GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello all

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Ima have to look at your build. I knew building an engine wouldn't be cheap but 7k for a built bottom end and head work with no aftermarket cams is pointless imo. I just figured comp cams would have them lol. Guess I'll leave the real power for my WS6 then. Just do some minor bolt ons to the GTI amd enjoy the mpg. Thanks for the advice
Lol... Bro, you've got much to learn and I can tell this must be your first VW. You don't need cams to make real power. With my current turbo, a hybrid, I'm making 584 whp in a car that had a curb weight of 2,972 pounds from the factory. The new turbo that I have will make over 700 whp and now that my car is gutted, it's going to weigh significantly less than its curb weight. Power to weight ratio is what keeps me killing these V8's.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Ima have to look at your build. I knew building an engine wouldn't be cheap but 7k for a built bottom end and head work with no aftermarket cams is pointless imo. I just figured comp cams would have them lol. Guess I'll leave the real power for my WS6 then. Just do some minor bolt ons to the GTI amd enjoy the mpg. Thanks for the advice
Why are you so dead set on cams? This ain't no pushrod engine where you can drop in a cam and make +100whp with a high idle. The stock cams are fine for this boosted application. Also, unlike your WS6, vastly increasing your GTI's HP will not cause a loss in MPGs.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
Yeah I recommend reading up on what's out there for the platform. Making power in these cars is all about making boost (i.e. with a bigger turbo), cooling that boost down (intercooler or meth), and supplying enough fuel to keep up with all the air you're pumping (fuel pumps and/or multi-port injection).

That said, if I had both a GTI and a healthy RWD car I would designate the other car as the drag car and let the GTI be the fun daily. For the GTI I'd get good tires, a good stage 1 tune, upgraded clutch, rear sway bar, have a taste of E85 if available, but stay stock turbo unless I lived at altitude. While our cars can do serious drag times with enough money into them, you have to compromise the daily ride with stiff rear springs and you'll probably still be slower than an LS-powered RWD car you put the same amount of money into.

Last edited:

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
Lol... Bro, you've got much to learn and I can tell this must be your first VW. You don't need cams to make real power. With my current turbo, a hybrid, I'm making 584 whp in a car that had a curb weight of 2,972 pounds from the factory. The new turbo that I have will make over 700 whp and now that my car is gutted, it's going to weigh significantly less than its curb weight. Power to weight ratio is what keeps me killing these V8's.
Don't need cams to make real power? Cams add power so no matter how much I turn it up on the turbo I'm still leaving power to be had. Seems like modding this car is like modding mustangs their solution is always turn the boost up

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
So a tune and full exhaust will gain over 100hp on these cars?
Yes. I gained 111hp when I flashed an OTS tune, with only a high flow DP. I later added bigger IC, charge pipes, exhaust, turbo inlet elbow, and colder plugs, and made even more.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
“Cams” don’t inherently make more power 😂😂

Getting a cam with higher profiles than stock allow the valves to open more and let more air and fuel into the chamber

more air, more fuel = bigger boom

Unfortunately With the e888.3 heads and having integral an integral exhaust manifold the flow is already pretty much maxed out when you go big turbo + big boost so the gain of forcing the valves to lift more just hasn’t been a path companies bothered to travel down yet on this platform. (I heard builtbythomas is working on one though) after heavy porting and the cam I’m sure you’ll see an extra 15hp. Lol.

My second car was a lt f-body… I still miss it very much, and I still own my other fbody (1970 camaro) as an ignored project lol.

F1CBC839-BB94-4FDA-9980-C1EDF3FA8155.jpeg
A533D50C-0524-42E3-95FE-390EBD87319D.jpeg
775737F0-5E65-42F0-8709-38D35E6F245D.jpeg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Interesting
Yeah, the nice thing with factory boosted cars and specifically VAG since they alway tune them super mild for what the turbos and especially the rest of the engines internals can actually handle (ford and others go aggressive with boost already and don’t over build the powertrain) you can gain an alarming amount of power from just simple bolt ons and software - and not overtax the internals like say a wrx lol

Last edited: