GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 Golf.....P0016 code being thrown, looking for advice on what Im looking at here....

cutchemist42

So Im the 2nd owner and past owner had not done any repairs related to the tensioner or chain that he knew of from what I remember from back then. Ran the OBDeleven and it produced the P0016.

Car's symptoms are really none beyond it takes an extra second of extended cranking to start. Otherwise the car drives just fine still.

From prior lurking here and on vortex, I've always read stories of p0016 resulting in non-starting conditions with very harsh rides and responses. In my example, the car is great beyond the extended start. I pulled these off OBDelevene but am not too skilled in interpreting them.

Thanks for any guidance about where to go next. Until then the car wont be used as a daily driver.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    935.5 KB · Views: 375
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    921.5 KB · Views: 313

cutchemist42

FWIW....thomas excovcds replied and suggested I should start with the oil control solenoid as he had something similar happen to a car.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
So Im the 2nd owner and past owner had not done any repairs related to the tensioner or chain that he knew of from what I remember from back then. Ran the OBDeleven and it produced the P0016.

Car's symptoms are really none beyond it takes an extra second of extended cranking to start. Otherwise the car drives just fine still.

From prior lurking here and on vortex, I've always read stories of p0016 resulting in non-starting conditions with very harsh rides and responses. In my example, the car is great beyond the extended start. I pulled these off OBDelevene but am not too skilled in interpreting them.

Thanks for any guidance about where to go next. Until then the car wont be used as a daily driver.
Sorry I missed seeing this post back in December.

First replace the cam position sensor, it is a Hall Effect sensor, whose magnetic sensitivity can degrade over time. Once you buy the sensor it takes about 10-15 minutes of your time to install.

Watch this Video

wazep

Sorry I missed seeing this post back in December.

First replace the cam position sensor, it is a Hall Effect sensor, whose magnetic sensitivity can degrade over time. Once you buy the sensor it takes about 10-15 minutes of your time to install.

Watch this Video

Thanks, i already done that but it makes no difference. Also if you just unplug cam position sensor, the engine runs same (pulsating and harsh) but no rattle sounds. Also to start the engine you need to hold start/stop button for starter to crank. And it only can be released when engine starts.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well anything related to the cam unless it's a sensor or electrical is not good but you would notice while driving the car. If you skipped a tooth or something due to a failed tensioner there would be no question there is a major problem. I.E. valves smacking pistons is a pretty violent situation. If the car is running OK I am with MLue that it's a sensor or electrical and not a mechanical failure.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks, i already done that but it makes no difference. Also if you just unplug cam position sensor, the engine runs same (pulsating and harsh) but no rattle sounds. Also to start the engine you need to hold start/stop button for starter to crank. And it only can be released when engine starts.
"Start/Stop Button" what year Golf do you have?

wazep

Actually, it's passat 2012 years, but the engine is the same, i can't find any information about this problem or people who already solved it... Mechanics nearby us told us that this is definetly chain, but first we will check the tensioner while removing only oper side cover and see if thain is loose and tensioner is out.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Actually, it's passat 2012 years, but the engine is the same, i can't find any information about this problem or people who already solved it... Mechanics nearby us told us that this is definetly chain, but first we will check the tensioner while removing only oper side cover and see if thain is loose and tensioner is out.
2.5 in the Passat ok.

I believe you can use Vag.com or OBD11 to check if the Chain stretch.

Is the transmission manual or automatic? I ask as the 2.5 engine can jump time if was done on the car and the engine was rotated backwards while it was left in gear.

wazep

2.5 in the Passat ok.

I believe you can use Vag.com or OBD11 to check if the Chain stretch.

Is the transmission manual or automatic? I ask as the 2.5 engine can jump time if was done on the car and the engine was rotated backwards while it was left in gear.
Hi, it is automatic. 2 electrics only found foult P0016. Nothing else. Car has about 100k miles on clock. Is it normal mileage for chain replace? I know that golfs have same engine so it's interesting how do they do?

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Failed timing chain is a rare case on 2.5. If it's not a sensor issues (cam, crank sensor) or even the variable intake cam solenoid, then it probably skip a tooth or stretched and that's why you have a correlation DTC

Never heard of a 2.5 that skipped a tooth because the engine rotated backwards, I thought that was a VR6 thing

Pretty much any timing chain work will require the removal of the transmission. If you really have a bad timing component, it's more cost and time effective to just replace the engine with a used one. It cost me 250$us for a CBUA with 38 000km and you can keep the old one parts (like the sensors, throttle body, etc). Sells them and the engine will pay for itself

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Failed timing chain is a rare case on 2.5. If it's not a sensor issues (cam, crank sensor) or even the variable intake cam solenoid, then it probably skip a tooth or stretched and that's why you have a correlation DTC.....

Never heard of a 2.5 that skipped a tooth because the engine rotated backwards, I thought that was a VR6 thing..
I've actually done it, if you rotate the 2.5 engine backwards even slightly, on restart you will hear the "chain thrashing noise" briefly, we were lucky everything remained in time.

I asked a couple of the VW Techs that I know what the noise was, it can happens on a few VW engines with manual transmissions, put it in neutral when you work on it.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hi, it is automatic. 2 electrics only found foult P0016. Nothing else. Car has about 100k miles on clock. Is it normal mileage for chain replace? I know that golfs have same engine so it's interesting how do they do?
If you had a low pressure oil event, ie. try to start the engine without oil after an oil change, that the only other situation where the tensioner may not have enough oil to work properly and jump time. This can happen with any engine with oil fed chain tensioners.

wazep

Hopefully we will see the problem when remove upper side case of chains. Is everything is worn down, it's probably cheaper to change the engine than the chains with tensioners and sliders only...

wazep

Hello, so now it's really intersting. We removed upper side case and the chain looks like new. All guides and tensionier looks good, within service limit.
Next up: crank position sensor testing, engine oil pressure control valve check.