GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RPM Question

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
So each day I drive a 1 mile stretch where the speed limit is 30 mph. My goal each day is to drive about 32 mph. In third gear I do this at 2100 RPMs and in second gear it’s 3000 RPMs. Which is the better rpm for the engine?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
For just cruising I would be in 3rd, maybe even 4th

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So each day I drive a 1 mile stretch where the speed limit is 30 mph. My goal each day is to drive about 32 mph. In third gear I do this at 2100 RPMs and in second gear it’s 3000 RPMs. Which is the better rpm for the engine?
3rd gear is fine.

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I failed to say I'm driving a MT car, EQT stage 2 93...

I drive 32mph in the 30mph zone in third gear running at 2100 rpm rather than second gear at 3000 rpm. Fourth gear would put the rpm's near 1000 and not something I would do.

I guess I was really asking, "All things being equal, do higher rpms lead to more wear and tear on an engine?" Seems logical to me but I'm no mechanic.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The car probably wants you in 5th at 30 mph. 😋

But yeah, higher rpm is literally making the engine/trans work harder.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I failed to say I'm driving a MT car, EQT stage 2 93...

I drive 32mph in the 30mph zone in third gear running at 2100 rpm rather than second gear at 3000 rpm. Fourth gear would put the rpm's near 1000 and not something I would do.

I guess I was really asking, "All things being equal, do higher rpms lead to more wear and tear on an engine?" Seems logical to me but I'm no mechanic.
You're right not to use 4th gear. That would lug the motor. 3rd gear at 2100 RPM is perfect.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm in a similar situation, but with lots of hills. I tend to use second going down for engine braking and third going back up.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
6th gear, 3k rpm