GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 v 2020

Philipj604

Car(s)
Golf GTi
Just about to buy a GTi in BC, Canada, what’s the differences between the 2019 and 2020 as they have a 2020 on the lot and are offering $3000 discount.

Philipj604

Car(s)
Golf GTi
Wow, first post on this forum and all I get is rudeness, what a nice welcome that is, thank you so much for you help!!!!
I have looked online and, as I mentioned in my post, I’m in Canada and can only find US specs as all the websites you mention are based in the US, and I know that there is a difference in US and Canadian spec, for instance the Autobahn is a specific mode here while it is an add-on pack in the US, so yes, asking a forum of people who own GTi’s and know them well was the easiest thing for someone who’s never owned one, well, it was the easiest until you decided to answer rudely!!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question but someone will if you give it some time. There's several Canadian members in the forum. Good luck.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Wow, first post on this forum and all I get is rudeness, what a nice welcome that is, thank you so much for you help!!!!
I have looked online and, as I mentioned in my post, I’m in Canada and can only find US specs as all the websites you mention are based in the US, and I know that there is a difference in US and Canadian spec, for instance the Autobahn is a specific mode here while it is an add-on pack in the US, so yes, asking a forum of people who own GTi’s and know them well was the easiest thing for someone who’s never owned one, well, it was the easiest until you decided to answer rudely!!

Welcome.

The problem with posting a question like this in forums is 1) the members here are predominantly from the US and Canadian models will have different specs and such. 2) the answers are closer to you with a Google search or call/visit to the dealer.

Dog Dad’s post wasn’t rude nor do I think that was his intention. To be fair, similar questions are asked often enough that he was simply giving you feedback to what is likely a more effective way of finding the answers - as BCGTI posted.

There is also a section dedicated to Canada and I probably would’ve posted there instead.

Last edited:

Philipj604

Car(s)
Golf GTi
Welcome.

The problem with posting a question like this in forums is 1) the members here are predominantly from the US and Canadian models will have different specs and such. 2) the answers are closer to you with a Google search or call/visit to the dealer.

Dog Dad’s post wasn’t rude nor do I think that was his intention. To be fair, similar questions are asked often enough that he was simply giving you feedback to what is likely a more effective way of finding the answers - as BCGTI posted.

There is also a section dedicated to Canada and I probably would’ve posted there instead.
New to the forum, didn’t know there was a Canada section, thank you, I’ll take a look.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
New to the forum, didn’t know there was a Canada section, thank you, I’ll take a look.

If you’re in the Lower Mainland, our resident dude in the loop, Clem reminds us about local meets :) Though, temps have dropped so much I doubt there will be any in 2020.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Welcome to the forum. From the US so I can't really help you with the choice but I'm sure you're going to love it either way. Good luck with your purchase!

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Philipj604, curious, did your dealer quote a discount on the 2019? I would guess it to be higher than $3000. I can't speak for the Canadian specs, but there's not much change from model year 2019 to 2020 in the US market. I'd call the mk7 GTI a pretty mature consumer product.

Philipj604

Car(s)
Golf GTi
Philipj604, curious, did your dealer quote a discount on the 2019? I would guess it to be higher than $3000. I can't speak for the Canadian specs, but there's not much change from model year 2019 to 2020 in the US market. I'd call the mk7 GTI a pretty mature consumer product.
Yes, he said he was giving a C$3000 discount

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Cool. OK so a $3000 discount for either a 2019 or 2020. Hmm, we are used to deeper discounts here in the states, especially if they have some stray 2019s still hanging around.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
is there a wtty difference? if not what is the $ difference. for me I would take $1K-1500 in pocket over newer model year. When selling it will be 1 yr older but lower miles for year.

fwiw 3 yrs on mine and love it

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Seems there's a $1,000 from VW. Is this that included in the $3,000? I don't know about Canada, but I've seen dealers say a discount is included in the purchase price, and of giving you, as an example, $3,000, when they should have gave you $4,000.

I looked on your VW of Canada website and didn't see any stated differences between a 2019 and 2020. They seems to have the same MSRP, so if that's the case it's a no brainer to buy the 2020 if it's equipped the way you want. And unless I'm missing something, the Autobahn in the US is also a separate "model", not an add-on package.