GOLFMKV

3 car seats in the back of a MK7.5 (2018) GTI...how

Minivan is not an option

• Agreed, but harder

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Revisiting this now that the baby outgrew the Chicco keyfit 30, but still needs to be rear facing*

Tried the Diono Radian 3RX installed in the middle rear seat, and its way too wobbly after tightening everything. Next we moved it to one of the sides (where the width becomes a slight concern, but we can deal with that). Now in that spot, due to its height, the passenger seat is very far forward. This sucks.

Switched to a Graco Contender 65, and while less wobbly, now the sides of the "Base" cover where the other 2 kids need to get their hands to buckle in.

Current options are try a 3rd (narrow) new seat or extensions for the 2 booster seat buckles (really not a fan of that idea). Stay tuned.

*Both seats mentioned will fit fine when the baby's seat can be forward facing.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Revisiting this now that the baby outgrew the Chicco keyfit 30, but still needs to be rear facing*

Tried the Diono Radian 3RX installed in the middle rear seat, and its way too wobbly after tightening everything. Next we moved it to one of the sides (where the width becomes a slight concern, but we can deal with that). Now in that spot, due to its height, the passenger seat is very far forward. This sucks.

Switched to a Graco Contender 65, and while less wobbly, now the sides of the "Base" cover where the other 2 kids need to get their hands to buckle in.

Current options are try a 3rd (narrow) new seat or extensions for the 2 booster seat buckles (really not a fan of that idea). Stay tuned.

*Both seats mentioned will fit fine when the baby's seat can be forward facing.

Anyone know if the lower seat base is flatter on a standard golf vs GTI? They simply clip into place (no tools required) and since nobody else would ever seek out base model seats it could be an inexpensive solution

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Following this....as I know I couldn't get three Dionos across in a (bigger) Dodge Charger or my new Arteon....so I'm not sure how you'll get 3 across in a GTI.
Hell even the sales manager at the dealer said he couldn't get 3 across in his Atlas CrossSport (which is a lot bigger). Not sure what seats he was using though, but still.

Side note....I'm not sure how old your "baby" is, but I kept using the Chicco Keyfit30 until they TRULY outgrew it. I'd just leave the carrier in the base and then take them in/out like a regular rear facing seat. Then I put them forward facing after that (with all 3 of my kids), as they were around 2 years old.
I never ran a rear facing seat, as it would be cramped for the child (no room for their legs to go anywhere)....they wouldn't be in that seat for long, and then it also ate up so much interior space.
Just sayin'

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I use a Diono, but only forward facing, their setup for rear facing is stupid. We used the Chicco Keyfit 30 for that. I have fit two Raniers in the center and behind the pax, and still carried an adult (uncomfortably) behind the driver. I don't think you'd have any trouble running three forward facing Diono wide in a GTI.

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Yeah, I use a Diono, but only forward facing, their setup for rear facing is stupid. We used the Chicco Keyfit 30 for that. I have fit two Raniers in the center and behind the pax, and still carried an adult (uncomfortably) behind the driver. I don't think you'd have any trouble running three forward facing Diono wide in a GTI.
I wish I could do that because I agree. The problem is the baby is too big for the chicco and too small to be forward facing, the next ~8 months will be a pain it looks like.

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Side note....I'm not sure how old your "baby" is, but I kept using the Chicco Keyfit30 until they TRULY outgrew it. I'd just leave the carrier in the base and then take them in/out like a regular rear facing seat. Then I put them forward facing after that (with all 3 of my kids), as they were around 2 years old.
I never ran a rear facing seat, as it would be cramped for the child (no room for their legs to go anywhere)....they wouldn't be in that seat for long, and then it also ate up so much interior space.
Just sayin'
I don't disagree with your points, but she TRULY doesn't fit in it anymore. So the powers at be mandate that she goes rear facing and has ZERO legroom

1621901091528.png

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
No idea. But if you’re near Denver u can come over (already had both of my shots) and I’ll pull the car out so u can play Tetris in the back seat.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
We run Diono Radian RXT’s, they can fit 3 wide in the Tacoma, haven’t tried the GTI. They look significantly different from the 3RX referenced

Good luck.

rear facing using LATCH was great, but you must use the top anchors to the front seat rail to get the seat to be fully locked down. The other trick I use is to kneel my fat ass in the seat while I crank down on the mounting, LATCH or seatbelt, this is the ticket. Diono makes a base pad that lifts the seat to allow for more front seat room, the pad works great for kneeling on after you are front facing.