GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with rear suspension clunk

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
4DC9DF6B-FACC-49DA-AB33-FDFA0E1FD3BA.jpeg

I can’t get this top nut off of, it’ll spin but won’t come loose at all. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you

2015 gti se

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
Need to keep the shaft still, if you can hold that tab and get in there with an offset wrench you can break it loose.

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
Fastest way is holding the shaft on the other side with a visegrip with rubber on the jaws to prevent marring.
Or Specialty tool!
I ground down a socket so I could use 2 crescent wrenches for a strut.
Alternately, cut the center out of a socket to allow a visegrip or such to hold the strut end.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
If you use vice grips to hold the shaft, make sure you hold it as high on the shaft as you can. If you make ridges in the shaft at a spot that frequently retracts into the shock body, it will ruin the seal. I learned that lesson the hard way once.

That said, try to blast it off with that impact gun on the floor in your picture

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
Thank you everyone for the help, I ended up getting everything installed, don’t know what I’d do without this forum. By chance does anyone else have Bc racing coils on Mk7 gti? The car has been thumping a bit right underneath my feet and I can feel it sometimes in the clutch, really only happens when I’m coming to a stop, but not at every single stop. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? Gonna give everything a good look and make sure everything is torqued right tmrw but just wanted to see if someone may know anything, thanks again!
436592F4-38CC-41EB-944B-0C171BB50D98.jpeg
C5EE182D-889D-4210-906A-8FAAA637B353.jpeg

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Not sure how much help I can be, but if it's right under your feet look at anything that you had disconnected. My knee-jerk thought is to look at sway bar end links if they connect to the struts, but I know on older models they connected to the control arms. Also check your strut mounts for any play, and maybe see if the springs are able to wiggle at all when under load?

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
Not sure how much help I can be, but if it's right under your feet look at anything that you had disconnected. My knee-jerk thought is to look at sway bar end links if they connect to the struts, but I know on older models they connected to the control arms. Also check your strut mounts for any play, and maybe see if the springs are able to wiggle at all when under load?
Everything was tight, nothing had play but there was some grease or something right under the axle so that’s a bit alarming.
Heres a video, almost like a knock. https://youtube.com/shorts/6grDp6BCQas?feature=share

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Hmm, that's strange. In the video you specified rear, my initial impression was that it was a front clunk because you mentioned it felt like it was under your feet -- I may be off base here. Did you torque your strut mounting hardware with the suspension compressed/the weight of the car on the suspension? That could also create a clunk.

Again I'm no expert when it comes to the mk7 platform, but hopefully this helps a bit.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
What areas of the front suspension and rear suspension needs to be torque to specs under the full weight of the car, specifically which bolts or nuts and how you actually do it

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
Hmm, that's strange. In the video you specified rear, my initial impression was that it was a front clunk because you mentioned it felt like it was under your feet -- I may be off base here. Did you torque your strut mounting hardware with the suspension compressed/the weight of the car on the suspension? That could also create a clunk.

Again I'm no expert when it comes to the mk7 platform, but hopefully this helps a bit.

I torqued everything in after I jacked up the subframe/brakes and steering knuckle up into the bottom of the coilover. Then dropped the jack and everything was held back in place. If I understood what you said correctly, you may be on to something there. Thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate the help man

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
Update- only happens when I turn the wheel or going over bumps, definitely drivers front side. Makes me think sway bar links but those are both tight

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Update- only happens when I turn the wheel or going over bumps, definitely drivers front side. Makes me think sway bar links but those are both tight
Hmm, this almost sounds like the strut bushing/bearings. How does everything attach up there, are there two nuts or only one holding the shaft of the strut to the strut mount/bearing? Is there a 'correct' seating position for the spring, that could've been jostled when setting ride height? I don't think that'd be an issue, but maybe it's worth seeing if you can wiggle the spring at all while there's weight on it. Otherwise it could be the spring binding up, I had that happen on my FK Streetlines back when I had my mk4 -- but typing this out, I realized that if it's happening going over bumps in a straight line, that likely isn't spring bind (mine was only when turning).

If the weight of the car wasn't on the suspension when tightening the end links, that could definitely be related -- it's a common complaint in Mazda land (specifically on the Mazda3, in my experience). I built a set of ramps with 2x10s laid on one another and screwed together in order to be able to get under the front of the car with the weight on the suspension, if you've got access to a SAFE way to be under the front end/access the sway bar end links with the wheels bearing the weight of the car, I'd suggest loosening and re-tightening them to be sure.

Oh, and are these new end links or are you reusing? I'd say try re-tightening the end links before spending money on hardware that may not be necessary, either way be safe and keep us updated on what you find.

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
Hmm, this almost sounds like the strut bushing/bearings. How does everything attach up there, are there two nuts or only one holding the shaft of the strut to the strut mount/bearing? Is there a 'correct' seating position for the spring, that could've been jostled when setting ride height? I don't think that'd be an issue, but maybe it's worth seeing if you can wiggle the spring at all while there's weight on it. Otherwise it could be the spring binding up, I had that happen on my FK Streetlines back when I had my mk4 -- but typing this out, I realized that if it's happening going over bumps in a straight line, that likely isn't spring bind (mine was only when turning).

If the weight of the car wasn't on the suspension when tightening the end links, that could definitely be related -- it's a common complaint in Mazda land (specifically on the Mazda3, in my experience). I built a set of ramps with 2x10s laid on one another and screwed together in order to be able to get under the front of the car with the weight on the suspension, if you've got access to a SAFE way to be under the front end/access the sway bar end links with the wheels bearing the weight of the car, I'd suggest loosening and re-tightening them to be sure.

Oh, and are these new end links or are you reusing? I'd say try re-tightening the end links before spending money on hardware that may not be necessary, either way be safe and keep us updated on what you find.
Thank you man I really appreciate your time and response. Hoping to work on the car tmrw and check that out. Haven’t Had the time at all for the past 3 weeks. If it’s not that then I’ll most likely have my shop look at it when I get an alignment. Thanks again, will keep updated on what happens