GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 Formula 1 Season

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Yup. The one thing that can ruin any sport is arbitrary rulemaking. Just unbelievable how they manipulated that to ensure the Red Bull victory.

Wonder how big Michael Massey's check from Red Bull was?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Hopefully they were smart enough to pay cash cause Massey certainly wasn't smart enough to be subtle on his end.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Horner’s whining finally paid off. Pulling the lap cars was some serious bs. Oh well, guess the pride flag cost Lewis, F1 needs those rich cunts.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
It was the pulling of a select few of the lap cars that was the most serious BS. You don't pull just the ones in front of Max and immediately restart. It was such a manipulation and such a cheapening of a championship.

And that is why I hope Hamilton clinches in October next year. Take it out of the hands of the race director. Drivers should decide championships.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Not the first time we’ve seen erratic decisions from the stewards. I’m just happy this particular erratic decision went in favor of my preferred driver 😄

MAX MAX SUPER MAX!!!

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
84C32546-98B5-43D1-86C8-2F2F84C95867.jpeg

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
I get not being happy with the outcome if you’re a Lewis fan, but is a finish under a yellow flag really an end that you want after an exciting back and forth fight all season?

If you really want to take stewards/race control out of equation, put gravel traps in runoff areas instead of pavement. That way when passes like the first lap happen, the driver beat to the inside has to back off and not just make their own track on the painted pavement. That was not a lunge on Max’s part. I do fully agree that he pushed Lewis wide in a bs move in Brazil though.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I get not being happy with the outcome if you’re a Lewis fan, but is a finish under a yellow flag really an end that you want after an exciting back and forth fight all season?

So why didn't Masi red flag the race and give Lewis a free tire change? Ya know, like he did for Max last week AFTER Lewis gave up track position under the safety car to box.

At best, you have to question Michael Masi's judgement. At worst, you have to wonder if there isn't fraud.

Mercedes has filed two protests. Hopefully F1 has the balls to reverse the race decision, but of course they don't.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
So why didn't Masi red flag the race and give Lewis a free tire change? Ya know, like he did for Max last week AFTER Lewis gave up track position under the safety car to box.

At best, you have to question Michael Masi's judgement. At worst, you have to wonder if there isn't fraud.

Mercedes has filed two protests. Hopefully F1 has the balls to reverse the race decision, but of course they don't.

Why didn’t Hamiliton get a 5 place grid penalty for not slowing down for double yellows like Verstappen did the race before?

Why wasn’t Hamilton forced to give the place back to Verstappen after he completely cut the corner when Verstappen pushed him wide? Lewis pushed Verstappen wide last race and he had to give it back.

I too question Masi’s judgement in some of these instances, but to insinuate that he is on Red Bull’s payroll is ludicrous in my opinion.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
We used to have the Schumacher Chop, now we have the Verstappen Shove. Not impressed with Verstappen's driving for years now, and even less so Horners whining. It's even worse than Hamiltons. Yes, I was rooting for LH, but I don't think it was right how it ended, the situation I mean, even if LH lost with a good pass that would have been fine.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
While the race was happening, I was hoping this would happen because I didn’t think they’d get back underway in time and finish under yellow. The race last week was red flagged because a wall had to get fixed which is pretty standard though I’d agree the red should’ve been deployed right away.

while the way it worked out was favorable for verstappen, he still had to make a pass without DRS in the course of 1 lap. To say the title was “handed” to Max is a bit much in my opinion

torga

Autocross Champion
Sergio Perez is pretty bad ass.
Trump told Mexico to pay for a wall and Carlos Slim said "oh I'll pay for a wall, all right".
Checo fully deserved DOTD. I think it's silly they gave it to Kimi, especially knowing that he likely doesn't give a shit about it. Great driving from Checo. Max is gonna have to cover his bar tab for the entire winter break.

This race was a mess. Mercedes made bonehead pit calls all race. Could not believe they weren't changing his tires after those hards. Meanwhile, RBR as a whole had a perfect race -- all the right moves and with a bit of luck dashed in. Max's passes were all clean and fair; yes, even the lunge. Lewis left the door open. It was a small door, but it was perfectly Max-sized. Great driving from both of them today.

I'm glad that Lewis doesn't want Merc to keep challenging this result. Y'know what would be cheaper than winning a championship thanks to a race director's call? Winning a championship in court. Lewis is a class act and he wants to win his 8th title for himself. I can't wait to see how him and Merc tackle this next year -- hopefully Russell ends up being a star teammate (or hell, even a thorny teammate like Rosberg). Still want Hammy to succeed.

Overall, my take is Lewis deserved the race win, but Max deserved the championship win.

Last edited:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Y'know what would be cheaper than winning a championship thanks to a race director's call? Winning a championship in court. Lewis is a class act and he wants to win his 8th title for himself. I can't wait to see how him and Merc tackle this next year -- hopefully Russell ends up being a star teammate (or hell, even a thorny teammate like Rosberg). Still want Hammy to succeed.

Overall, my take is Lewis deserved the race win, but Max deserved the championship win.

Agreed 100%. Great post.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
After digesting this for a day I'm still not sure how to feel.
I appreciate the fact that they were "allowed" to race. But the circumstances were just...well, I don't know.
I don't have a vested interest in either Max or Lewis, never really been a fan of either TBH, so my opinions are totally non-bias.
Did Massi "break" the rules? Not so sure. At the end of the day aren't the rules there as a guideline for decisions to me made?
I know for a fact that Lewis has benefited from decisions made off of the track.
I would have hated for the race to end under yellow.
Did Max have a clear advantage? Absolutely. But a lot of racing is being at the right place at the right time, and Max happened to find himself in the right place at the right time.
RedBull make all the right calls in my opinion. And if this had gone the other way, I would say the same exact thing about Lewis/Merc.
Of course the Lewis fans feel shafted, but I wonder how they'd be feeling had the situation bee reversed.
I have a feeling they would find a way to justify it.
I'm still not saying it was "right", but at the end of the day it sometimes takes more than just being the guy in front to win a race...

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Crazy, crazy drama. I woke up late and turned on the TV maybe a lap or two into the safety car.

Given that unlapping is something that normally happens under a SC, I felt like race control was simply handing Lewis the championship after what would normally be a smart move by RB to pit and put on Softs. Then the decision by Masi to allow the cars in between Lewis and Max to unlap was cool, but waiting that late to allow it and only making it the five cars was a bad call. IMO they should have allowed unlapping pretty much from the start of the safety car, and certainly once they realized Latifi was okay.