GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Mount -- Is It Done?

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Same with mine - I did the 034 mounts but when I got the trans mount and saw it was welded I thought "glad I didn't buy the BFI cube insert"..ahhaha
I couldn't believe my eyes. I contemplated getting the engine/trans mount from bfi but thought i could save a few bucks. Again, played myself.

I put it all back together. I'm done for the season 🤣. I got to finish ripping floors up in the house and will order the trans mount after heavy drinking so the cost won't feel as bad.

As a matter of fact, if anyone lives near Orange County, NY...bring me a case of beer and the insert is yours.😬

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Looks like I played myself. Thought I'd me able to use the insert but looks like it's a welded piece.

View attachment 235946

View attachment 235947

If your mount is good, I'll trade you my stock riveted mount for it. Just pay the shipping both ways. I'm saving mine for the eventual partout and have the full BFI mount installed. PM me if you're interested. I can send you a picture of mine first.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
From a NVH standpoint? Nah, it’s not even enough for non car enthusiasts to notice.

A completely stock TDI is literally worse.

True, a stock TDI has mild NVH throughout the powerband. I can't speak about Stage 2 but the Stage 1's are pretty much like stock except for:

- engaging first gear
- with the AC on
- in reverse
- giving it the beans

In my car, it's less about vibration and more about noise. The car is a lot louder, especially when it's cold. I should bring my SPL meter along sometime. The noise is the one thing that bothers me about the mounts, so I'm going to install some sound deadening mat in the trunk and firewall when it warms up a bit.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
True, a stock TDI has mild NVH throughout the powerband. I can't speak about Stage 2 but the Stage 1's are pretty much like stock except for:

- engaging first gear
- with the AC on
- in reverse
- giving it the beans

In my car, it's less about vibration and more about noise. The car is a lot louder, especially when it's cold. I should bring my SPL meter along sometime. The noise is the one thing that bothers me about the mounts, so I'm going to install some sound deadening mat in the trunk and firewall when it warms up a bit.
With a manual, SMF car: the noise in 1st and 2nd gear, from 1k to @ 2.5k is pretty harsh in the summer. It sounds like driving a dump truck. Vibes aren't an issue in normal driving. In the winter, the trans fluid stays cold enough to absorb the chatter.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
With a manual, SMF car: the noise in 1st and 2nd gear, from 1k to @ 2.5k is pretty harsh in the summer. It sounds like driving a dump truck. Vibes aren't an issue in normal driving. In the winter, the trans fluid stays cold enough to absorb the chatter.

To me it sounds more like a flat four Subaru.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A handful of people have them & love ‘em, but since they’re discontinued if you find a set they cost more than double BFI.
Some guy very recently bought a brand new set for $550 and I'm holding on to a brand new set that I also paid $550 for. Got very lucky. Someone should try to arrange a group buy.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update:

To recap, bought the 034 engine/trans mounts back in December 21. Everything is/has been fine with these and they did firm things up a bit but nothing crazy; it took out the movement/slop I felt from the v. loose OE trans mount.

I noted as some here have that the engine mount looks like the rubber portion sticks out the back a bit. I ended up talking with 034 about it extensively. I took pictures, measurements, and even a video for them. They sent me a new mount but honestly, didn't want to install it b/c it looks exactly the same as the one in there. They said they took my video and compared an OE to theirs and that the measurements w/r to the length of the arm that attaches to the engine is the same. My first thought was that that arm on their mount is 10mm too long towards the engine so that when you put it in the engine/trans forces the mount out the back. That is not the case. TBH, one thing I'm kicking myself about was pitching the old OE mount/taking pics of all of this before this and not having it to really do a comparo measurement-wise with the new one they sent. All and all, now that I look at the new one and the one in the car, the bit hanging out the back is identical and I'm going with "how it is". I don't see this causing any issues or being detrimental, just looked so strange when I first looked at it after install and the pics in this thread. To me, the 034 mount's "horseshoe" portion that encases the rubber insert isn't as wide as the stocker which covers a bit more of it and I believe that is what the visual issue I'm having is with the portion you see out the back. Here is a pic of the new one they sent - same as what's in the car now. They also said I could keep the new mount they sent as I had offered to send it back - that was a nice thing to do that they didn't have to so now I have a spare.

Here is the new mount - as you can see comparing to what's on my car now, they are exactly the same indicating that while strange looking, it is "normal"/how these come. Ones in car are the original ones I had installed and the one on the workbench is the new one they sent. As you can see, they are the same.

20220217_113045.jpg
20220217_113049.jpg
20220217_113150.jpg
20220217_113152.jpg

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Update:

To recap, bought the 034 engine/trans mounts back in December 21. Everything is/has been fine with these and they did firm things up a bit but nothing crazy; it took out the movement/slop I felt from the v. loose OE trans mount.

I noted as some here have that the engine mount looks like the rubber portion sticks out the back a bit. I ended up talking with 034 about it extensively. I took pictures, measurements, and even a video for them. They sent me a new mount but honestly, didn't want to install it b/c it looks exactly the same as the one in there. They said they took my video and compared an OE to theirs and that the measurements w/r to the length of the arm that attaches to the engine is the same. My first thought was that that arm on their mount is 10mm too long towards the engine so that when you put it in the engine/trans forces the mount out the back. That is not the case. TBH, one thing I'm kicking myself about was pitching the old OE mount/taking pics of all of this before this and not having it to really do a comparo measurement-wise with the new one they sent. All and all, now that I look at the new one and the one in the car, the bit hanging out the back is identical and I'm going with "how it is". I don't see this causing any issues or being detrimental, just looked so strange when I first looked at it after install and the pics in this thread. To me, the 034 mount's "horseshoe" portion that encases the rubber insert isn't as wide as the stocker which covers a bit more of it and I believe that is what the visual issue I'm having is with the portion you see out the back. Here is a pic of the new one they sent - same as what's in the car now. They also said I could keep the new mount they sent as I had offered to send it back - that was a nice thing to do that they didn't have to so now I have a spare.

Here is the new mount - as you can see comparing to what's on my car now, they are exactly the same indicating that while strange looking, it is "normal"/how these come. Ones in car are the original ones I had installed and the one on the workbench is the new one they sent. As you can see, they are the same.

View attachment 239530View attachment 239531View attachment 239532View attachment 239533

I just removed this 2 weeks ago. OEM mount...hope it helps

Attachments

• PXL_20220217_181346499.jpg
    PXL_20220217_181346499.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220217_181403669.jpg
    PXL_20220217_181403669.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 73

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I just removed this 2 weeks ago. OEM mount...hope it helps
Thank you! I was able to measure across teh top of the OE before I pitched mine....it's about 1cm wider across the top to the p. side so therefore covering that extra bit that hangs out on the 034 one that has a narrower "horseshoe" portion. They are not the same mounts as many have said - the OE has some differences.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So it's been a while....034 engine/trans mounts on my Sportwagen still going strong. I've done about 40+ drag runs at the track on these plus generaly beat the shit of my car on the road with no drama. The bit of the mount that looks like it's pushed out the back is not an issue or a problem, it's just how they are designed and come new. Since then I've added the 034 dogbone arm, pucks, and upper/lower inserts as well as a host of other chassis mods...rock solid/NVH within tolerable limits.