GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6MT 1st gear taking off and engagement

joshuawheat

I am looking to see what the 6MT owners are doing as far as taking off in first rpm-wise. I notice that I have to apply gas or the car shakes and end up at 12-1500 rpm when taking off (roughly 1 sec or so). I’m curious to see what others are doing as far as rpms from a halt?

*side note- I have deleted the delay valve and have a dogbone insert*

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you mean the hesitation I first gear ?
Mine still does this , mine has been back to the dealers two years ago they said that they cured the fault, they didn’t , I gave up and just live with it but shouldn’t have to.

Forgot to say this is in the mm 7.5 Golf.

joshuawheat

Do you mean the hesitation I first gear ?
Mine still does this , mine has been back to the dealers two years ago they said that they cured the fault, they didn’t , I gave up and just live with it but shouldn’t have to.

Forgot to say this is in the mm 7.5 Golf.
I just mean on the 6MT cars what rpm are you guys using when taking off from a halt

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@joshuawheat; I don’t own a manual car now (I have my first DSG) but I drove manuals for well over 40 years. I can‘t say I ever consciously considered what the engine rpm’s were - or should be - when pulling away from standstill. From my experience, it’s all about getting the balance right between applying pressure to the accelerator pedal and releasing the clutch pedal, and using just enough rpm‘s to move off smoothly and not stall the engine - not using excessive rpm’s where you’re over-revving the engine and wasting fuel. More often than not, you can find that no two cars behave the same when pulling away from rest - even cars of the same make and model. I’ve had courtesy cars from my dealer that were the same make / model as the car I owned at the time and the clutch action / rpms required to move off from rest was different in the courtesy car compared to my car. I’d also say that the amount of rpms required to pull away smoothly from rest in a GTI may be different when compared to, say, a Golf 1.5 R-Line, so responses from forum members might not be relevant to your particular model of Golf if they don’t own the same model as you do.

You can hear and feel through natural instinct if you need to use a little more or less engine rpm’s to achieve a smooth start from rest. IMHO there’s no ‘one size fits all’ answer to your question, as the amount of engine rpm’s required when moving off will vary depending on circumstances; e.g. when pulling away on a upward facing slope or incline in a car without driver aids such as hill hold, you may need to use more engine rpm’s than you would when pulling away on a level surface or a downward facing slope.

I’d suggest you find somewhere quiet away from other traffic (in an empty car park perhaps) where you can get used to your specific car‘s characteristics when moving away from rest, and getting the balance right between accelerator and clutch pedal usage. Alternatively, if you feel there’s an issue with your specific car, then consider getting a tech from your dealership to test your car with you as passenger so you can see how they pull away from standstill and how many rpm’s they’re using.

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
From my experience driving manuals, its really a feel thing and timing . It depends on your action with your left foot, how fast you find the friction point. Are you new, becasue it just takes time when you first start. I have a 2015 GTI and a civic and the gti you do need more gas to get it going more slowly. Maybe just use a bit more gas.