torga

Autocross Champion
Here's some more memes.

G I G A L O N S O

zpomdrl5jre71.jpg

wry1jzcphre71.jpg

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Are you kidding? Wolf just extended Bottas's contact to 2030 for his hitman ability to take out Hamilton's rivals and not even get a penalty!! #ALegendIsBorn

Where's that meme about "if taking out a competitor is only 10 seconds, it's only 190 seconds worth of penalties to take them all out"?

torga

Autocross Champion
BREAKING!!!

Alonso being called up to the Stewards.
b5navcvoyue71.jpg

hans611

Lost
The car was fucked, it was kind of hopeless..... I was wondering if they were planning on pulling an Ocon on hammy when he came around to lap him.... or else why is he out there lol

He did score some points (1-2 depending on Vettel's DSQ outcome), I guess every point counts.... and not only that, he never actually got lapped... he was the last finishing driver not to get lap, he was like 10s from being lapped though....

torga

Autocross Champion
The car was fucked, it was kind of hopeless..... I was wondering if they were planning on pulling an Ocon on hammy when he came around to lap him.... or else why is he out there lol

He did score some points (1-2 depending on Vettel's DSQ outcome), I guess every point counts.... and not only that, he never actually got lapped... he was the last finishing driver not to get lap, he was like 10s from being lapped though....
It's impressive just how much time is lost from that much heavy damage. Really puts it into perspective when drivers complain about a teeny, little chip of damage from light contact. Every bit of carbon on those cars has a specific purpose.

hans611

Lost
Oh yea, tiny little turning vanes and winglets can cost a couple of tenths... that's more than 10s over the race distance....
Apart from making you slower, it can ruin the car balance and wastes tires, etc... usually its a bigger problem than it seems.

Next years cars are gonna have a more bare bodywork, a step kinda like 2008 vs 2009..... hopefully less crap to fall off the cars.

torga

Autocross Champion
That, and the bodywork doing the brunt of the work in the next formula will be the floor, which is naturally much more protected from damage. I'm ready to say bye bye to these glass cannons with over-engineered aero.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
That, and the bodywork doing the brunt of the work in the next formula will be the floor, which is naturally much more protected from damage. I'm ready to say bye bye to these glass cannons with over-engineered aero.

TBF he's missing an entire wing set on one side of the car - if he was missing half of his front or rear wing we wouldn't be at all surprised at the slow pace.

It will be cool to see some more resilient cars next year. I only started watching last year and it's seemed to me like one small bump and that's it, out of contention... which is crazy considering how tight everyone is to each other at points.

torga

Autocross Champion
TBF he's missing an entire wing set on one side of the car - if he was missing half of his front or rear wing we wouldn't be at all surprised at the slow pace.

It will be cool to see some more resilient cars next year. I only started watching last year and it's seemed to me like one small bump and that's it, out of contention... which is crazy considering how tight everyone is to each other at points.
Sure, but these cars also can't follow. Even a healthy car with all its aero can't follow for very long, or it'll chew through tires. This formula is entirely too delicate. These aren't exact numbers, but a current car loses almost all its downforce when following a car within one second -- I seem to recall the number being 30-40% retained downforce. The new formula promises ~80% downforce retention if following within a second.

You picked a good time to start watching. Aside from the occasional miracle race, things have generally been pretty damn predictable since 2015. In the past few years, things have been gradually getting a bit more exciting and now ALL of this year so far, things have consistently been exciting.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Sure, but these cars also can't follow. Even a healthy car with all its aero can't follow for very long, or it'll chew through tires. This formula is entirely too delicate. These aren't exact numbers, but a current car loses almost all its downforce when following a car within one second -- I seem to recall the number being 30-40% retained downforce. The new formula promises ~80% downforce retention if following within a second.

You picked a good time to start watching. Aside from the occasional miracle race, things have generally been pretty damn predictable since 2015. In the past few years, things have been gradually getting a bit more exciting and now ALL of this year so far, things have consistently been exciting.

I just want to give some more math on the downforce bit because I really read up on it over the weekend and it's genuinely insane.

Currently, the cars lose 35% downforce within 65 feet (nose to nose) and that hikes up to around 47% within a car length (about 30 feet nose to nose).

Next gen cars lose 4% within 65 feet and only 18% within a car length. Insanity. It's going to be so easy to drive close together. Even if you still lose a little more grip as the cars approach, the run-ups you can get on another driver brings the competition to another level.

torga

Autocross Champion
I just want to give some more math on the downforce bit because I really read up on it over the weekend and it's genuinely insane.

Currently, the cars lose 35% downforce within 65 feet (nose to nose) and that hikes up to around 47% within a car length (about 30 feet nose to nose).

Next gen cars lose 4% within 65 feet and only 18% within a car length. Insanity. It's going to be so easy to drive close together. Even if you still lose a little more grip as the cars approach, the run-ups you can get on another driver brings the competition to another level.
Shake & Bake, baby

hans611

Lost
Yeah roughly 46% of downforce is lost when you are within 10m..... but with the new cars, they claim it will only be 18%...

The video below has more info... skip to 1:00 mark