GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 Formula 1 Season

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I figured that was a no brainer. I read that they left him out because they were actually reasonably positive that Perez would get a penalty from passing Bottas, because he went off the track a little bit. But the penalty never came.
That's possible, but Perez didn't run him off the track Bottas was driving his mirrors. You need to look where you want to go.

torga

Autocross Champion
That's possible, but Perez didn't run him off the track Bottas was driving his mirrors. You need to look where you want to go.
I meant Perez going off track. He apparently exceeded track limits during his overtake on Bottas. But nothing was done about it.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I meant Perez going off track. He apparently exceeded track limits during his overtake on Bottas. But nothing was done about it.

I misunderstood, thought somehow he forced Bottas off track. When I saw Bottas go so wide after the pass I figured somehow Perez was getting the blame for that. Totally missed him going over track limits.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Didn't Russell fill in for Ham last year because of Covid and kick ass?

Yeah, qualified second, fastest lap, and would have taken the win if Mercedes didn't screw up his pit. Could see it in the future, but I feel like it still might be a little too soon for Mercedes to pull him for next season. I don't think they'll drop Bottas before he leaves them. He hasn't really gotten the treatment he deserves for someone who has delivered in the past.

Them aside, I haven't picked a team to support, even after following the sport for a while. If VAG ends up not being a team next season, RB has a new fan, and not just because of Max. It's awesome seeing a team that essentially matches mercedes performance level, and can give them serious competition in terms of strategy. Max and Checo go extremely well together, even if it does end up being a Weber/Vettel pair like torga said.

Good race. Trophy is a big monkey. Worth it just for that.

monke.jpg

JC_451

Autocross Champion
At the end of the race they announce the driver of the day (based on fan poll) is Leclerc.

Then the announcer was like: Not sure what Gasly is going to say about these results 😂

Sucks for Gasly though, he had a pretty fast car from qualifying.

torga

Autocross Champion
What a snore fest, to be honest. The most fun of the entire race was hoping Checo would catch up to Bottas in time to pass.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
So did RB gain a fair bit of performance or are we just chalking the gap Max put on Lewis due to power unit performance at high altitude?

torga

Autocross Champion
So did RB gain a fair bit of performance or are we just chalking the gap Max put on Lewis due to power unit performance at high altitude?
Their new engine upgrade has to be a bigger factor, because there's no way Merc's PU department fucked up something as relatively simple as an elevation-compensating fuel map. The elevation at Red Bull Ring is no surprise to any of the teams and they surely cook up maps for every single track.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
RedBull are also continually upgrading their car while Merc have stopped development. They are fully focusing on '22. Although not much has been said recently but I think the winter rules changes have affected Merc (and by extension Aston Martin) more than RedBull. Or at least RB have been more aggressive in their development to circumvent the changes. And not to take anything away from Honda, they have done a great job

torga

Autocross Champion
Seems like either A, RBR have been able to nail the mechanical balance of their car better than Merc, allowing them run less wing. Or B, Verstappen can bring the best out of anything he drives, so his skill compensates. I'm leaning on A, however B is pretty true regardless.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
They show a metric about how much performance a driver gets out of the car in 3 categories, rated by percentage.

It shows that Verstappen is consistently pushing harder through the turns gaining more time there than he loses to the Merc on the straights.

It was strange that when Mercedes told Lewis to push it that's when he really started falling behind. This makes me think the Red Bull Honda does indeed have better balance since with the same tires Verstappen just absolutely ran away from Hamilton totally uncontested.

bentin

Autocross Champion
They show a metric about how much performance a driver gets out of the car in 3 categories, rated by percentage.

It shows that Verstappen is consistently pushing harder through the turns gaining more time there than he loses to the Merc on the straights.

It was strange that when Mercedes told Lewis to push it that's when he really started falling behind. This makes me think the Red Bull Honda does indeed have better balance since with the same tires Verstappen just absolutely ran away from Hamilton totally uncontested.
The RB was clearly better in all areas for the Styrian GP. It will be interesting to see if MB has any progress in two weeks at the same track.

hans611

Lost
Seems like either A, RBR have been able to nail the mechanical balance of their car better than Merc, allowing them run less wing. Or B, Verstappen can bring the best out of anything he drives, so his skill compensates. I'm leaning on A, however B is pretty true regardless.

Probably a bit of both