GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 battery issue

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
All,

My battery has been really acting up past couple of months. Due to the pamdemic and full remote work from home, i rarely drive my car. Maybe once every week.
It would lose all charges and would not crank. However, when I plugged into a battery maintainer for like 30 mins it would start no problem.
Lately it seems the frequency i had to do that is much higher even when I don't drive my car for 2 days.
I even took the car to Advanced Auto when the battery is charged and have them check the health of the battery and they said is good - and for this weather and battery 2 years old is "normal".

Do you all think there is some sort of underlying electrical problems? One thing is when the battery was replaced in 2019 i did not "code" the battery to the car as "new". Is that the reason why is not charging?

Trying to think of next step to fix this problem for good, get new battery and "code" the battery into the computer properly? or ?

Thanks so much.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
do you have start/stop?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
All,

My battery has been really acting up past couple of months. Due to the pamdemic and full remote work from home, i rarely drive my car. Maybe once every week.
It would lose all charges and would not crank. However, when I plugged into a battery maintainer for like 30 mins it would start no problem.
Lately it seems the frequency i had to do that is much higher even when I don't drive my car for 2 days.
I even took the car to Advanced Auto when the battery is charged and have them check the health of the battery and they said is good - and for this weather and battery 2 years old is "normal".

Do you all think there is some sort of underlying electrical problems? One thing is when the battery was replaced in 2019 i did not "code" the battery to the car as "new". Is that the reason why is not charging?

Trying to think of next step to fix this problem for good, get new battery and "code" the battery into the computer properly? or ?

Thanks so much.
If you didn't code the capacity when you installed the new battery that could be the reason. Go back to the auto parts store and tell them to do a "load test". Just checking the current charge doesn't matter. Could have a dead cell and a "load test" will show that.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If you only drive once per week and it's some kind of short trip even that is actually helping to kill the battery.

Don't go off looking for Zebras in Central Park here cause you perfectly describe the usage pattern of simply killing the battery through lack of use.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
FWIW, I have a 2016 with the original battery, live in chilly PA, and typically only drive once a week for the past 3 years with no issues. The trip is just 4 miles to the store and back - seriously.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
FWIW, I have a 2016 with the original battery, live in chilly PA, and typically only drive once a week for the past 3 years with no issues. The trip is just 4 miles to the store and back - seriously.
Everyone gets lucky once in a while. 😂

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
If you didn't code the capacity when you installed the new battery that could be the reason. Go back to the auto parts store and tell them to do a "load test". Just checking the current charge doesn't matter. Could have a dead cell and a "load test" will show that.
I could do that... but i think 2 years is very short for a battery to die so quickly

Also, im pretty sure i did not code the capacity last time i replaced the battery.
I am leaning towards starting with a new battery and code it - rather than chasing some electric problems that i may not have....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I could do that... but i think 2 years is very short for a battery to die so quickly

Also, im pretty sure i did not code the capacity last time i replaced the battery.
I am leaning towards starting with a new battery and code it - rather than chasing some electric problems that i may not have....
I've had battery that die that fast. But the store you had it tested at can use the same device to do a quick load test to see how the battery is when there is a load when cranking the engine. It's up to you.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
to clarify they would hook up the device while I crank the engine (after the battery is fully maintained), is that what you meant?