GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Sonata gets some cool tech

GolNat

Autocross Champion
People who like to see companies stepping their game up to keep everyone else on their toes.

Hyundai/Kia have been killing it lately.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Who the hell cares??

This is the subforum to discuss other car makes.

Participating in a thread is your choice.

Personally Hyundai/Kia has made HUGE leaps in the past 10 years and is starting to offer segment leading tech in their cars.

Their lane keep assist is a lane centering tech like Tesla and Cadillac.

Currently most car makes lane keep assist (including VW) makes the driver makes the car look like it’s being driven by a drunk person.

The tech with keyless entry being fed by your phone is pretty nifty tech.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
I think there are a bunch of people who really don't want a bunch of tech, prefer a base model car from a manufacturer that isn't in that part of the world. There are always going to be manufacturers who build to a cheap price point. The used car dealers love these Kleenex cars because they are sold to used car buyers with poor credit. Have you checked out resale value on Hyundai Kia's recently? I just remember them as ugly underpowered junk. I've had a few rental Hyundai as I travel a lot, couldn't wait to turn them in.....ugh!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I went and looked at a 2019 Sonata since they were offering so much off MSRP. It felt and smelled like I was at an Enterprise getting a cheap POS to rent while I was out of town. The salesman mention numerous time about the trunk release button(which is body color and hidden in the rear emblem) That was apparently the best TECH he could come up with... lol

I like the new one.... I just can't get over that parking light that runs all the way up the hood/fender area. Terrible

I also looked at the Tucson which has pretty good value for what options you can get. Panoramic roof, keyless, power tail gate, heated seat etc. But why dafuq did they get rid of the 1.6T and put an NA 2.4 in there that gets worse MPG?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I think there are a bunch of people who really don't want a bunch of tech, prefer a base model car from a manufacturer that isn't in that part of the world.

CSB

Don’t know if Ukraine is different but in the US and China, tech sells.

The market that wants stripper cars Is tiny here and is usually budget dependent.

It’s about the size of market that wants a 6MT Alltrack.

The rest of your comments are anectodal and peppered with bias, VW here in the US has a resale problem with the Jetta and Passat, literally 50%-60% off of MSRP in 2-3 years. I saw a 2016 Passat 1.8T w/ 42k miles for $11,500 the other day.

As far as sales Hyundai and Kia are kicking VWs ass in the USA. VW is still spitting out early 2000 sales numbers, it’s sad. Especially since 2011 VW states a target of 750k sales by 2020... lolololol. In the USA VW has been vying for last place with Mazda.

I drove a 2019 SantaFe Limited 2.0T over the summer and wholly hell it was so much nicer than the Atlas.

As I stated Hyundai and Kia are getting better exponentially with each generation, we haven’t seen this type of quality and growth since Lexus from 1990-2005.

It’s impressive, if you can’t see what Toyota engineers do (there is a story about them buying and tearing down two generations of Hyundai cars) it’s sad.

But hey, enjoy your VW. No one is threatening that.

I went and looked at a 2019 Sonata since they were offering so much off MSRP. It felt and smelled like I was at an Enterprise getting a cheap POS to rent while I was out of town. The salesman mention numerous time about the trunk release button(which is body color and hidden in the rear emblem) That was apparently the best TECH he could come up with... lol

I like the new one.... I just can't get over that parking light that runs all the way up the hood/fender area. Terrible

I also looked at the Tucson which has pretty good value for what options you can get. Panoramic roof, keyless, power tail gate, heated seat etc. But why dafuq did they get rid of the 1.6T and put an NA 2.4 in there that gets worse MPG?

2019 Sonata is old gen from 2014 IIRC, in Hyundai/Kia speak that’s a lifetime ago. Meanwhile the 2019 Passat is the same as the 2011 with a new nose and tail. ?

Not sure on the ditching of the 1.6T but they’re about to release a 300-300HP 2.5T.

It’s supposed to be coming in an N-Spec version.

The Tucson probably ditched the turbo because the price delta between the Santa Fe 2.4 and the Tucson 2.4 is tiny. Most buyers will pick a bigger car with more tech over a smaller car with a faster engine.

IIRC it’s only $4-$5k gap.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
It's still just a Hyundai or kia...

It is.

The Stinger is on par with what BMW has to offer (a key BMW guy did help develop it) and some people can't get over that it is a Hyundai/Kia. They still have to break through that stigma. Of all the BMW owners I know most of them bought it for the name not because it's "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I saw a "new" Stinger for sale recently and the guy said he needed the money or whatever. I felt bad because I'm sure the resale value is not good... lol

It is.

The Stinger is on par with what BMW has to offer (a key BMW guy did help develop it) and some people can't get over that it is a Hyundai/Kia. They still have to break through that stigma. Of all the BMW owners I know most of them bought it for the name not because it's "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I saw a "new" Stinger for sale recently and the guy said he needed the money or whatever. I felt bad because I'm sure the resale value is not good... lol

Probably not any better then any other luxury performance car. Best to get a slightly used one. I think the 100/10 warranty still applies to the Stinger. There are 2 people at work with Hyundai's that needed new engines. Both covered under warranty but still a PITA to deal with so I am not completely sold on their reliability. No car manufacture is perfect...well maybe Toyota lol

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Probably not any better then any other luxury performance car. Best to get a slightly used one. I think the 100/10 warranty still applies to the Stinger. There are 2 people at work with Hyundai's that needed new engines. Both covered under warranty but still a PITA to deal with so I am not completely sold on their reliability. No car manufacture is perfect...well maybe Toyota lol

TFL had a worst car list and most of the large sedans from BMW and Mercedes were on there, 70% loss of value in 5 years.

Yowsers.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
I had a FBO Veloster turbo and liked it a lot. I traded it in for my 18 SE. I would have got the N but they don't come with the DCT which I need because of making deliveries.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Hyundai and Kia have absolutely been doing a good job over the past few years. I’m still a diehard VAG fan but I recommend them to friends and family often.