GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bicycle Mounting Options

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
1654573113503.png

Curt hitch with a Bell bike rack, both from amazon. Excellent stuff for a great price. My friend went the seasucker route and within a week smashed his bike into the roof of his garage. Thats his mistake, but looking at his system and how it all worked I'd far prefer a trailer mount. I dont care if I can hand the statue of liberty off the suction cup, id still prefer a trailer hitch :ROFLMAO:

revvit

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6SPD
Torklift Stealth Eco Hitch 2'' plus Saris Freedom 2.

Yes, Stealth Eco Hitch is pretty expensive (it was around 400 at the time) and it takes some time to install, but it's not visible at all when not in use.

That was big point for me - I just don't like visible hitches on non truck/SUV vehicles, and preferred to stomach the high cost than feeling of regret every time I would look back at GTI and notice the hitch :D

I use it only for carrying bikes, and didn't have a single problem with it, it's very stable, fit and finish were great. Well, they better be for the price....

1654614251142.png

1654614281886.png

1654614310300.png

1654614347059.png

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Stealth Hitch is where it's at. Although I think for the Mk7, the Stealth and the EcoHitch were basically copies of each other. Stealth has already said they won't offer one for the Mk8 and EcoHitch just needs a slight adjustment to the 2" receiver to be about half an inch lower, the mount is obviously still the same.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
stealth hitch is definitely the best option, I just can't stomach the cost and complexity for something I will get such limited use out of.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
stealth hitch is definitely the best option, I just can't stomach the cost and complexity for something I will get such limited use out of.
I use mine once or twice a week, which also means that I'd rarely remove the actual "stealth" part, but it's still nice to have.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Torklift Stealth Eco Hitch 2'' plus Saris Freedom 2.

Yes, Stealth Eco Hitch is pretty expensive (it was around 400 at the time) and it takes some time to install, but it's not visible at all when not in use.

That was big point for me - I just don't like visible hitches on non truck/SUV vehicles, and preferred to stomach the high cost than feeling of regret every time I would look back at GTI and notice the hitch :D

I use it only for carrying bikes, and didn't have a single problem with it, it's very stable, fit and finish were great. Well, they better be for the price....

View attachment 251692

View attachment 251693

View attachment 251694

View attachment 251695

This is awesome. Love this option. Looking at them right now... you are not lying. Price for the Golf R is $558

Yikes

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
I chose an EcoHitch, model #X7310...

It's a little more involved than less expensive and easier-to-install hitches, particularly since the bumper skin has to come off and get a trim. But I like that it tucks a little higher, even if it's just an inch or two. Here are a few photos:

It sits higher than the lowest point of the car. I've never knocked it on a curb or bump; the muffler would take the hit far sooner...

[edit] My model is the 1.25" version. Two-inch models are more popular for hitch accessories and there's a 2-inch EcoHitch available for the GTI. However, I didn't choose it because it would sit a tad lower, maybe 3/4"? [/edit]
Whole bunch of these Ecohitches put on by shops or DIY on mk7s over the years. See E-trailers collection or youtube for more.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I just installed the Stealth Hitch on my GTI. The latch block wouldn’t fit without some sanding, I had to buy a 15/16 socket for the latch block bolts, and I didn’t have a dremel to trim the diffuser so I used shears. Other than these minor issues I love how hidden it is. I’m going to raise my rear suspenion a bit to compensate for the extra hitch and rack weight.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just installed the Stealth Hitch on my GTI. The latch block wouldn’t fit without some sanding, I had to buy a 15/16 socket for the latch block bolts, and I didn’t have a dremel to trim the diffuser so I used shears. Other than these minor issues I love how hidden it is. I’m going to raise my rear suspenion a bit to compensate for the extra hitch and rack weight.
I don't recall any of these install issues, but I was installing on a 2015, so maybe that's the difference. I did throw a set of the reverse rake pads in with my EMD springs to visually level things out a bit with the weight of the hitch, rack, and bike. I'm back on stock springs now and will probably put the pads back in for similar reasons. For some reason, my front springs sit higher than normal though haha.

If you'd like to read more about that drama, find the thread here: MK7 GTI DSG Factory Ride Height | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I picked up a used Ecohitch for my GTI, can anyone confirm if hardware is supplied when purchased new or you are supposed to reuse existing?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I don't recall any of these install issues, but I was installing on a 2015, so maybe that's the difference. I did throw a set of the reverse rake pads in with my EMD springs to visually level things out a bit with the weight of the hitch, rack, and bike. I'm back on stock springs now and will probably put the pads back in for similar reasons. For some reason, my front springs sit higher than normal though haha.

If you'd like to read more about that drama, find the thread here: MK7 GTI DSG Factory Ride Height | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum
Maybe one other option? Try finding used OEM Golf R springs, and just install the rears.

Just out of curiosity I installed R rear linear Eibach springs to my GTI with linear GTI Eibach kit, because they were available in my garage 😂. It completely transformed the balance of the car loaded and unloaded. Rear came up by 7-8mm. Rear feels much more supported in normal driving. I have a Westfalia hitch and carry a bike rack or a trailer here and there. The added spring rate helps against pitch due to tongue load as well.
31198541-05A7-4CCC-9F4D-D38EAFB6E82B.jpeg

88547B53-1000-403C-B0AE-5489D2B3D1E4.jpeg