GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Simos Tools - New Phone Datalogging App

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Hey gang, wanted to share some recent developments on a new phone datalogging app, which I think may interest some of you. Made by our very own @Switchleg , I have been helping him test it and creating definition files. Also credit to @bri3d for creating the initial BLE to ISOTP20 firmware.

I don't think there's been a great datalogging option, outside of something like Cobb Accessport (VCDS is NOT a great option for logging). Best of all, this is cheap and all open source. In the works is phone flashing and other stuff.... but I'll keep this topic mostly centered on the logging portion. All of this is still very new, so things are still changing and updating quite often.

- Works on any Simos18.1/18.6/18.10 (MK7, MK7.5, Audi A3/S3, all of the other Euro versions of these cars)
- Dongle required is Macchina A0 using BLE (Bluetooth low energy): https://www.macchina.cc/catalog/a0-boards/a0-under-dash
- App is Android only at the moment: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app.simostools&hl=en_US&gl=US
- Can log any PID to include "advanced" ones such as boost over 23psi, knock, ethanol content, airmass over 1389 mg/stk, etc.
- Logs around 600 PID/s. So 30 params around 20hz, 60 params around 10hz, etc. This is way faster than VCDS and 6x faster than HP tuners logging.
- Totally configurable, can set what to log, which page to put what gauges on, min/max alarms for any param.
- Read ECU info and clear DTC functions. More utilities to be implemented down the road. (improved logging interface and flashing is priority right now)

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I want to add that the development of the SimosTools phone is moving very quickly. The information which @aaronc7 posted could be out of date quickly. If you are all interested, it works great! It's not in the most polished form, but @Switchleg and others are working hard to improve it everday. Check it out if you like tinkering, but don't be surprised if the system changes.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
yeah, the google play version does not get updated nearly as quickly. But still, there is a chance an update might break something small in the def files etc. Feel free to reach out if you have questions or need help. Or check in before updating app. Eventually it will calm down. I feel like the logging function is getting close.

Last edited:

jc1

Car(s)
2017 Golf Sportwagen
Here's what it looks like on the down and dirty.

Pretty much a fantastic way of simultaneously viewing the display while recording a log.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
When you say you can flash the car by using this, does it mean I could flash a Maestro file without using the ED flashing interface?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
When you say you can flash the car by using this, does it mean I could flash a Maestro file without using the ED flashing interface?
It flashes .bin files, it won't flash maestro or any aftermarket tool specific format/file

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This is one of the gauge layouts for the logger now. It's only getting better and better.

Screenshot_20211113-091534.png