GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine cut out (stop/start) and failing to restart ?

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, got a new issue. Mk8 eTSi 1.5 DSG.

Car was fully warmed up after a 50 mile journey. I came up to a junction, slowing down, and then turned left. I didn’t stop rolling but I was down to crawling pace as i did not have priority.
Once round the junction I accelerated and nothing happened. The petrol engine was not running. But I did continue crawling at a slow walking pace for about 30 metres, until I pulled over.
This was on a slight incline, so I should have just rolled to a halt in a few metres. It felt like the electric motor was pulling me along, but of course that should not run on its own - it is only there to supplement the petrol engine.

I shut the car down, and restarted it, and it now works fine. I have had no error messages at any point.

My gut feel is that the stop/start system shut the engine down as I approached the junction (stop/start on this car is very aggressive- it kicks in very early and I frequently see the message “coasting“ on the dash), and then failed to restart the engine when needed.

Anyone else had this ?

Thanks,

Pete

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Ok, got a new issue. Mk8 eTSi 1.5 DSG.

Car was fully warmed up after a 50 mile journey. I came up to a junction, slowing down, and then turned left. I didn’t stop rolling but I was down to crawling pace as i did not have priority.
Once round the junction I accelerated and nothing happened. The petrol engine was not running. But I did continue crawling at a slow walking pace for about 30 metres, until I pulled over.
This was on a slight incline, so I should have just rolled to a halt in a few metres. It felt like the electric motor was pulling me along, but of course that should not run on its own - it is only there to supplement the petrol engine.

I shut the car down, and restarted it, and it now works fine. I have had no error messages at any point.

My gut feel is that the stop/start system shut the engine down as I approached the junction (stop/start on this car is very aggressive- it kicks in very early and I frequently see the message “coasting“ on the dash), and then failed to restart the engine when needed.

Anyone else had this ?

Thanks,

Pete
I cannot help with your overall issue, but I can offer a bit of help with the aggressive stop/start, it can be controlled simply with how hard the brake pedal is depressed, the car can be brought to a stop and held on the foot brake without activating the SS system by simply not depressing the pedal fully, at maybe 90% depressed the car will not shut off even though you are at a complete stop, press a little further to fully depress the brake pedal and the SS will cut the engine, with a little practice the system becomes easily manageable just using your foot.

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for that. I will have a play and see what happens.

I took the car out for a drive today, and all seems fine, and I couldn’t replicate the issue. However, even if I turned Stop/Start off, the car still seems to shut the engine off when ”Coasting” is displayed on the dash i.e. when on overrun.
I am going to play around with settings on the drive to work tomorrow to see how it behaves.

Pete

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, just to add to this, as I have been playing around with the car's settings.

The car seems to have 2 scenarios where it stops the engine automatically.

1. Normal stop/start, which can be disabled from the dashboard.
2. It turns the engine off when coasting at almost any speed, and re-starts it when power is needed. When this happens, the word "Coasting" is displayed on the dash, and revs drop to zero on the rev counter.

Bizarrely, if you disable normal stop/start, then as you slow down to a halt, the coasting function stops the engine, then when you come to a halt, it re-starts the engine !

I can disable the second engine turn-off function by selecting Sport mode. This prevents the engine from being turned off, I assume on the basis that you want power available immediately.

So I think my issue was caused by the 2nd function turning the engine off as I coasted, and then failing to re-start the engine when I wanted power again.

I will continue to monitor this.

Pete