GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear-View Mirror Casing Paint Ripple - DAMN, AGAIN?

VW Steve

Ready to race!
For the third time in nearly seven years, the paint job on right rear-view mirror casing has rippled. I've already had it replaced and painted twice before, and now I have to take care of it again??? And the most frustrating thing is, I don't know what keeps causing it and how I can prevent it. Someone please help! :mad:😢

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Pictures might help.

And maybe find a new shop to do your paint work.

VW Steve

Ready to race!
Pictures might help.

Okay, let me get a chacen to take some pics.

In the meantime . . .

My dealer did the first replacement of my mirror cap and a local shop where I live did the second. They can't BOTH be incompetent - there must be something in my mirror that's causing this!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
If they are repainting the mirror cap they yes it's something in that cap. New cap & new paint. Find the best body shop in your area to do the work.
this^

king1138

Go Kart Champion
It could be something related to where you park, as well. If there is a nearby high-reflective surface, it could focus sun energy and melt the paint and plastic. Are you consistently parking in the same place when this happens? It may also be dependent on time of year. Just a thought.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
It could be something related to where you park, as well. If there is a nearby high-reflective surface, it could focus sun energy and melt the paint and plastic. Are you consistently parking in the same place when this happens? It may also be dependent on time of year. Just a thought.
This is a possibility, gotta factor alot of things here

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Paint doesn't stick well to plastic, so adhesion promotor needs to be sprayed first. I would expect even a back yard painter to know that, so it's probably not the cause of the problem, but there can certainly be contaminents in the plastic that weren't cleaned up properly. The mirror will need to be striped down to the bare plastic and be properly cleaned.

Maybe your mirror heater is on the fritz and heats up your mirror more then it should. I don't know, it's a strange issue to keep having.

VW Steve

Ready to race!

Hmm, that could be a reason . . .

VW Steve

Ready to race!
Pictures might help.

Here's a picture. I finally got around to taking one.

As you can see, the cap is buckled where I circled it . . . but on the right, where the arrow is pointing, there is a nasty indentation that looks like a human fingerprint.

It can't be because of the body shop that redid it. The original cap ended up this condition and the second cap my dealer put on suffered the same fate. This is the third cap I've had on this mirror.

Attachments

• 0 DSCN0426.JPG
    0 DSCN0426.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 34

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Are your mirrors heated? If so maybe there is a short that is heating up?

Otherwise this could be, as previously speculated, a paint prep issue, or perhaps something is reflecting on the cap and is heating it up (window, glass, mirror of another car that is always parked near you, etc)...