GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R MK8 and price insanity... Share you experience and opinions

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking into a possible upgrade from MK7 R to MK8 R.
Apparently the vehicles have not even been delivered to the dealerships around the US, but when asking for prices, it seems like they will be inflated...

So far, some dealers reported around $45.5K for the DSG version (MSRP), plus $3K for "Addendum" (whatever that means), $1K dealer fees, $600 out-of-state Tag Fee, etc. etc.

What's your experience with pricing and availability?
Looks pretty crazy to me...

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Just as an example, I have my Mk8 (2ltr Diesel Style Model) just one year and the exact same model with same options today is almost 10% more expensive to buy. Options cost haven't changed very much, most are the same. As far as I know all new and second cars have rocketed in price due to semiconductor / microchip shortage and of course COVID-19, which is an excuse for everyone to up their prices from shipping to retail to everything else - justified or not who knows?

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
Same for my Clubsport, approximately 10% more expensive now. I got lucky and received it 4 months after ordering it (ordered 02/2021, received 06/2021). Was quoted up to an 8 month wait.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Here, in Canada, you’re looking at about 49-51.5 all in.

I’ll take it for what other parts of the world are paying.

I actually think it’s a good deal here ... especially when looking at what other manufacturers are offering.

Im glad I bought it and I love it

bentin

Autocross Champion
Here, in Canada, you’re looking at about 49-51.5 all in.

I’ll take it for what other parts of the world are paying.

I actually think it’s a good deal here ... especially when looking at what other manufacturers are offering.

Im glad I bought it and I love it
Your deal up there is amazingly good. You're basically getting a 20% discount to us down here and you can leave off the sunroof, if you want. If you got the cloth seats too I'd be truly mad.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Your deal up there is amazingly good. You're basically getting a 20% discount to us down here and you can leave off the sunroof, if you want. If you got the cloth seats too I'd be truly mad.

Ya im happy. Bang for your buck nothing compares here.

I will say there is an issue with the headlights in extreme cold (only when headlights are on at night). Getting some condensation in the housings which is annoying me.

it happens at -20 or colder. Had it out at -5 last night and it didn’t replicate

bentin

Autocross Champion
Ya im happy. Bang for your buck nothing compares here.

I will say there is an issue with the headlights in extreme cold (only when headlights are on at night). Getting some condensation in the housings which is annoying me.

it happens at -20 or colder. Had it out at -5 last night and it didn’t replicate
Price you pay for such a good deal. Not going to be an issue down here. But you’d think ze Germans would have cold weather things sorted, wouldn’t you?

welninski

I'm looking into a possible upgrade from MK7 R to MK8 R.
Apparently the vehicles have not even been delivered to the dealerships around the US, but when asking for prices, it seems like they will be inflated...

So far, some dealers reported around $45.5K for the DSG version (MSRP), plus $3K for "Addendum" (whatever that means), $1K dealer fees, $600 out-of-state Tag Fee, etc. etc.

What's your experience with pricing and availability?
Looks pretty crazy to me...
Purchased 12-16-2021 a 2022 DSG Autobahn Jamelo Yellow in Denver metro and paid MSRP less $750.00 plus a great trade on my 2020 6M Jetta R. Dealer tinted the windows for zero dollars and swapped in Continental DSW06+ All Seasons for the summer tires for zero dollars. Seems like I did well upon seeing the recent prices.

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Price you pay for such a good deal. Not going to be an issue down here. But you’d think ze Germans would have cold weather things sorted, wouldn’t you?
Hi bentin,

😠 There's a lot more ze Germans haven't sorted out - look no further than other posts in the forum!

cycler

I picked up my 2022 MK8 Autobahn in Pomelo Yellow in a 6spd with all season rubber front and rear mats with the GTI logo in red for $1000 over msrp. Originally the dealer wanted $5k over msrp. But the car was there since the 1st week of Nov. They were paying interest on the car since that time. He said Pomelo Yellow was the hottest color out there. And that only 700 were being sent to the US. And he said there was a deposit on the car. My previous car was totaled December 3rd when a 90 year old school bus driver crashed through my fence. The Jaguar XE 30T awd was due back in Feb but I extended the lease by 6 months because of whats going on with car prices. My insurance paid for a loaner up to $1000 and I had the loaner for a month. During that month I went to 4 VW dealers. All wanted between $5k to $6.5k over sticker. I went to the VW dealer thats 4 miles from my house 4 times. and they called me 3 times. The other dealers here as well as Brooklyn dropped their prices by $1.5 to $2k over msrp. The dealer 4 miles away dropped the price from $5k over msrp to $2.5K over msrp after I came in a few times. Jan 1st I called the dealership as a joke to see if they were open. They were actually open. I spoke to my salesman. Make a long story short I said the car is on your lot since the 1st week of Nov. Its a GTI Autobahn in Pomelo Yellow with a 6spd. Your end of the month end Monday Jan 4th. Youre paying interest on the car for 2 months. You need the sale so that you can add it to your months end cars sales. And the fact that you keep telling me that there is a deposit on the car. But you will give it to me if I sign for isnt true. No dealer would keep a car that long. I told him I know you wont let it go for under msrp or at msrp because youre not at the point where youre losing money while the car sits on the lot and youre paying interest on it. So give it to me at $500 over msrp. He went to his sales manager, then came back and said $2000, I said no. He came back again and said $1500. I said $1000. As he was walking away my 11 year old daughter who is a mini me called him by his name and said. Mark through in the all season front and back rubber mats with the GTI logo on them for $1000 over msrp and we have a deal. Dude came back and said his sales manager agreed. The point to this long winded rant is. Find out when the car you want was delivered. Choose 2 or 3 colors you like. See what they have in stock. Look on the web which is the most popular. Maybe you can live with your 2nd or 3rd choice. I for one loved Moonstone gray. But I also really liked Pomelo Yellow because it was different and I like having cars and motorcycles (dont get me started on the mods to my Harley Dyna, Ducati 1299 and two BMWs. The Dynas only stock parts are the tins, wire harness, tranny box and frame). So I chose the Pomelo Yellow. I also wanted a 6spd because I didnt have one since my last BMW. The car was $1000 over sticker. With the prices dealers are charging over sticker for all cars now as well as the high lease rate because the money factors are higher (not sure if residuals are higher) I feel as though I got a bargain. My salesman said that a 39 month lease had the best rate. I leased the car for 39 months with 15K miles a year for $560 a month with $3500 out of pocket. That includes my first payment, taxes, bank fee, doc fees, tire disposal fees and motor vehicle fees. I know that the money factor and residual are higher compared to last year. But if I were leasing this car last year my payment would have been around $510. So paying $560 isnt that bad. A freaken Hyundai Elantra costs $530 to lease now. A Infiniti Q50 which cost $400 to $525 to lease last year depending on the options you chose now costs $675 to $750 to lease. Granted all these prices that are over msrp to buy as well as residuals and money factors should get lower within a year once all these car back orders and chip shortages end. But for now the fact that this dealer gave me the price at $1000 over msrp is a win win. I sent him 2 other people who got cars from him and they got the cars for $1000 over msrp. They werent from NY. Once was from NC and the other from Maine. It was cheaper for them to get their cars from this dealer even with the cost of getting the cars to them. Rather than getting their VWs from their dealers.

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
@cycler, that's some good advise there...

I think I'll have to sit this one out... I contacted more dealerships in Florida and I've been receiving some scary quotes...
I thought that a $3,000 "Addendum" fee was bad... they are now talking $10K Addendum...

$61K out-the-door!
(MK8 Golf R with DSG)

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It appears that the days of negotiating a discount when buying a new car are sadly long gone.
UK buyers can use the likes of Drive the Deal. They’re currently giving a discount of just over 13% off the list price of a Golf GTI (discount includes VW’s finance deposit contribution). There’ll be a long wait before you take delivery though - but then there’d be an equally long wait for a factory order if you buy direct through the VW dealer.

cycler

@cycler, that's some good advise there...

I think I'll have to sit this one out... I contacted more dealerships in Florida and I've been receiving some scary quotes...
I thought that a $3,000 "Addendum" fee was bad... they are now talking $10K Addendum...

$61K out-the-door!
(MK8 Golf R with DSG)
@ilikevenice it may be cheaper for you to get the car in NY. You can either fly here and pick up the car. Or have it shipped. Shoot me a PM and we can talk. I get nothing for the people I send Mark my dealer. I just bank up the sales he makes so I get a really good deal on the next car I get from him. Plus I am giving him a great price on wheels for his 2020 Audi. I already sent him 2 people and they got really good deals that they didnt except.