GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 FORMULA 1 SEASON

torga

Autocross Champion
Well jeez are all of you still sleeping?
I figured I would have for sure seen a bit of discussion already lol.

Sainz to Ferrari - Confirmed
Ricciardo to Mclaren - Confirmed
Vettel to ? - .........

If he does not just call it quits his options would be:
Mercedes (both HAM and BOT are not confirmed but likely they will be)
Red Bull (only VER confirmed)
Renault (obviously an open seat next to OCO)
HAAS (I don't think either MAG or GRO are confirmed)

I did not include any of the other teams because I would find it quite unlikely that he would make a move to any of them.
Maybe Williams? lol.
Man, if Steiner stays with MAG & GRO, he is a confirmed masochist. He's been threatening to fire them for like, 3 years.
I dunno if Vettel would want to go back to RBR. He left because a rookie was showing him up and now the rookie that started to show THAT rookie up would be his teammate. I don't think he likes that type of environment.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Yeah I don't think there is a much of a chance that he goes back to RedBull.
But there still is a possibility. I mean it just sort of happened to him again at Ferrari.
If he wants to drive a decent car again he may have to "settle".
It is not about money (supposedly) for him but he definitely seems to just want to be the #1 driver for whatever team.
I would honestly love to see him take GRO's spot at HAAS. But that is very wishful thinking.
I mean I'm sure any team would love to have him...

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
Man, if Steiner stays with MAG & GRO, he is a confirmed masochist. He's been threatening to fire them for like, 3 years.
I dunno if Vettel would want to go back to RBR. He left because a rookie was showing him up and now the rookie that started to show THAT rookie up would be his teammate. I don't think he likes that type of environment.
I don't think RBR want Vettel back either at this point. They certainly don't want to have to pay his kind of salary when they have Verstappen, Helmut said as much.

Honestly though, I don't know how Grosjean has survived in the sport as long as he has at this point... the whole penalty point system is in place because of him.

Yeah I don't think there is a much of a chance that he goes back to RedBull.
But there still is a possibility. I mean it just sort of happened to him again at Ferrari.
If he wants to drive a decent car again he may have to "settle".
It is not about money (supposedly) for him but he definitely seems to just want to be the #1 driver for whatever team.
I would honestly love to see him take GRO's spot at HAAS. But that is very wishful thinking.
I mean I'm sure any team would love to have him...

I honestly would no be surprised if Vettel just retired at the end of the season. Apparently Alonso has been in discussions with Renault about a possibility of coming back... again lol. But Vettel and Magnussen would be an interesting combo

torga

Autocross Champion
I honestly would no be surprised if Vettel just retired at the end of the season. Apparently Alonso has been in discussions with Renault about a possibility of coming back... again lol. But Vettel and Magnussen would be an interesting combo
I don't think Alonso would come back to F1 for anything less than one of the top 3 teams. He's always been very vocal about only wanting to race for a team that can give him another championship – Renault is absolutely not that team. He truly thought McLaren-Honda would be that team, but we all saw how that went.
Plus, it's not like he's desperate to get back in an F1 seat – he's having tons of fun racing whatever he wants at the moment. I think it's in his better interests to dedicate himself to mastering Indy. He's got a real chance at becoming only the second holder of the Triple Crown.
In fact, if he really gets lucky, he could stand alone at the top holding a "championship" Triple Crown, since he has not only won the Monaco GP and Le Mans, but holds F1 and WEC championship titles.

Last edited:

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
You're more than likely right about Alonso Torga. Just fun seeing the wild rumours about him that inevitably come up every year.

For all we know Renault could try and sign Grosjean to have an all Frenchman lineup, and Ferrari could try and place Mick Schumacker at Haas. I think now that these could of big moves have happened though, a lot of the rest won't start falling into place until after the season gets underway

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm wondering when Mick will get a chance. His surname alone all but guarantees him a seat somewhere when he's ready. Will he join the ranks of successful F1 lineage (Graham/Damon Hill, Keke/Nico Rosberg, Gilles/Jacques Villenueve), or will he ultimately be lackluster like Bruno Senna? Can't think of any others for the latter category - he's just the most glaring, compared to his father. I'm hoping Mick belongs in the former.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
I'm wondering when Mick will get a chance. His surname alone all but guarantees him a seat somewhere when he's ready. Will he join the ranks of successful F1 lineage (Graham/Damon Hill, Keke/Nico Rosberg, Gilles/Jacques Villenueve), or will he ultimately be lackluster like Bruno Senna? Can't think of any others for the latter category - he's just the most glaring, compared to his father. I'm hoping Mick belongs in the former.
I think Mick will get his chance but they should be patient. He's shown skill but could still use some development.

The only other I can think of in the latter is Piquet Jr - that crashgate affair was a travesty but I hardly put the blame on him. Definitely blighted his image though

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Most of you know I'm not the biggest Fezza fan - really coz of what I remember from the Schumacher/Barrichello era. But I saw/felt the Italian passion for life during a trip with my wife in 2018. I also prefer how they run their road car division to others (Lambo, Macca, AM...etc).

This new lineup will turn me their way when Lewis retires. And even before that, I'll cheer Charles and Carlos on (as I'm part Spanish, we're twins? haha).

torga

Autocross Champion

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
If I'm understanding this correctly, they aren't saying they'll quit F1 to do Indy, but instead to simultaneously manage two teams? To avoid laying off employees due to the $145m cap?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/14/ferrari-indycar/

Keep in mind, F1 isn’t the only one they race in, so I think they can do it. Also, they need F1 more than they think or admit to, so they can’t quit.

But with the cap, I guess theyll need to spend money to allow them to spend more money.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Keep in mind, F1 isn’t the only place they race in.

With the cap, I guess theyll need to spend money to allow them to spend more money.
Right, but they've long been the "fussy eaters" on the grid and have threatened to quit F1 more than once.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Right, but they've long been the "fussy eaters" on the grid and have threatened to quit F1 more than once.

My ninja edits aren’t as good as vbrad’s :(

Ferrari needs F1 more than they care to admit. And over the last couple of years, I’ve noticed change in their ways of thinking.

Probably Marchinnoe’s loss was the end of the old guard.

Last edited:

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
My ninja edits aren’t as good as vbrad’s :(

Ferrari needs F1 more than they care to admit. And over the last couple of years, I’ve noticed change in their ways of thinking.

Probably Marchinnoe’s loss was the end of the old guard.
Would tend to agree with you there.There's been a noticeable change since Binotto took over

If I'm understanding this correctly, they aren't saying they'll quit F1 to do Indy, but instead to simultaneously manage two teams? To avoid laying off employees due to the $145m cap?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/14/ferrari-indycar/
The Indy Car plan is definitely about avoiding having to lay off a ton of employees. Ferrari spends so far about that cap that, even with the exclusions for drivers and marketing, they are really going to have to trim down their F1 work force