GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Different driving modes

Yeahitsmike

Hello Everyone
I purchased my GTI MK8 a few weeks ago and hope you guys can help me with a question I have regarding the different modes you can select. When you select a mode, it gives you the option from choosing between eco, comfort, sport and custom mode. I’ve noticed that Drive or Sport mode can be accessed from each mode. What is the difference between leaving the car in comfort mode and switching to sport vs switching to the actual sport mode all together. Example: If I drive the car under comfort and I were to switch the car into sport mode by pulling down the DSG shifter. The car will display the sport mode is activated, but on the dashboard it shows the car is in comfort mode. It could be me but I feel the car runs a little quicker and sounds better in the actual sport mode.

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
As far as I know and I have this today on my Passat, the drive modes change quite a few variables, steering, suspension, dynamic lighting, etc. Whereas if you just flick the gearbox into Sport mode it just changes the gearbox variables, and nothing else, so it holds in gear longer helping you build up the revs.

Changing the Drive mode gives you the full sport experience, just changing the DSG mode gives you a half experience.

I normally travel in Normal/comfort mode, as that is the default in my car and I can’t be bothered changing it each time I start the car, and then if I need speed, for overtaking, joining motorways, etc. then I flick the DSG into sport for that occasion and once I’ve finished the manoeuvre and cruising normally again I flick the DSG back out of Sport mode.

Vansflyer

Hi, First post here so please be gentle with this old guy ;-)
I managed to find a new GTD with a great spec a month or so ago, a cancelled order as the original person gave up on the car after waiting a year for it... Pan roof, DCC, 19" wheels, etc..
Anyway..
As I am an old boring git I generally want to run in "Eco" mode to save fuel. When I start the car (having left it in Eco mode) it says it is in Eco on the dash but gear indicator shows "D". Change mode to "comfort, sport etc" and then back to Eco the gear indicator goes to "E" and the car seems to coast a lot more than in "D" mode. Seems to have the latest software and not spoken to the dealer yet but slightly confused with it.
Any Ideas?
Many thanks.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
That's a VAG issue, our SEAT Ateca (waiting on GTE, BW43 now -,-) does something similar. If we turn the car off in E/S, it restarts in D (as well as showing D in the dash) despite saying E on the selector. The gear indicator in the dashboard is your best clue.

We haven't figured it out, in the three years we had the car we dealt with it for a month or so, then just left it in drive. It's a bit different for us in terms of outcome since we have ACT (it's a 1.5 TSI DSG), it doesn't coast as much (though difference isn't that big) but it does turn off two cylinders on low throttle. We're basically not coasting anymore, i just try to coax the engine into ACT with a hint of throttle and reduce consumption that way.

Though i don't think that's an option for you, if i'm not mistaken the GTD doesn't have ACT. In which case you'd probably need to live with choosing drive mode every restart, or just throw your hands in the air and drive in D. :(