GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1k oil change?

OLD MEN RULE

Go Kart Champion
I did my first oil change at <1K miles. I did it myself and very easy also oil filter and checked for metal flakes.
IMHO I'd NEVER go 10K miles on an oil change.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I just go with whatever the manufacturers/dealer recommend. I find a car expensive enough without extras.
I've just clocked 8,079 since new - 10,700 should see me through the first 12 months.

Been driving without, oil related, issues since 1979 - about a million miles overall.
In the UK, if you’re on VW’s time and distance service regime, the recommended service intervals during the first three years are 12 months or 9,300 miles, whichever occurs first.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-drivers/servicing/service-plans/service-schedules.html

9,300 miles seems an unusual figure, but it’s roughly the equivalent of 15,000 kilometres, so ties in with the service intervals of countries that measure distance in kilometres where the time and distance service interval is 12 months / 15,000 kms, whichever occurs first.

For cars over 3 years old, recommended time and distance service intervals are 12 months / 10,000 miles 🤨. Bizarre that it changes from 9,300 to 10,000 miles after 3 years.🤔

Last edited:

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
I,m having my first service in April 2023 car currently on 5100 miles and nearly a year old so I assume they will change the oil.

On a slightly different angle I had a BMW 330i which needed topping up with oil every 1000-1500 miles which was normal for the model.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I did my first oil change at <1K miles. I did it myself and very easy also oil filter and checked for metal flakes.
IMHO I'd NEVER go 10K miles on an oil change.
There’s no benefit to more frequent changes if you’re not tracking frequently. Blackstone analysis in countless cars shows the 10k mile interval is just fine.

I will also do my own change around 1k miles though. The early first change is just good for removing early debris. But after that, I’ll likely do 5k intervals if I’m tracking much and 10k if not. Plugs will be on a 10k mile interval once I’m tuned.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I,m having my first service in April 2023 car currently on 5100 miles and nearly a year old so I assume they will change the oil.

On a slightly different angle I had a BMW 330i which needed topping up with oil every 1000-1500 miles which was normal for the model.
My car’s on VW’s annual time and distance servicing regime and my annual mileage these days is around 4,500 miles. Annual time and distance services alternate between a minor (oil and filter change) service and a major (oil and filter change and inspection) service. So yes, your oil should be changed.

Most car manufacturers will state in their owner’s manuals that it’s normal for cars to use oil. I’ve very rarely had to add any oil between services in any of the 5 VW’s I’ve owned. With my current car (Polo GTI+), I’ve not had to top up the oil at all between services and my previous car only required one oil top up in the first year and no other top ups after that. I do always treat my cars with mechanical sympathy which is probably a factor in low / no oil consumption.

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a service plan , the service on the dash info says in 18500 miles service due ...mm.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
VW introduced the flexible servicing regime back in the mid 2000’s - from memory, the primary reason for doing so was to help businesses with fleets of vehicles ‘manage’ their servicing costs - fewer trips required back to the dealer for servicing, and reduction in overall servicing costs.

I personally don’t like the idea of a car’s engine oil and filter not being changed for up to two years. I know that oil technology has moved on over the years, but to me that still seems a very long time between oil and filter changes. As I tend to keep my car for at least 4-5 years (possibly longer), I prefer my car‘s engine to be treated to fresh engine oil and a new oil filter every year.

I might have a different view if I leased my car or returned it at the end of a three year PCP though - I’d be less concerned about not having annual oil / filter changes.

Maj.Woody

I just sold my Mk6. Best car I ever owned!

As I mentioned my current car is on a flexible service plan, and it is on a PCP - my first.
Previous VW Mk6, as mentioned, is still going strong at 12 years old, and has always been serviced in accordance with VW flexible regime - about every 18,000.
I always keep cars for about 8 - 9 years. It's only with VWs I used flexible servicing, others have been 12 month intervals.

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
SOS warning light has appeared now, guy at VW says its an update fix, will have it done when its in for a service in a few weeks.

orlinst

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine is also with the flexible interval which is 30 000 km or 2 years. Currently the car is 20 000 km and almost 2 years. I booked a service visit next week so it will be the first oil and filter change. It is time also for the first inspection. I used to to change the oil of my old car every 1 year/ 10 000 km and these 30 000 km look a lot to me.
Do you have any idea what's included in the first oil change visit besides the oil and the oil filter?

kromark

Hi all! I bought a new MK8 in November 2022 (1.5 96KW manual). Now it's May 2023 and my mileage is 10300 km. The VW app shows the next service is due in 19700 km/556 days (which would make it an incredibly long 30000 kilometers before the first service!). This sounds like too much for me. Does it make sense to change the oil and go for the first service at, say, 15000-17000 km, which allegedly would be in the beginning of September? Or should I rush to the workshop now? Will it affect the warranty if I do the earlier service at the official dealership? I've never had a brand new car before, and in all my previous cars, I changed the oil every 10,000 kilometers. When I owned a 1.3 turbo Daihatsu YRV, I even changed it every 6,000-7,000 kilometers. Thanks!

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
Good lord. 20k to 30k miles between change? Madness. Even 10k (US) is nuts. My opinion. 2 to 3 times that? No way in hell.

kromark

Good lord. 20k to 30k miles between change? Madness. Even 10k (US) is nuts. My opinion. 2 to 3 times that? No way in hell.
Well, I just want to keep the car in a good technical condition. It's not a magical machine, it's more or less ordinary 4-cylinders turbo engine, I live in Prague which is quite a polluted city, winter (below 0 temperatures, snow) is 7 months/year, I drive in a heavy traffic nearly every day, I can't imagine how the ordinary 4-cylinder turbo engine can handle it without changing oil every 10-15K kilometers. Maybe I'm wrong and there's some improvements in engineering which make it possible? My understanding also was that the flexible interval is more intended for the corporate fleet cars, and companies don't care much about technical condition of their cars, anyway they sell them after 50-60K kilometers?

Last edited:

CH47AV8R

Well, I just want to keep the car in a good technical condition. It's not a magical machine, it's more or less ordinary 4-cylinders turbo engine, I live in Prague which is quite a polluted city, winter (below 0 temperatures, snow) is 7 months/year, I drive in a heavy traffic nearly every day, I can't imagine how the ordinary 4-cylinder turbo engine can handle it without changing oil every 10-15K kilometers. Maybe I'm wrong and there's some improvements in engineering which make it possible?
Follow the intervals in the manual.
If you feel more often is warranted, by all means change it as frequently as will let you sleep better at night.
IMO using high quality oil that meets your engines specs and a quality filter is the most important aspect.