GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I know reviews on sites have to be taken with a grain of salt, but there's 5 reviews of them on EuroSports page and all give 5 stars and rave reviews. If you like the stock top hats, really all they're doing is replacing the metal mounts that the strut bolts too and they moved the hole to give more camber and caster. So you probably get a little more deflection than something like the GC camber plates, but sounds like with lowering springs, people are getting -2 camber with them with stock levels of NVH.

I'll let you know when I pick them up, I'm going to wait to make changes to the car until after the autocross season is over.

It’s a solid product and Eurosport is an OG in the VW scene. I track with the owners from time to time in SoCal, good guys, I learned about this product pre-production at Laguna Seca last year. Nothing but good things to say about them and this innovative product. They know suspension.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ohlins R & T with Vorshlag Camber/Caster Plates

So I have been running my Ohlin R&T’s on full soft on the street with my 450lb Swift springs all-round.

Compared to the stock shox, the ride is firm but compliant. The shock does a good job of controlling the spring. The springs do not feel overly stiff.
FYI, my previous setup was stock shocks with 034+ fixed camber plates.

DOT is in the process of repaving the highway between work and home. There is no additional NVH on the new surface with the Vorshlag plates compared to the 034+ fixed camber plates. On the ground concrete where they are preparing to repave; yes no question you can feel the direct connection that strut has with the Vorshlag top mount. Bridge expansion gaps are felt with a solid thud. Is it worse than stock. Yes. Is it super terrible. No. Not in my opinion anyway. It all depends on tolerance levels and what you prioritize. For me this is my daily driver and its my track car at the same time. I value and prioritize handling on track. As such I accept the compromises I have introduced to my car. On concrete highways, its no so much that you feel additional NVH, but have what I can describe as additional tire noise. There are some broken, cracked asphalt roads close to my home. These do transmit some additional noise. As to continual metal on metal noise. None!!! If you hear a knocking sound, you or your shop have not tightened the top nut correctly. That sound only comes from “play” in the system. Potholes, expansion joints, broken roads are more keenly felt for sure. On decent smooth surfaces, friends will not know you are running a full spherical camber plate. Compared to the 034+ camber plates, its hard to say. The Vorshlag plates are marginally noisier. But not by much.

Heck, I am about to install a pendulum mount and anticipate that will bump my NVH levels more than the camber plates.

I am going to increase the rebound settings on the Ohlins to halfway for shits and grins and see what the comfort level is like for my daily commute.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
This is where I wish I could ride in some of you cars on the street. When you say no discernable NVH I take that with a dumptrucks worth of salt.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
On good roads. No. And I stand by that.

Don’t cherry pick one statement in isolation.

I’m not claiming no NVH at all.

I’ve had the 034plus camber plates in for a year so I cannot compare to stock suspension because it has been too long for me to be able to make a comparison.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The ACNA DE at VIR has a few GTi entrants this weekend.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
hope you have a great time. Should be nice weather too. I'm planning on running the Charity Laps there next Friday. I'm making plans now for an HPDE next year, maybe some autoX too.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Yes, I’m looking forward to the weekend.

Only change has been the addition of the Ohlins R&Ts with 450lb Swift springs
Vorshlag camber/caster plate
SuperPro rear trailing arm bushes
SuperPro lower control arm inner and outer bushes

Should have better wheel control with the Ohlins. I’m interested to see how this setup will ride curbs or whether I will need to adjust my lines.
I’m going to try running higher starting pressures in my NT01’s
I’ve increased camber slightly both front and back to combat shoulder wear. Hopefully these adjustments are in the right direction to get the best out of my tires.

The rear bushing upgrades should help maintain geometry better under track loads.

My next project will be to fabricate some proper brake ducts to extend pad and rotor life.

I will keep you posted.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m going ease into it.

Get the driver warmed up and reacquainted with the track. Get a feel for the new suspension. Running the first session in the morning in 30-32F temps. It’s going to be an ice rink. Don’t know why they don’t send the instructor group out in the slickest conditions.

So pulled an oil sample this morning. Then checked the oil and was half a quart low. Topped the oil off.

Swopped pads out and bled my brakes at the track. Checked the oil. Now I’m half a quart to high. WTF!

Now I have to drain some oil before my session. Got to get a drain pan in the morning.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Running the first session in the morning in 30-32F temps. It’s going to be an ice rink. Don’t know why they don’t send the instructor group out in the slickest conditions.

I am surprised they don't. Here in California the ACNA runs 2 instructor groups and they are always the first out on track. It accomplishes a lot: familiarize ourselves with track conditions (and refamiliarize with the track itself) before heading out with a student, the conditions can be marginal with overnight dampness or a sun low on the horizon impairing visibility, and I will usually make sure that one of my students is in my right seat so I can use it as a demo ride.