GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
After rolling through all of the GTI and GLI complaints it’s like 2-3 vs 160+. If it’s a similar issue for both, the failure rate is fractional by comparison.

The suggestion was made in this thread that the dsg and ecu talk to each other and somehow might mitigate stalling by blipping the throttle. This doesnt seem like an engineered solution that is safe from future problems, and doesnt mitigate possible wear on the camshaft (if that post about oil weight and cam timing is true).

Let's let the facts roll out in due time. I don't think a sample size distribution analysis without a clear root cause is sufficient enough data to convey confidence in dsgs (masked problems are even worse as they cannot be predicted).

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
The suggestion was made in this thread that the dsg and ecu talk to each other and somehow might mitigate stalling by blipping the throttle. This doesnt seem like an engineered solution that is safe from future problems, and doesnt mitigate possible wear on the camshaft (if that post about oil weight and cam timing is true).

Let's let the facts roll out in due time. I don't think a sample size distribution analysis without a clear root cause is sufficient enough data to convey confidence in dsgs (masked problems are even worse as they cannot be predicted).

The camshaft isn’t getting worn out. The actuator doesn’t have enough oil to move. Huge difference. The actuator doesn’t even have to be operated for the engine components to work. It’s the lack of timing that’s the issue, not a camshaft seizing and failing through wear.

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
What I’ve kind figured out over the past 24hrs of playing around with it, is that if I put it in neutral and let the clutch out above 10mph, and brake to a stop, it rarely stalls. But if I get lower than say 5mph, and push the clutch in and go to neutral the engine consistently cuts out, clutch in or out.
Definitely not fun having to figure out a new way to drive a manual after 19 years.

What I’ve kind figured out over the past 24hrs of playing around with it, is that if I put it in neutral and let the clutch out above 10mph, and brake to a stop, it rarely stalls. But if I get lower than say 5mph, and push the clutch in and go to neutral the engine consistently cuts out, clutch in or out.
Definitely not fun having to figure out a new way to drive a manual after 19 years.
Do me a favor. Go pump brakes and clutch 15 times each and try to get it to stall.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Can’t really now, I’ve got a classroom of kids, but I was going to try some things this afternoon.

What is your thinking here; the more use the clutch and brakes get increases the likelihood of stalling?
Here's my thought process.

I had a few random stalls that I attributed to the clutch engagement point being noticeably lower in the 2019 than my 2018 and didn't think anything of it.

One day it stalled 9 or 10 times in a row coming to a stop. Clutch felt like it was catching mid stroke, so I pumped clutch and brake, car stopped stalling.

I have no idea how or why it would affect the stalling issue, but it did, so I'm just curious if someone with a consistently stalling car can replicate or if it was coincidental.

My car had rough idle, poor gas mileage and destroyed an o2 sensor due to running rich.

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's my thought process.

I had a few random stalls that I attributed to the clutch engagement point being noticeably lower in the 2019 than my 2018 and didn't think anything of it.

One day it stalled 9 or 10 times in a row coming to a stop. Clutch felt like it was catching mid stroke, so I pumped clutch and brake, car stopped stalling.

I have no idea how or why it would affect the stalling issue, but it did, so I'm just curious if someone with a consistently stalling car can replicate or if it was coincidental.

My car had rough idle, poor gas mileage and destroyed an o2 sensor due to running rich.

Okay cool. I’ll have some time to mess around this afternoon.
So I now have claims filed with VWofA and NHTSA, so just getting that documentation.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
So those of you with the stalling issue, have you found a way to drive so that it doesn’t? I mean it seems like keeping the revs above 1k is really the only way, which means keeping the clutch slightly engaged when at a light; just enough to keep the car from moving but not enough to have the gear engaged. (Not sure if I’m explaining that well at all.)
I am asking because I’m not getting the scan at the shop until next week, and I assume there won’t be a fix suddenly coming down the pipe. We can’t keep driving these cars like this where they randomly stall. So do we start trying to initiate a buyback, even though I would prefer a fix? Just trying to figure out what the options are.

that sounds too much like riding the clutch and that's the one thing that I am religiously avoiding at all times (I still suck at rev-matching, so I at least do what I can, heh)

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Good deal, thanks. I may push for that with the dealer, although from what I’ve gathered in research, a scan won’t show anything, so i’ll have to work on reproducing the issue.

Just go with whatever they will do. I also asked about this when my car was in the shop for the stalls, but they wouldn't touch the oil spec. They were only going to do what manufacturing suggested.

...it gets discussed here a lot. I'm of the "remove all doubts of potential warranty claim" line of argument, and so won't do anything if they don't get approval.

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
my 2019 dsg definitely isn't getting good mileage and wouldn't be surprised it if was running rich.

my 2019 dsg definitely isn't getting good mileage and wouldn't be surprised it if was running rich.
Have them reset all the adaptions.

If that doesn't work, go to a thicker oil and reset adaptions until they figure this all out.

You'll eventually kill the O2 sensor running rich and possibility the cats.

What is your highway mileage?

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Have them reset all the adaptions.

If that doesn't work, go to a thicker oil and reset adaptions until they figure this all out.

You'll eventually kill the O2 sensor running rich and possibility the cats.

What is your highway mileage?

Thanks. Ill try that. 27.5ish at 75mph with some hills.

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
that sounds too much like riding the clutch and that's the one thing that I am religiously avoiding at all times (I still suck at rev-matching, so I at least do what I can, heh)

Nah, not riding that clutch, I’d prefer not to burn that out before this gets resolved, but it is probably as close as one can get. Living in Houston, most everything is flat so I can generally just leave it in neutral. I did find this afternoon that if I approach the stop at a decent clip and then put it in neutral and brake to the stop it rarely stalled. Not a solution I know but glad to see I confirmed my suspicions from this morning.
I did try the brake and clutch pump thing but it didn’t seem to have an impact either way.