GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KESSEY Question

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Reading about how thieves can somewhat easily steal your car by intercepting the key fob to car signal when you use the remote to lock your car, what about if you always use the door handle touch pad? Seems to me, the thieves' devices cannot intercept the signal, if it even sends one. How does it work then, does the key fob use the rolling code from the last time you did use the key fob to lock the car? Does it still send a signal, but the thief with the interceptor device would need to be very close to your car, like sitting in the car next to yours?

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Reading about how thieves can somewhat easily steal your car by intercepting the key fob to car signal when you use the remote to lock your car, what about if you always use the door handle touch pad? Seems to me, the thieves' devices cannot intercept the signal, if it even sends one. How does it work then, does the key fob use the rolling code from the last time you did use the key fob to lock the car? Does it still send a signal, but the thief with the interceptor device would need to be very close to your car, like sitting in the car next to yours?
I think about this as well. Denver area is really bad for car thefts and I have a hard time leaving my car in a parking lot for any given amount of time. I’d thought about installing a kill switch somewhere just for added peace of mind.

It would seem to me that the key fob would still be emitting a signal when I use the door handle to lock, though I’m not sure about proximity or signal strength differences.

cb1111

Hand somebody your key and have them walk slowly towards your car as you try to unlock your door. I suspect that you'll find that the person needs to be within five or six feet of the car before your lock works. That is the rough range of your transmitter when it is at rest just asking "am I near my car?"

This is different from pressing the button on the fob, when the range should be 20 or 30 feet.

Unless there is reporting out there that I'm not familiar with, I think the most common car stolen this way in the US is Toyota.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion

avenali312

Autocross Champion
I wish I had Kessy. I'm ready to move onto something else haha.

My wife's new CR-V needs the key to be within like 2 feet of a door to do anything through touch.