GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
2019 GTI 6MT or DSG Stalling Issue

I'm starting to get very concerned there is a widespread issue with the 2019 GTI 6MT stalling. The issue presents itself slowing down to a stop, where the engine will soft stall and require restarting. Many owners with this problem also have brought up the same secondary issue where the transmission gear selection indicator will show the wrong gear selected.

Example of the soft stall of a 2019 GTI w/ DSG (
). User comments a throttle body adaptation solved his issue.

More examples of how the 6MT stalls

1. I've been tracking this for a few weeks now. I'm up to 100+ on Reddit, this post and the Rabbit Facebook group combined.
2. All members with the stalling issue have had it crop up at low mileage (500-1000 miles) with the engine turning off when the car comes up to a stop. Some have mentioned the car turns off softly, almost like how the auto start/stop will turn off an engine in a GTI with the DSG transmission. One member has had his car cut out at highway speed though with this problem, so it isn't limited to just low-speed stalls. No CELs are stored.
3. Most members with this problem have also identified another problem where the transmission gear selector indicator incorrectly states which gear the transmission is selecting. An example would be the transmission is physically in 4th, but the dash indicator states the gear is 2nd or 3rd.

At this time I would highly encourage owners of the 2019 VW GTI Rabbit with the 6MT or DSG experiencing this problem to do the following:

1. File a NHSTA complaint. This step is the most important since it will get the ball rolling for a formal recall and allow VWOA and dealers to properly root source this problem quickly. This issue is a safety one, we need this resolved before someone is hurt or worse. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

As of July 18, 2019 there over 135 complaints submitted to the NHTSA about stalling.

2. Open a case with VWOA, stating the problem.
3. Explaining to the dealer the problem you are encountering.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51246

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50116&page=5

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/b3bpks
https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/b2wv44/_/eiw0z4l
https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/avtohu/car_stalls_randomly_when_braking_one_dealer/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/amh7h0/golf_gti_mk75_stalling_coming_to_stop_with_clutch/

Update 6/27/2019

Currently None of the attempted fixes have been a cure for cars. ECM updates are seeing stalling return, 5w40 oil changes are seeing stalling return. VWoA has also been calling owners of effected cars asking about starting the buyback process. The more recent behind the scenes discussion that we've seen across the different GTI message board areas has been VW is aware but has no idea on what the cause is at this point.

Currently all 2019 GTI and GLI models are in the affected group, still heavily weighted against the 6MT, but some DSG models seem to get reports of stalling as well.

Update Aug 1, 2019

Buybacks are rolling out in force. Most models in for dealer repairs are getting forced buybacks. Not inspiring confidence for those of us who haven’t had stalling yet.

Update August 12, 2019

I personally filed an NHTSA Petition for Defect Investigation (https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=835026&postcount=1441)

Update 2020

VW Issues a Service Action 24FD (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169120-0001.pdf) which addresses stalling found on certain 2019 GTI/GLI models. Initial feedback from users across this forum, Reddit and Facebook is that its solving the problem. The NHTSA petition remains active, which with how slow the gears of government roll, may take a year or more to wrap up into the next phase.

Last edited:

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
+1... Urano Grey, and I'm at 2,400 miles and it's happened about 5 times (always at very low speeds while coming to a stop, clutch pressed in 100%). I have seen pictures of dealer reports on FB forums where the cars have been looked at and the results are inconclusive. They cannot find anything wrong.

I also have seen my gear indicator showing me the incorrect gear.

Last edited:

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
+1... I'm at 2,400 miles and it's happened about 5 times. I have seen pictures of dealer reports where the cars have been looked at and the results are inconclusive. They cannot find anything wrong.

What color?

Also any issues with the gear indicator?

Can you please file the NHTSA report for your VIN? We need to get these cases linked to a production order so VW can fault trace the part.

cb1111

When you file your complaint, please be very factual and keep it to the point.

"I was scared" or "I was afraid that I would be hit" just dilute the message. Don't say there are lot's of other complaints on the boards or reddit. That is editorial information that doesn't help. You can and should do what the OP has done here and urge others with the problem to report it.

Do state if it can be recreated reliably and anything that may affect that - for example "it only happens when the engine is warm/cold and when the outside temps are under 30"

Be careful with confining it to a color - the S isn't Urano gray.

You may want to include your build date. You can find that on the placard on your door jamb - it will be a month/year

AluminumStork

I am the S with 79 miles and having same issue. I’ll post vin tomorrow. My color is Dark Iron Blue Metallic.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
When you file your complaint, please be very factual and keep it to the point.

"I was scared" or "I was afraid that I would be hit" just dilute the message. Don't say there are lot's of other complaints on the boards or reddit. That is editorial information that doesn't help. You can and should do what the OP has done here and urge others with the problem to report it.

Do state if it can be recreated reliably and anything that may affect that - for example "it only happens when the engine is warm/cold and when the outside temps are under 30"

Be careful with confining it to a color - the S isn't Urano gray.

You may want to include your build date. You can find that on the placard on your door jamb - it will be a month/year

Up until today it was all concentrated to the Urano Grey models, which all had Oct/Nov 2018 build dates. The color from the batch production aligned with the build date for the Rabbit. I'm really curious what the S the other poster has in the other thread for a production date.

Given the secondary issue of the gear selection indicator, I wonder if the transmission sensor is sending the wrong data and the ECU is thinking the car is 0mph, clutch in or out and to prevent a stall kills the engine.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
I am the S with 79 miles and having same issue. I’ll post vin tomorrow. My color is Dark Iron Blue Metallic.

Look at the sticker at in the door jam of the drivers door near the rocker. It has the VIN as well as the build date. I think the date matters most on this since it sounds like some faulty part was used in these cars.

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
I will file the report tomorrow. I have also posted this thread in the 3 threads I have seen in the various MBQ and GTI Facebook forums where people with specifically 2019 GTI Rabbit editions are having this problem.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
I will file the report tomorrow. I have also posted this thread in the 3 threads I have seen in the various MBQ and GTI Facebook forums where people with specifically 2019 GTI Rabbit editions are having this problem.

Awesome, could you link me to those as well? I'll update the main post.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Looks like they are hidden from the way the Facebook group was made, but I requested to join. Probably won't put those in the main link since most people will see them as dead-end links.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Got added to the Rabbit facebook group. Two more confirmed new, one Blue and one white. The Grey link is still across the bulk of what I've found but we are out of that color range now. 11-12 count.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The odds that color has ANYTHING at all to do with this are exactly... zero. Don't try to make that point when complaining or they'll immediately dismiss you as off your rocker.

That said - sounds like a legit problem. Good luck with a (hopefully) quick fix from VWoA.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
The coincidence may have been a run of the same color cars thru the paint process that had some improper assembly issue like a wiring harness too tight for instances. It should not have anything to do with the color other than they tend to paint cars in batches whenever possible so these cars may have similar VINs.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
The odds that color has ANYTHING at all to do with this are exactly... zero. Don't try to make that point when complaining or they'll immediately dismiss you as off your rocker.

That said - sounds like a legit problem. Good luck with a (hopefully) quick fix from VWoA.

Color was batched, but VW will look at VIN and build date. It’s more to zero in on when these cars were built. The secondary issue with the gear indicator also being up is getting pretty weird.