GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stupid idea to make my is12 turbo rattle go away :)

samsammia

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 tsi 1.8t
Hi guy,

My is12 in my golf 7 s the turbo actuator rod rattles all the time on slow driving like 60-70% of the time. mostly rattles when in higher gear when engine has to push a little on slow speeds. If it annoys me to much I just give it more gas to have higher rpm or put it sports mode which makes it completely go away. So i got to thinking on how make it less audible or complete go away (knock on the wood) on the cheap without breaking anything. I have some Super Lube 91003 Silicone High-Dielectric and Vacuum Grease laying around if i was to apply that on the lose joint should probably make it less rattle with movement restriction. I cannot afford a new turbo just make the noise go away. Also thought of using cloth electrical tape automotive but that would potentially make it get stuck and restrict the movement.

Just want some thought on this i am crazy of thinking the super lube might just work

sorry for the long post I appreciate your help

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
We're talking about the waste gate actuator rod here, right? If so, my 2015 has done it since the day I bought it. There was a similar thing on the MK6, and VW released some sort of weight/clip they put on their to diagnose it, but nothing similar was ever released for the MK7 as far as I know. Mine is most noticeable in D when it's in the highest gear and approaches an incline and has to lug around 2,000 - 3,000 RPM.

GolfMK6 reading:
TSI Wastegate Rattle?! | VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
2 things.

1. Make sure the heat shield bolts are all attached. I lost one somehow (out at the end by the DP) and it started rattling and I couldn't figure it out for quite awhile.
2. Make sure it isn't the fuel line rattling instead. Shove some foam or something up underneath the car next to the lines to see if it stops.

samsammia

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 tsi 1.8t
We're talking about the waste gate actuator rod here, right? If so, my 2015 has done it since the day I bought it. There was a similar thing on the MK6, and VW released some sort of weight/clip they put on their to diagnose it, but nothing similar was ever released for the MK7 as far as I know. Mine is most noticeable in D when it's in the highest gear and approaches an incline and has to lug around 2,000 - 3,000 RPM.

GolfMK6 reading:
TSI Wastegate Rattle?! | VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com
Yes i have exactly have the same issue

samsammia

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 tsi 1.8t
you can see in video with sound for more clarity on the situation. I mean i have been driving like that for months now but still get annoyed once in a while. looking to fix the problem if possible with quick diy without breaking anything putting more load on the actuator itself. My mechanic said to leave it alone until it causes any issue.

I did find this on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/264516869641 don't know how you go on changing it but i found it interesting non the less.

I opted to use the lube as it will not restrict the movement of the actuator. Was thinking of using Wire Harness Automotive Cloth Tape but that might get stuck or something eventually.

It sucks they dont have a clip for this or recall get this fix ☹️

samsammia

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 tsi 1.8t
2 things.

1. Make sure the heat shield bolts are all attached. I lost one somehow (out at the end by the DP) and it started rattling and I couldn't figure it out for quite awhile.
2. Make sure it isn't the fuel line rattling instead. Shove some foam or something up underneath the car next to the lines to see if it stops.
I appreciate your help alot but sadly it is the actuator rod

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Yankee Farmer idea.......I would try clamping a weight to the rod (think fishing weight). Simple and cheap to try

#resonance

samsammia

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 tsi 1.8t
If it makes you feel any better, my car is a 2015 GTI with the stock IS20. It's 6 years old now with 56k miles and the rattle hasn't caused an issue other than being a bit annoying once in a while.
yea i was just was thinking of solution to not so bad of a problem. got 99k miles on mine.