and I will check all the coding and adaptations of the modules: 03, 10 and 17. I register any evolution!

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Hi everyone,

Hope y'all are doing great!

My rear right center parking sensor fell inside, which makes sense, since with my first iteration (which was the rear when I didn't know much about this retrofit) I used some cheap glue instead of the JBWeld. After leaving it like that for a couple of months since I had absolutely no time to mess with it, I finally took off the bumper, cleaned the surface area for the bracket and glued that in again.

After re-assembling the bumper, I got a fault code for the rear parking sensors. After checking with VCDS, I received a fault code for "short to ground" for the rear center right parking sensor (the same one). I reckoned I didn't connect it properly, so I gave it some time and yesterday I finally had time so I took off the wheel well screws and pushed my hand to get to it and reconnected the connector - but same issue - short to ground.

Can anyone post the pin outs for the rear harness? I spotted 1 red/yellow wire (I assume is power), one brown-ish wire (I assume ground) and a few more green wires which I assume are for each sensor's data.

I used a multimeter to check the continuity for the PLA sensor (which is working) and it beeped for the red pin, but not for the ground/green (I tried all pins). The problematic sensor didn't beep at all, even for the red pin. Shouldn't they beep for the ground?

Any help is welcome!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hmmm, looking for this I assume. Did you check the disconnect from the body into the bumper?
Rear Sensors.JPG

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I mean the one from the car to the bumper, that let's you remove the bumper (with harness still attached to it). I can disconnect here, then pull the bumper without having to touch the sensors at all.

If your harness is routed down the right side of your car this disconnect woould be in the same place as the one for your license plate lights.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I mean the one from the car to the bumper, that let's you remove the bumper (with harness still attached to it). I can disconnect here, then pull the bumper without having to touch the sensors at all.

If your harness is routed down the right side of your car this disconnect woould be in the same place as the one for your license plate lights.

oh, yeah. I performed the continuity test from that harness to the sensor itself

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Then in that case you've already isolated the problem to the bumper harness, time to open it up.

Yes, but that doesn't make much sense:

1. When I performed the continuity test from the red wire in the rear bumper harness to the red wire in the working sensor, it beeped. Why didn't it beep on the red wire in the defective sensor? The DTC says "short to ground".
2. When I performed the continuity test from the brown wire in the rear bumper harness to the brown wire in the working sensor, it didn't beep. Shouldn't it have? Same for the green (data) wire. Tried all pins.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Going by the wiring diagram, T10lf being your disconnect. It's relatively safe to assume red is power, brown is ground... but when troubleshooting I go by pin numbers. Properly colored wiring makes things easier, but isn't always correct. And in the grand scheme of things, the wire colors don't matter.

T0lf Pin 8 should have continuity to Pin 1 on all sensors. So all of the sensor Pin 1's should read to each other and T0lf Pin 8, and to nothing else.
T0lf Pin 7 should have continuity to Pin 3 on all sensors. So all of the sensor Pin 2's should read to each other and T0lf Pin 7, and to nothing else.
In both cases, your single wire at T0lf is then spliced into for each of the individual sensors.

T10lf Pin x should have continuity to Pin 2 on each individual sensor, as follows...
T0lf Pin 9 > Left Parallel Sensor Pin 2
T0lf Pin 6 > Left Rear Parking Sensor Pin 2
T0lf Pin 5 > Left Rear Center Parking Sensor Pin 2
T0lf Pin 4 > Right Rear Center Parking Sensor Pin 2
T0lf Pin 3 > Right Rear Parking Sensor Pin 2
T0lf Pin 10 > Right Parallel Sensor Pin 2

Since you are getting a short to ground fault you know the electrical problem. If the DTC is pointing to one sensor that narrows down the physical location of your electrical fault. I would start by unwrapping the harness at the sensor, working my way up to the main harness until you find the splices.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Okay, so today I removed the rear bumper to try and find the issue. Turns out this whole harness is junk. Instead of the ground wires going to each sensor like tree branches, they all go down in a weird path and then joined together with some weird weld that did not hold very well.

While diagnosing the issue, I got frustruated at some point and accidently pulled two brackets out of the bumper, so now I'm left with two holes.

I decided to tackle this once and for all and order 6 GENUINE sensors and brackets and 1 GENUINE wiring harness, sand the bumper from the inside so everything sits flush and re-do the whole thing when everything arrives.

No more AliExpress for me!!!!