GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I thought 17X9 would rub? My understanding was that 17X8 and 245/40R17 or so is the biggest we can run with no mods or spacers.
they'd be making the wheels so they fit. No need for spacers, that's the whole point of them scanning and building a prototype wheelset.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I thought 17X9 would rub? My understanding was that 17X8 and 245/40R17 or so is the biggest we can run with no mods or spacers.
Currently running 255-40-17 Nitto NT01’s on RSE 16’s 17x8.5 et45 for track
and
255-35-18 MPS4S on RSE 10’s 18x8.5 et45 for street

I am running -2.5 degrees of camber up front.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
they'd be making the wheels so they fit. No need for spacers, that's the whole point of them scanning and building a prototype wheelset.
Only so much can be done given how much space is available in the wheel well right?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Probably

I can fit 18x9 w/ 265/35/18 Bridgestone RE71Rs on all 4 corners
Without additional mods like a fender screw mod? I thought APEX is trying to figure out a wheel that can accommodate a 9 inch wide wheel without fender rolling or anything? They did say "...minimal additional modifications" in the community update. From what I remember reading, the widest is about 18X8.5 and about 245 width tires before it starts rubbing.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Without additional mods like a fender screw mod? I thought APEX is trying to figure out a wheel that can accommodate a 9 inch wide wheel without fender rolling or anything? They did say "...minimal additional modifications" in the community update. From what I remember reading, the widest is about 18X8.5 and about 245 width tires before it starts rubbing.

I had a slight rub on the front with 245-40-18 MPS4S on my RSE 10’s on stock suspension. Nothing serious. Overall tire diameter being a fraction to large when going through heavy compressions.

I have 255-35-18’s on the car without rubbing. I cannot speak to them fitting with a stock alignment, because I now have camber plates. If you are tracking your car, you need to add camber or you will kill the outer shoulder. I was wearing out the outside edge on track.
Overall wheel diameter And ride height also comes into play. I’m still at stock ride as I want to maintain full suspension travel and stuff the largest tire I can under the car. Aside from weight savings, it’s also one of the reasons why I run 17” wheels on track. And tires are cheaper in 17”.

Expectations are relative. I’d expect that an 8.5” wheel will likely fit with little to no mods. Likely just the fender screw mod, Depending on tire width. Going to a 255/265 tire will take a little more effort and camber to tuck under the outer fender. It all depends on what size tire you want to run and your application. Apex wheels are designed for the track and will be orientated for HPDE and Auto-X. They are great looking wheels and there will be many folks who will buy them just for the street without ever going on track. If you are stock, do you want to go wider than a 235/245 tire? If not then a 8.5” rim will get the job done.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Update time!

To start off, I would just like to thank the community for being incredibly patient with us during the development phase of our first VW project. When we initially committed to making wheels for the VW market, we did not fully account for the delays that have since occurred due to COVID. Arrangements for brake scans, test fitments, etc have all proven difficult to prioritize with the current situation, resulting in some setbacks over the last few months.

With that being said, our engineering team has been hard at work to ensure we are able to offer wheels that meet and exceed the needs and wants that have been voiced by the VW community thus far.

Now for the fun stuff!

As I mentioned in our last update, we were able to get some brake scans of the OEM Golf R caliper, as well as the popular Macan caliper upgrade that utilizes the OEM Golf R/PP GTI 340mm rotor. These scans were completed to ensure our 17” wheels are able to clear those brakes without any issues whatsoever. Our main focus at the moment is with our 17x9” wheel, as that has been one of the biggest pain points voiced by the track enthusiasts in the VW community. As we are finalizing the specs and details of this particular wheel, we wanted to reach out for some community feedback to ensure we are on the right track.

Currently, we are looking to offer a 17x9” with an offset of ET42 as our 17” track-focused fitment for the MK7 chassis. Originally, we were aiming for a higher ET45 offset for this wheel but ran into some spoke clearance issues with certain popular BBK’s, such as the Stoptech ST-40 355mm kit. With a lower offset of ET42, we are able to clear this kit, as well as just about every other popular OEM+ or aftermarket BBK that is able to fit under a 17” barrel. Lowering the offset to ET42 will also help clear the fuel filler neck on the rear of the GTI, which can come into contact with aggressive 255 compounds on higher offset (ET45) wheels. The main trade-off of going with a 17x9” ET42 over a 17x9” ET45 is going to be a slightly more aggressive fitment. Depending on the suspension setup and specific tire compounds used, this fitment will more than likely require some additional negative camber to fit without rubbing. Considering this fitment will be catered more towards the track guys, we figured it would be a non-issue for most.

The alternative would consist of offering a 17x9” ET45 that is able to clear most BBK’s (outside of the ST-40 355mm and the AP Racing 355mm kits) for a slightly less aggressive fitment. This would leave the option of using a 3mm front spacer to clear those particular kits, or a 3mm rear spacer to clear the fuel filler neck on the rear of the GTI. Considering most of our survey responses noted that they preferred a spacer-less fitment, we are leaning away from this option.

For those of you who would be considering a 17x9” wheel for your MK7, we would greatly appreciate any feedback, questions, comments, or concerns on this topic.

As for the more street-oriented crowd, don’t think we forgot about you!

While we are still working on finalizing our designs and finishes, we are planning to offer performance street and dual-duty fitments that will provide a complete direct-fit for those who prefer not to heavily modify their MK7. While this list is not officially set-in-stone, we are considering the following fitments to release along with our 17x9” ET42:

17x8.5” ET43
18x8.5” ET43
18x9” ET42

Once again, any feedback on these wheel specifications from the community would be greatly appreciated!

I hope everyone has a safe and fun 4th of July weekend!

-Geirsen

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Will the 17x9 et42 clear the AP Essex 355mm BBK?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Only concern I have is these cars aren't easy to add camber to, so there's some variation in where the wheel ends up. Strut tops vs CSS knuckles vs tts LCAs... Just something to consider!

One of the other common mods (that also gains some camber) is the superpro LCAs that add 1 degree of caster, which can cause some rubbing/clearance issues.

All that said, where there's a will for more grip... :D

Also, understanding covid throws a big effing wrench in manufacturing, approximately when do you expect to have availability if you can share?

(By the way, I'll be in possession of some CSS knuckles in a few weeks, let me know if it's helpful for me to scan the hardpoints on them. My car as scanned was bone stock on suspension.)

Last edited:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Looks like fitment for all the common use cases, stoked 18x9 et42 is still being considered 👌🏼

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Only concern I have is these cars aren't easy to add camber to, so there's some variation in where the wheel ends up. Strut tops vs CSS knuckles vs tts LCAs... Just something to consider!

One of the other common mods (that also gains some camber) is the superpro LCAs that add 1 degree of caster, which can cause some rubbing/clearance issues.

All that said, where there's a will for more grip... :D

Also, understanding covid throws a big effing wrench in manufacturing, approximately when do you expect to have availability if you can share?

(By the way, I'll be in possession of some CSS knuckles in a few weeks, let me know if it's helpful for me to scan the hardpoints on them. My car as scanned was bone stock on suspension.)

For reference , I’m running the 0018K SuperPro LCA. This gives me 8-degrees of caster. My street and track 255 tires fit without rubbing.
Currently running 255-40-17 Nitto NT01’s on RSE 16’s 17x8.5 et45 for track
and
255-35-18 MPS4S on RSE 10’s 18x8.5 et45 for street