GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommendations on rear non-PP Brake Setup for Street/Track?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Looking for some advice:

I currently have a bbk ready to go on the car, that takes care of the front. At the same time I want to go ahead do a mild upgrade to the rears. I know the rears don't do much braking so not much, if any upgrade is necessary. However, I do have a track day next month.

I was thinking:

Centric Blanks or Stoptech Slotted
EBC Yellow (would get from FPC)
SS Lines

And RBF600 or RBF660 Fluid

Any different suggestions? Would there been any advantage to slotted rears?

I was looking for Ferodo 2500s, but it seems they don't make them for non-pp rears. Unless I somehow flat out missed them and someone has a link.

TLDR: What do you suggest for NON-PP rear rotors and pads for Street car that also sees track time a few times a year?

TIA for the help.

Car Setup:

18 GTI S (DSG, non-PP)

Engine:
EQT Stage 2 93/E85 + dsg tune
MST Intake/Inlet
MAP catted Downpipe
X-force Varex Catback
Do88 Intercooler
Denso IKH01-24 (5750) Sparkplugs
MSD coilpacks

Suspension/Mounts

ORT RS Coilovers
034 Street Density Shock Mounts
034 RCO Ball Joints
034 Streetsport Motor mounts
034 Upper/Lower Inserts
034 Pendulum Mount
034 Adjustable End Links (Rear)
Neuspeed "Race" RSB 27mm
034 MQB Front Subframe Locking Collar Upgrade Kit
TyrolSport Deadset Subframe Kit (Rear) FWD MQB

Michelin PS4S 245/40r17
Motegi Traklite 3.0 17x8.5 et42

Probably will get a set of RT660s 245/45R17 soon

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I recommend using the Porterfield R4S at the rear paired with the Porterfield R4 (dedicated track day pad) up front for track days. You can swap the front for R4S for daily driving. The compound is interchangeable on the rotor.

The R4S all around will hold up to some track duty but once you start getting aggressive they will fade up front. The R4 will keep your car lapping through entire sessions.

The bias with R4 front and R4S rear works great.

Fr
https://frsport.com/products/porterfield-brake-pads-for-2017-volkswagen-gti-exc-perf-pkg

Rear
https://frsport.com/products/porter...wagen-gti-exc-perf-pkg?variant=41588896530584

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
PS

Whatever you use on the BBk, pair it with a compound front the same manufacturer in back even if it’s a step down in heat temp range. What you don’t want is two different compounds biting at different rates at different points in your braking.

I once had EBC yellows up front (never again) with Hawk HP+ at the rears and the rear pads were achieving their bite before the front set, upsetting the car in the brake zone- was unnerving.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
You can also reach out to Carbotech or Performance Friction for more options. I know that Carbotech makes rear pads for non PP brakes and they can cut you a pair for the front BBK with a similar or +1 compound.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
I recommend using the Porterfield R4S at the rear paired with the Porterfield R4 (dedicated track day pad) up front for track days. You can swap the front for R4S for daily driving. The compound is interchangeable on the rotor.

The R4S all around will hold up to some track duty but once you start getting aggressive they will fade up front. The R4 will keep your car lapping through entire sessions.

Fr
https://frsport.com/products/porterfield-brake-pads-for-2017-volkswagen-gti-exc-perf-pkg

Rear
https://frsport.com/products/porter...wagen-gti-exc-perf-pkg?variant=41588896530584

Appreciate it, I'll look into these.

Looks like they do sell them in the cut for my bbk. Running a wilwood 6r kit, uses 7416 sized pads and I see them available in the r4/r4s compound online.

And thanks for the tips on not mismatching compounds.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
I'd stay away from ebc pads on the track. They're garbage. I use carbotech xp12 in front (stoptech step bbk) and carbotech xp10 in the rear.
Definitely did not plan on running them up front... Heard too many bad reviews of them as fronts.

The Porterfields look super promising. I'll check carbotech also. Thanks!

Last edited:

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
+1 on porterfield combo, great pads and good customer service.
Looks like the Porterfields are taking an early lead.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I once had EBC yellows up front (never again) with Hawk HP+ at the rears and the rear pads were achieving their bite before the front set, upsetting the car in the brake zone- was unnerving.
Sorry if I read this wrong, but this sounds like a setup issue, not a yellows issue (and I'm no fan of EBC). The yellows have a cold mu of 0.4 and don't hit 0.5 until ~800*C. The HP+ pads have a cold mu of 0.55 with a peak of around 0.6.

OP, I think you're overthinking everything. You can mix and match compounds as long as you do it correctly. You just need to do some quick research on pad properties. For example, I'm running Pagid RSL29 fronts and Ferodo DS2500 rears. Cold mu is around 0.4 for both pads and friction is fairly similar for both with the DS2500s falling faster with higher heat, but not an issue being rear pads. Given yellows and RSL29 pads have similar cold mu, if I put HP+ pads in the rear like SouthFL, I'd probably run into the same issue even though Pagids are considered a high quality brake pad.

Given you have a front BBK, and that's doing most of the work, I'd say it's safe to run the yellows in the back. Porterfield pads are a great option too, like other people have recommended. I just don't know if there's any benefit when you can get free pad replacements on the yellows with FCP. Granted I run an R, but my factory rear pads held up just fine on multiple track days with stage 1 power. Heat was never an issue with the rear pads, only the fronts. I'm hard on my brakes. Some forum members can attest that braking zones are where I gain most of the time I lose chasing faster cars/drivers. I run DS2500s in the rear now since earlier I bought into the notion that I need rear "track" pads, and I bought them through FCP, so no reason to go back to factory pads. But, it only took me 15k miles to kill my factory rear pads. I just put on my third set of rear brake pads at 39k miles. I'm finding XDS destroys pads, which is why the FCP warranty is a big perk to me.

No, you will not gain anything by running slotted rotors, other than they might match your front rotors. Geez those BMP prices are high for those Centric blanks. They're almost 1/2 the price at RockAuto.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I run the same out back on my wagon - slotted 272s with Yellowstuff and ss lines. This with a BBK up front with a similar compound. Handles track. Ferodo makes a 2500 rear pad...they have them on FCP Euro's site.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Appreciate everyone's help and advice. I went ahead and ordered the Porterfield setup. R4S/R4S for Street and will use R4 up front on the track.

Pads showed up today. Waiting on a few tools and going to install everything when I get a free weekend.

Anyone have preferred xds/brake settings when running a bbk?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Appreciate everyone's help and advice. I went ahead and ordered the Porterfield setup. R4S/R4S for Street and will use R4 up front on the track.

Pads showed up today. Waiting on a few tools and going to install everything when I get a free weekend.

I have played with this stuff so much and TBH I can't really tell any difference for all the settings that everyone fucks around with. I landed XDS "weak", straight ahead brake stabilization "not activated", and hydraulic brake booster "not activated". I run the APR 350mm BBK on my 4Mo wagon.

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE

Fr

Rear
Just ordered these for my rears, the Powestop Trackday Spec pads I’m running put out too much dust for me.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Eager to hear your impression, I've heard good things about the r4(s).
I have Hydraulic Brake Assist disabled, Brake Booster set to 2, Straight Ahead stabilization disabled. You might want to play with the booster to see what feels better. you might want to set XDS to weak if you're tracking, just to get a bit more life out of the rears.