GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

torga

Autocross Champion
:armchair engineer sits down:

New floor for Merc, curious if that attached 'flap' "moves" with a certain amount of air pressure against it.

My guess is no, as I'm fairly certain there are regs against certain types of active aero and how much aero elements can flex. I forget who, but a couple years ago, someone was getting in trouble for a front wing that flexed a little too much -- I wanna say it was RBR or Ferrari.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Oh I'm aware there are limitations regarding movement and flex. I imagine you've seen how much the front wing flaps move on these cars, I don't think its unrealistic for that part to move/flex enough to make a difference in the floors performance.

That being said, I am probably wrong lol. It could be doing the exact opposite, reinforcing that section of the floor to keep it from moving too much. I've read multiple sources that state Toto/Merc has specifically been against stiffening the floor as that's a band-aid to understanding their overall concept. Maybe they caved for the sake of not falling too far behind. 🤷

Dents27

Go Kart Champion

torga

Autocross Champion

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I think the green redbulls are fuggin hilarious.

Apparently Aston has shown the FIA models and CAD data of this design in the wind tunnel as of last November. Talk about convergence of concepts. lol

hans611

Lost
I think the green redbulls are fuggin hilarious.

Apparently Aston has shown the FIA models and CAD data of this design in the wind tunnel as of last November. Talk about convergence of concepts. lol

They probably had some very early version that is close enough to the basic principle that passes the FIA smell test, they came prepared (new rules after their pink mercedes)... but obviously this is a blatant copy....

Red Bull said they also came up with the Mercedes no side pod and decided against it early on...
So its safe to assume all the teams had a basic idea of the the big concepts but clearly AM has noticed their mistake and decided to course correct in the quickest way possible...

That is grab some old CAD they had that is similar enough for the FIA to be happy and have their engineers buy some really nice pics of the red bull to reverse engineer...
I just heard in a podcast or something that the teams' shirts and pants themselves have set measured points in them, so they can stand next to cars and be pictured, and then later get precise dimensions of the other teams cars using software.....

torga

Autocross Champion
I just heard in a podcast or something that the teams' shirts and pants themselves have set measured points in them, so they can stand next to cars and be pictured, and then later get precise dimensions of the other teams cars using software.....

Now that is crafty.

"Ay, what size shirt does Ben wear? Somebody buy a team shirt in L from the RBR merch shop, we got some measuring to do."

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
They probably had some very early version that is close enough to the basic principle that passes the FIA smell test, they came prepared (new rules after their pink mercedes)... but obviously this is a blatant copy....

Red Bull said they also came up with the Mercedes no side pod and decided against it early on...
So its safe to assume all the teams had a basic idea of the the big concepts but clearly AM has noticed their mistake and decided to course correct in the quickest way possible...

That is grab some old CAD they had that is similar enough for the FIA to be happy and have their engineers buy some really nice pics of the red bull to reverse engineer...

The truth is somewhere in the middle of that all. Do I think they pulled a Racing Point pink merc? Not quite, but it's close enough to say "Damn Papa Stroll, copying the other kid's homework again?".

I've never heard about the clothes and using them as measuring points, that is wild...... but believable.

torga

Autocross Champion
Good quali. A certain someone got robbed, poor boy. Great laps from the Ferraris, loved that full helmet cam lap we got from Sainz.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Interesting race. RB 1-2, Ferrari looks to have gotten on top of their tire wear issues, but DNF for Ssssharles LeClerc. Merc looked to have sorted out the bouncing, now they need to get to the end of a race without nursing a heat or powertrain issue.

If Merc can close the pace gap, especially over the summer break, I'd like to think (fingers crossed) the end of the year might get real interesting.

torga

Autocross Champion
Interesting race. RB 1-2, Ferrari looks to have gotten on top of their tire wear issues, but DNF for Ssssharles LeClerc. Merc looked to have sorted out the bouncing, now they need to get to the end of a race without nursing a heat or powertrain issue.

If Merc can close the pace gap, especially over the summer break, I'd like to think (fingers crossed) the end of the year might get real interesting.

3-way title fight, a boy can dream! Huge bummer for Chuck, he had incredible pace coupled with Verstappen's error -- was free and clear. Both Sainz and Hamilton did a great job with damage limitation.