GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boys get your water pumps and thermostats

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Pump is cheap. How much for t Stat?
Current t stats are part # 06L121111P Cost on them is $278. So if you want one cost+10% and taxes is $330.26 $305.80 for the t stat and $24.46 in taxes. List on the t stats is $463.33 before taxes.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Just so you guys can see.

Attachments

• 20220819_175255.jpg
    20220819_175255.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
A thermostat is supposed to be $12, and changed in a service station parking lot.

We have lost our way.
It’s not 1980. Cars are smaller. Engines make way more horsepower per liter and meet far stricter emission standards all while getting far better fuel economy. And you had to change thermostats every 30,000 miles back then. If the water pump assembly doesn’t leak, do you ever need to change the thermostat?

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
It’s not 1980. Cars are smaller. Engines make way more horsepower per liter and meet far stricter emission standards all while getting far better fuel economy. And you had to change thermostats every 30,000 miles back then. If the water pump assembly doesn’t leak, do you ever need to change the thermostat?

Smaller than what? This car is not smaller than either MkIII I owned, or my RX-7 or MX-5 for that matter, and later versions of those cars got bigger by the generation too.

We definitely get WAY more performance and efficiency out of today's cars, no shit Sherlock. Explain why that necessitates the extreme over-complication and expense of otherwise simple parts that have a simple job to do? Does a complicated thermostat-water pump assembly regulate coolant temp any better than a compact one mounted where the coolant enters the block?

I think the design choices and compromises that get these outcomes could be done better. To what extent does that part contribute to the overall improvement of the design performance over previous, vs. the massively increased time and cost to replace it if it fails? Is a failure so unlikely that the improvement of the performance is worth it? Daks says every summer? Do they only pop off like clockwork in cars with heavy tuning?

This is true of all manufactured goods, but cars are complex enough that you see it all over the place.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Try changing the water pump and thermostat on a VR6. You kids have it good.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
My theory is Daks has investments in parts suppliers for the water pump and is trying to increase demand by claiming supply is limited. Prove I’m wrong. mk6'12gti is in on it too.

Last edited:

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Smaller than what? This car is not smaller than either MkIII I owned, or my RX-7 or MX-5 for that matter, and later versions of those cars got bigger by the generation too.

We definitely get WAY more performance and efficiency out of today's cars, no shit Sherlock. Explain why that necessitates the extreme over-complication and expense of otherwise simple parts that have a simple job to do? Does a complicated thermostat-water pump assembly regulate coolant temp any better than a compact one mounted where the coolant enters the block?

I think the design choices and compromises that get these outcomes could be done better. To what extent does that part contribute to the overall improvement of the design performance over previous, vs. the massively increased time and cost to replace it if it fails? Is a failure so unlikely that the improvement of the performance is worth it? Daks says every summer? Do they only pop off like clockwork in cars with heavy tuning?

This is true of all manufactured goods, but cars are complex enough that you see it all over the place.
Think of American cars from the 70's and early 80's. They wouldn't even fit in my garage now. That's what I was getting at and the related amount of space under the hood. Modern engines and especially turbocharges engines have more coolers, controllers and others that clutter the engine bay. There's only X amount of room for things like water pumps, alternators, etc. Transverse mounted engines and FWD make this worse. That's why thermostats are part of the water pump assembly. Space considerations.