GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upper timing chain cover leak. Powertrain warranty?

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Took my car in for a last look over and oil change before factory warranty was to expire at 60k currently at 58888. They told me the upper timing chain cover had a leak but are saying it is not covered under powertrain warranty. Has anyone else experienced this? I would think that this job would be a powertrain issue since it is a part of the engine.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Took my car in for a last look over and oil change before factory warranty was to expire at 60k currently at 58888. They told me the upper timing chain cover had a leak but are saying it is not covered under powertrain warranty. Has anyone else experienced this? I would think that this job would be a powertrain issue since it is a part of the engine.
It's all about the fine print/details of the warranty. Often things like this are excluded. Just read it. Mostly powertrain are the mechanical/physical bits and don't include everything bolted to the engine.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
It's all about the fine print/details of the warranty. Often things like this are excluded. Just read it. Mostly powertrain are the mechanical/physical bits and don't include everything bolted to the engine.
I honestly was looking for this information and could not locate it. It is original VW warranty and could not find it on the VW site. But was at work and didn't have a lot of time looking for it. Thanks for info Tigeo

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I honestly was looking for this information and could not locate it. It is original VW warranty and could not find it on the VW site. But was at work and didn't have a lot of time looking for it. Thanks for info Tigeo
Should be in your owner's manual/warranty booklet - do you still have it?

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Should be in your owner's manual/warranty booklet - do you still have it?
I do just don't daily the GTI anymore and could not look for it yet. Will tonight.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Mine was done at 59,000 along with an oil pan and level sensor. Car is FBO on E30 and no questions asked

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
How bad of a "leak" is it? That's gonna be the first deciding factor
Oil never on floor or street shield. Honestly didn't know there was a leak there. So I am going to say not that bad.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Mine was done at 59,000 along with an oil pan and level sensor. Car is FBO on E30 and no questions asked
Petey T Can you tell me what the code was billed as because the dealer told me that there was no code for it under warranty repair list.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Petey any chance you have the bill statement after getting the warranty work done want to plead my case to them with evidence that it can be done under warranty.

nightblue.gti

Passed Driver's Ed
I have experienced it, job was done under warranty @45k miles and funnily enough its leaking again at 65k miles. Mind you I dont have factory warranty, I have a third party.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Is it getting on your plugs?
Don't know. Was going to have the checkup/oil change done. And then I have some parts I wanted to add after this was done. I have a FMIC, EQT stage 2 tune, and fresh plugs all waiting to go in. Right now just on stage 1 COBB tune. Maybe I will pull the plugs this weekend and take a look. Car runs well and don't have any issues at all. I also never have to add oil to the car. Or even see any difference in oil level and always check it in my garage before start up so I can gauge it correctly. I may call another dealer tomorrow (one where I bought it from). As the other dealer I went to is just logistically closer to my home.