GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Got a new bench/table for the printers. Have it set up so I have an area I can remove supports without getting filament everywhere. Hung a light I had lying around but would like to hard wire it into the switched lights. Need to get more racks for filament up. I only have my PLA out and keep ASA, PETG and TPU in the bag they are shipped in with desiccant packets.

View attachment 276518
That's a great set-up you've got going. It looks like you do some sanding/finishing on the side there too. I'd consider doing a pegboard or something similar on that corner so you can keep tools and whatever you might need around but keep the table space open.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
I don’t have a dryer yet but need to get one before it starts getting hot. I want to get a Eibos one due to its internal fan to get the moisture out of the box.
I like that it has a dedicated spot for desiccant. I normally shove like 4-5 of those desiccant packs you get when you buy filament in the center of whatever roll i'm drying along with a hygrometer. I've noticed just having desiccant in the box has been doing the trick with keeping the moisture down in the dryer.

Then again I've only tested this in the dry winter......let's see how this works in the humid summer months.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
That's a great set-up you've got going. It looks like you do some sanding/finishing on the side there too. I'd consider doing a pegboard or something similar on that corner so you can keep tools and whatever you might need around but keep the table space open.

I like the peg board idea, and I can print my own custom peg board attachments!! I might make something for the top of my enclosure to organize/hold my tools I use the most for printing but it’s just cutters and an Allen key so maybe not worth the time. I like having the Neptune on the bottom to give me the extra bench space but feel like it might get annoying when I actually go to use it.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I like that it has a dedicated spot for desiccant. I normally shove like 4-5 of those desiccant packs you get when you buy filament in the center of whatever roll i'm drying along with a hygrometer. I've noticed just having desiccant in the box has been doing the trick with keeping the moisture down in the dryer.

Then again I've only tested this in the dry winter......let's see how this works in the humid summer months.

Yeah I’m fully expecting all my filament to go to crap once summer hits. I don’t know if it’s practical but I had considered trying to turn one of my shelving units into a heater storage area for filament.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Ohh that’s really cool!! I might give that a go

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Well... I just broke my hot end fan. In my infinite wisdom I thought I could use my pocket knife to gently remove a piece of lint from the fan, while it was moving. Genius I tell ya...

Guess I better find me some quieter fans for the the hotend, the mobo, the parts cooler and maybe even the power supply. Been considering it for a while, guess now's a good a time as any. Going to have to do some research.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I agree. I have read it takes over 8 hours to build but I’d save the $300 and build it for the experience.

They have upgrade kits I’d consider for my 3+ but will wait for reviews to see if it’s worth it.

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Sorry I didn't go back and read through all the pages, but has anyone printed anything GTI specific? The frame that holds the boot on the gear selector (DSG) on my car broke a couple of years ago and I've been on the search for a way to replace it. I've always thought that maybe someone with a 3D printer would be way to go. A little hot glue has been holding it in place, but I'd still like to find a solution.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
There is a thread around here with GTI specific stuff in it (I think mostly MK7 stuff if I remember correctly).

If I had a DSG I’d give it a go at making the piece. A 3D printer becomes an irreplaceable tool if you know CAD or are willing to learn.