GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I could possibly see that if it's the moment you turn on the car, but the second exhaust gases start flowing through the turbo, that whole assembly is going to be hundreds of degrees.
I meant that cold air is denser so if you were already having control issues with the wastegate the lower temps aren't helping.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I meant that cold air is denser so if you were already having control issues with the wastegate the lower temps aren't helping.

Ahh. That makes more sense.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I haven't looked through your logs, but I'm seeing mentions of overboost with wastegate open. The most common cause of this is when Traction Control (usually Cobb TC) pulls a bunch of timing in response to major spin. When this happens, a lot more exhaust energy and heat is thrown at the turbo while the engine flow is reduced severely. This can cause the turbo to overboost even with the wastegate wide open. This tends to happen more in colder weather because traction is worse and the charge air is more dense.

If this condition is happening without major traction control intervention, then you need to look at your wastegate flow. Often times adjusting the wastegate actuator to a higher voltage (around 4.0-4.2v) will help. Doing this gives the wastegate arm more travel, allowing it to open further and allowing the wastegate to flow as much as possible. If this doesn't resolve the issue, the only other options are to port the wastegate or add a little restriction to the setup. The latter obviously isn't ideal for performance. These are very extreme cases and generally only happen when you have a very free flowing setup in very cold weather.

Thanks
-- Ed

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
@Acadia18 Random question, but any issues with the ECS breather hose? Thinking of picking one up for my eventual PCV replacement, though it looks like a water pump may be coming up first.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I haven't looked through your logs, but I'm seeing mentions of overboost with wastegate open. The most common cause of this is when Traction Control (usually Cobb TC) pulls a bunch of timing in response to major spin. When this happens, a lot more exhaust energy and heat is thrown at the turbo while the engine flow is reduced severely. This can cause the turbo to overboost even with the wastegate wide open. This tends to happen more in colder weather because traction is worse and the charge air is more dense.

If this condition is happening without major traction control intervention, then you need to look at your wastegate flow. Often times adjusting the wastegate actuator to a higher voltage (around 4.0-4.2v) will help. Doing this gives the wastegate arm more travel, allowing it to open further and allowing the wastegate to flow as much as possible. If this doesn't resolve the issue, the only other options are to port the wastegate or add a little restriction to the setup. The latter obviously isn't ideal for performance. These are very extreme cases and generally only happen when you have a very free flowing setup in very cold weather.

Thanks
-- Ed

Wow, the man himself graced my thread! Thanks for the info.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Basically he needs some R888Rs, yeah? :devilish:

We're supposed to get 6" - 8" of snow tomorrow, how will the R888Rs hold up in snowy conditions? :ROFLMAO:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
@Acadia18 Random question, but any issues with the ECS breather hose? Thinking of picking one up for my eventual PCV replacement, though it looks like a water pump may be coming up first.

No issues whatsoever. Much prefer it since when you do need to remove it from the inlet pipe, there's no more fighting with that stupid connector.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Managed to grab a 2k - 6.2k 3rd gear log. Good news is there weren't any times the wg had to fully open. Boost didn't build as smoothly as it normally does. Does that look like signs of a leak somewhere? Have another car in my garage right now, so I haven't had a chance to get under the car and check the normal places yet...

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
There is zero chance you have traction.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Thanks
-- Ed
Boom! Nice info Ed!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Take it from my experience. If you are spinning it is hard to get anything useful from the data to make any conclusions. Just enjoy it until next spring.

There is zero chance you have traction.

angry-pingu.gif

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
As soon as my buddies MK7 is out of my garage (current plan is for it to be towed out to a dealer on Sat, still not running), I'll give my car a once-over to make sure nothing looks out of place, then just drive it normally and not think about it from here.... unless something pops up again...