GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 GTI dealer Trade in

Jay_Kitchens

So I brought my GTI to my local dealer to negotiate a trade in for a new 4runner. It is a 2015 in mint condition with 10,000 miles on the ticker. The number the dealer gave me for a trade seemed really low as they claimed it would be a hard car for them to sell and they recommended maybe bringing it to a local VW dealer and they would potentially buy it back and offer more than toyota would.

Has anyone ever done a transaction like that? Will a dealership just buy a car without you purchasing one from them? I thought about maybe trying carmax too. The toyota dealer said they couldn't go any higher than $20k for a loaded autobahn with premium bi-xenon light package and a second set of winter tires (Hakka r2's)mounted on decent sparco assetto garra matte black wheels.

Should I take the $20 and run?

dc22

Ready to race!
You can sell it to a dealer without buying a car from them.

My recommendations: 1) bring it to carmax and see what they offer you. 2) post for sale ads on here, vortex and craigslist.com.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Do your homework. Value your car on the several sources available on line; NADA, Kelly Book, etc. You are looking for the price for "sale by private party". I have used Auto Trader successfully numerous times to sell my cars. The most recent transaction was a 2011 GTI S with manual, 28,000 miles. I sold it for $16,800. Original list was under $24,000 new. Keep in mind that every dealer transaction has to be a profit point. If you sell your car on your own, you will eliminate most of that margin. Dealers expect to make much more on used cars than new ones.

Sure wish I would have known about your Autobahn before I bought my SE last month.

Jay_Kitchens

Do your homework. Value your car on the several sources available on line; NADA, Kelly Book, etc. You are looking for the price for "sale by private party". I have used Auto Trader successfully numerous times to sell my cars. The most recent transaction was a 2011 GTI S with manual, 28,000 miles. I sold it for $16,800. Original list was under $24,000 new. Keep in mind that every dealer transaction has to be a profit point. If you sell your car on your own, you will eliminate most of that margin. Dealers expect to make much more on used cars than new ones.

Sure wish I would have known about your Autobahn before I bought my SE last month.

I am trying but none of the resources like KBB and nada list the prices for 2015 yet. I still owe some money on it and trying to avoid selling it privately because not sure how that works if I don't have the title in hand.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
20K is a TERRIBLE deal at 10k miles.

If you had the base model... I'd say to push for more... but if you really need to sell it, then it's not too much of a loss.

For an Autobahn... they are trying to take you for a ride.

I believe, that if you don't have the title in hand...

You can either try to get the loan transferred to the new owner.

Or...

The new owner takes a loan out so that you can pay off your car and thus you're done.

Not sure if there is another way.

FURIOUSGTI

Banned
So I brought my GTI to my local dealer to negotiate a trade in for a new 4runner. It is a 2015 in mint condition with 10,000 miles on the ticker. The number the dealer gave me for a trade seemed really low as they claimed it would be a hard car for them to sell and they recommended maybe bringing it to a local VW dealer and they would potentially buy it back and offer more than toyota would.

Has anyone ever done a transaction like that? Will a dealership just buy a car without you purchasing one from them? I thought about maybe trying carmax too. The toyota dealer said they couldn't go any higher than $20k for a loaded autobahn with premium bi-xenon light package and a second set of winter tires (Hakka r2's)mounted on decent sparco assetto garra matte black wheels.

Should I take the $20 and run?
I sold my car CSG, DSG, Mk7 Autobahn with LP 4 doors with 15000 miles for 24500$. Then went to a different city and bought absolutely the same car with PP, LP and DCC.
BTW what is wrong with Touareg??? 4 Runner...really???

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Auto Blog has a value program. Looks like your private seller value should be over $27,000. Set your SP higher as used car buyers expect to negotiate.

Willywonka

Ready to race!
I just trading in my white manual mk7 se with no extras for a csg dsg se with no extras. I had 22000 miles on there car and owed $22000. They gave me $20500 for my trade in. I thought it was fair. They'll probably put it up for sale around $26000. The car was only msrp @ 30000

Jay_Kitchens

I just trading in my white manual mk7 se with no extras for a csg dsg se with no extras. I had 22000 miles on there car and owed $22000. They gave me $20500 for my trade in. I thought it was fair. They'll probably put it up for sale around $26000. The car was only msrp @ 30000
yeah so they are a few thousand off for mine then. I only paid $29k plus tax and title for it so I don't want to be too greedy but I know its worth more than $20k on a trade in.

Willywonka

Ready to race!
Yea I would think so being a autobahn with lighting package and only 10k on it. Do not think they really care about the second set of wheels. Ur better off just selling those.

enrique71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Guys, I traded in my SE manual transmission (stock - no PP or lighting) with 9,500 miles and the dealer gave me $25,500. Naturally they started at $19K, you know the game dealers play..

Jay_Kitchens

Guys, I traded in my SE manual transmission (stock - no PP or lighting) with 9,500 miles and the dealer gave me $25,500. Naturally they started at $19K, you know the game dealers play..

did you trade it in at a vw dealer? I know the game so I got up and walked out and they let me so I don't think they were going to budge much more on the price at the toyota dealer. Probably didnt help that I had true car pricing on the 4runner and was already under invoice by quite a bit on the truck price.