GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI mk8

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Oh I didn't know that was a thing. I just checked it out and I like that. The X was available when I got my 7 but after seeing the price was like no thanks.
Yeah it seems like a great compromise. I'm also not about to shell out nearly $1k for a phone! Apple finally listened, crazy.
Acura has been lacking lately but I am excited about the the Type S concept. They need to put that CTR engine in more stuff and that would be a great place.
Used to be an all Honda/Acura family, I brought everyone to the dark side and now we're about to be all German turbo. Love Acura, but 2000s they were plagued with transmission/electronics problems. 2010s they should have put the turbo RDX engine into more in their lineup, especially the TSX/ILX. With the CTR they're coming back, I'm excited. There's a CTR with canards and a straight pipe in my neighborhood but he never wants to run, I'd expect to be gapped tho 🤣

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
I remember back in 07 when the new iPhone came out and it was all touch screen o_O. A friend of mine got one and I was very against the new technology. Now I wouldn't want a phone any other way. Apple removed the physical home button on the 7. How stupid I thought. I have a 7 and I don't miss the home button.

I am not an initial fan of this button less future but if it works well then I am sure people will grow to like it.

The difference between a touch screen phone and a touch screen in your car is you're not driving your phone. I can turn down or change the volume in my car using the knob without taking my eyes off the road which you won't be able to do with a touch screen slider.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I'll bet we will see an increase in steering wheel buttons. Looking back even a few years, that's sort of how things have flowed.

The new digital MFD dash clusters can show/do a ton of different things (looking at you Polar FIS!).

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The difference between a touch screen phone and a touch screen in your car is you're not driving your phone. I can turn down or change the volume in my car using the knob without taking my eyes off the road which you won't be able to do with a touch screen slider.

If it's a touch anywhere on the screen with 2 fingers and swipe down it could be! Swipe right to change the song. There are ways to make it easier.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
If it's a touch anywhere on the screen with 2 fingers and swipe down it could be! Swipe right to change the song. There are ways to make it easier.

That's not the way it is in the videos that I've seen. It's not programmed like a smartphone. In fact they are not even selling the car now because of software related problems.

ToddMS

Ready to race!
I'll bet we will see an increase in steering wheel buttons. Looking back even a few years, that's sort of how things have flowed.
That’s what I was thinking about reading these posts. I just got my new to me 18 Golf last week and already love the steering controls. I’m a big proponent for buttons and knobs and not a fan of having all the menus and hvac controls in the radio, but I don’t think I’ve touched the volume knob since I picked it up (I suppose that is partially due to my OCD about the power symbol).

GolNat

Autocross Champion
That's not the way it is in the videos that I've seen. It's not programmed like a smartphone. In fact they are not even selling the car now because of software related problems.

I wasn’t saying that’s how the new VW’s are just that there are ways to make it easier for the user.

Was watching this and lack of buttons came up. Along with no hand brakes, electronic steering and weight.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I wasn’t saying that’s how the new VW’s are just that there are ways to make it easier for the user.

Was watching this and lack of buttons came up. Along with no hand brakes, electronic steering and weight.

I hate those farking e-hand brakes. How's a fella supposed to do a hand brake turn?

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I hate those farking e-hand brakes. How's a fella supposed to do a hand brake turn?
What if we reach a future where a desirable mod is to upgrade the electronic parking brake locking mechanism so it locks the moment you pull it (as if hydraulic). Let's just go full circle

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Exactly. In an automatic I wouldn't mind but with a manual I'd prefer a hand brake.

Not true, actually holds up better than the goofy faux carbon in my Mk7.

I wasn't referring to how well it holds up. I was referring to the amount of finger prints it gathers. Yeah it looks nice when it's clean but as soon as it's touched it smudges.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I wasn't referring to how well it holds up. I was referring to the amount of finger prints it gathers. Yeah it looks nice when it's clean but as soon as it's touched it smudges.
Exactly. That's what I was responding to. The piano black actually stays looking cleaner, longer than the textured stuff. I keep a micofiber cloth in the center console and a quick wipedown leaves it looking clean longer than the older material, which somehow always looked smudged, even if it was freshly cleaned.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Guys, most respectfully (keep repeating that), you need to focus here: Engine, chassis, tranny, brakes, steering, seats. Way, way down the list of essentials, and arguably below aesthetics, comes toys and electronic devices. Volkswagen is trying to sell you a ton of gear for $30k-$40k. What's the alternative? (The clown car? Really?)

At my age, all I really care about is avoiding the plague and living long enough to own a TCR. Who needs a radio?