GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

swcrow

Autocross Champion
holy expensive.....trying to get tickets to turn 18 in Austin and they're like $900/ticket. ouch.

sidenote......almost caught up to this season, so behind in some information, but what do drivers do when they can't find a seat for the following season and contract runs out? They don't just slide into a principle spot, so I honestly want to know.....do they just go do something else or stay in the F1 world as consultant? Not everyone retires like Haas' Grosjean.....

torga

Autocross Champion
I don't think there's any one right answer for your question, it all depends on your connections and y'know, drive/will. Some stay on as reserve drivers, some move over to other disciplines, some become consultants or ambassadors, some become sportscasters. Like Grosjean, he didn't retire from racing, he only retired from F1 -- he races Indy cars now. I read that Raikkonen will race in NASCAR (again) soon. And Alonso stayed busy in his couple years off from F1. He raced in WEC -- won 24H of Le Mans twice and the WEC championship once. He raced in Indy a couple times, raced in IMSA and won the Daytona 500, he tried his hand at Dakkar. Many of them keep on racing, just in different cars.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I just go with the flow. If people chat before I get here and are using spoiler filters, I continue to do so. But I suppose you're right, you have to come here and read things on purpose. It's not like a news algorithm popping something to toe top of your feed and ruining a race result surprise.

Sainz did a very good job sticking to Max, but unfortunately was never close enough coming out of the hairpin leading into the main straight.
This is the closest I could find that showed the sector breakdowns between Sainz and Max over multiple laps; Ferrari makes up the time in S1, and like you said, S3 Max is gone. Probably using full energy deployment.

The problem is Horner knows that whatever the FIA decides will benefit others more than themselves. RB probably has the proposing best under control. I have a feeling Ferrari stands to lose the most with how much and consistently that car bounces. Merc has said they've resolved the actual aero porposing, but the bouncing is still there due to other factors/unknowns.

torga

Autocross Champion
You're really plugged in with regards to charts/data, thanks for posting these.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
I don't think there's any one right answer for your question, it all depends on your connections and y'know, drive/will. Some stay on as reserve drivers, some move over to other disciplines, some become consultants or ambassadors, some become sportscasters. Like Grosjean, he didn't retire from racing, he only retired from F1 -- he races Indy cars now. I read that Raikkonen will race in NASCAR (again) soon. And Alonso stayed busy in his couple years off from F1. He raced in WEC -- won 24H of Le Mans twice and the WEC championship once. He raced in Indy a couple times, raced in IMSA and won the Daytona 500, he tried his hand at Dakkar. Many of them keep on racing, just in different cars.
Excellent response....thanks! My wife and I were talking about it last night after finishing season 3. Good to know Grosjean is still racing and I had forgotten about just switching types of races. Dakkar especially....

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
holy expensive.....trying to get tickets to turn 18 in Austin and they're like $900/ticket. ouch.

sidenote......almost caught up to this season, so behind in some information, but what do drivers do when they can't find a seat for the following season and contract runs out? They don't just slide into a principle spot, so I honestly want to know.....do they just go do something else or stay in the F1 world as consultant? Not everyone retires like Haas' Grosjean.....
Go to Canada. It's more fun and (usually) better weather. IIRC, I paid $700ish total for a pair of 3-day passes looking right across the grid at Mercedes' garage in 2017.

View attachment DSC_1267.JPG

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Go to Canada. It's more fun and (usually) better weather. IIRC, I paid $700ish total for a pair of 3-day passes looking right across the grid at Mercedes' garage in 2017.

View attachment 253107
no.....way......that's awesome! I'll look into the Canada track and timing....thanks for the heads up! Passport usage is much better for that price

torga

Autocross Champion
Figures 31 and 32 practically say it all, in layman's terms. Great visual. The engineers did a great job on this. Sure, they're a bit slower across a whole lap, but it's still the fastest circuit racing out there and we get a lot more action now.

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Figures 31 and 32 practically say it all, in layman's terms. Great visual. The engineers did a great job on this. Sure, they're a bit slower across a whole lap, but it's still the fastest circuit racing out there and we get a lot more action now.
Give it to 2024 and they will be so much faster than 2021 regs

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Mercedes strategy this weekend:

Hope one Ferrari and one Red Bull DNF.

Take a podium place (3rd obviously)

Talk about making progress.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Something something, to finish first, first you must finish... Too many championships are lost due to reliability/team calls. Ferrari might be a good example is they keep it up.

Mercs has definitely lucked out with the both Ferrari and RB having problems with at least one of their cars; they say more upgrades this weekend, maybe they found their magic bullet to unlock that missing one second of pace. /s

torga

Autocross Champion
Some historical Silverstone highlights to help us miss the thunder and roar.

Edit: Forgot FOM has a stick up their ass. This is a highlight reel of the 2003 British GP, just follow the link and watch on YT.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Some historical Silverstone highlights to help us miss the thunder and roar.

Edit: Forgot FOM has a stick up their ass. This is a highlight reel of the 2003 British GP, just follow the link and watch on YT.
Oh how I wish we could get back to 900-1000hp 'go-karts' screaming to 19k+ rpm. I love me some early 2000s F1.

I legitimately hate that they do that with their YT videos.